986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Both headlights not working (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/22297-both-headlights-not-working.html)

Noboarders 10-02-2009 03:23 PM

Both headlights not working

Hi all, I have a 1999 boxster and both headlights went out on me.

I had a dealer installed a unit to turn on day time running lights a few years ago because I had to import the car to Canada.

Could this be the cause I have no lights?
I tried replacing fuses, maybe I didnt get replce the right one?
Can both headlights go out at the same time cause by fuse?

High beams - ok
Fog lights - ok
Turn signal - ok

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

ps
in the mean time, I switched the the sockets around high beams to low beams. I have driving lights at night when I turn on my high beams. Hope this is ok

Burg Boxster 10-02-2009 03:42 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by saying "I switched the the sockets around high beams to low beams"

did you check the bulbs?

All 3 (fog, high, and low) use the same H7 55W bulb (in the '99's halogen system)

B/c there is also a "city light" in the housing, a lot of people don't notice one bulb burnt out until both go...

I'd suggest taking all 3 bulbs on one side housing and move them all one spot either clockwise or counter c/w. Test and see which is still burnt out.

Let us know what you find.

Noboarders 10-02-2009 04:33 PM

Thanks for the response.

Without removing the bulbs, I removed the high beam electrical plug from the high beam bulb and installed it in the low beam bulb.

All bulbs are ok. I tried using new bulbs and still same results. High beams and fogs are working. Seems like no no power from low beam plugs.
Keep in mind that no low beams on both Rh and Lh side.

Its raining today and maybe the electrical component that the dealer installed got wet. no oppurtunity to go back to the dealer. Warranty is done and its located in Florida and Im in Canada.

Where would the dealer install this component?

Burg Boxster 10-02-2009 05:35 PM

what component? the DRL (relays & wiring)?

Are your DRL's working correctly? See this link for the location of the relays in panel under the dash (above the fuse panel). If you pull the relay while the car is running (not just on) and reinsert it, you should feel it kick on. Or you can test the relay and the panel w/ a digital multimeter. Does it click on? Getting juice when running?

Are you sure you checked the correct fuses for the lights? Should be Row A #9 and & 10 (both 15A fuses). You can replace either w/ one of the spares at the bottom of the fuse panel. There is a fuse diagram inside the panel but in case you need, here's a link to one online.

Also, in the fuse panel, Row E #1 (7.5A) fuse says DRL Canada but if that were blown you'd have other issues.

Are you having any other weird electrical gremlins? Have you tried jiggling either the key in the ignition while running or the headlight switch?

Noboarders 10-02-2009 06:24 PM

Thanks Burg Boxster... I will give that a try.

Regarding the fuses. I looked at my chart and seems like the dealer scratch whats on A6 fuse chart and wrote daytime running light. I checked the fuse A6 and seems to be working.

Thanks for the advise and I will try them.
I will keep you posted.

Noboarders 10-03-2009 12:11 PM

Update on the low beam headlight not working.

All fuses are ok.
I compared the relay chart to what I have. Since it used to be an American car, the relay slot #6 and #7 CU Daytime Running Light are empty slots.

However, the relay slot #1 suppose to be empty now has 4 wires and attached to a relay. Description: tyco VC23134-C52-X90 with a BMW logo (funny that a porsche dealer that installed it.)

Could this be what the dealer installed and needs to be replaced?

Damn those electrical gremlins...

Burg Boxster 10-03-2009 01:29 PM

certainly could be but use a DMM to check the wires leading to it first. If no juice on the front side, then relay could be OK. Reason dealer installed it here is US cars were not prewired for DRL (on early 986s). So your dealer, probably having done a few before, most likely found it easier to run wires there and just use a generic relay from tyco. Same function. Good news is tyco relay is common and you'll most likely be able to find one in an auto parts store. Maybe not the tyco brand, but the wiring std/pin sizes. Anyhow, I digress...

If you find power on the front side, you certainly could just run a jumper wire in the relay's absence to get the DRLs to work (and to test it). Here's another thought (as I don't know how your DRLs are wired thru, w/, or around the std headlight switch. I assume it should bypasses it but.... did you try the lights w/ the DRL relay removed?

Also, not to restate the obvious, but are you 1000% certain all three H7 bulbs (low, high and fog) are good? Many people confuse which bulb is which in the housing b/c it's counterintuitive (low is highest, fog & high are lower).

Keep us posted...

:)

PS - Here's a link to the data sheet for your relay so you'll know where to run a jumper wire from to test...

kimbo 10-05-2009 04:52 AM

probably the switch

I had a problem with only the parking lights and fog lights coming on but not the main headlights. Fix was to replace the dashboard switch. I understand they are problematic. Mine was in warranty but the dealer wanted about ~$300. to do it.

Noboarders 10-07-2009 07:29 AM

Sorry I havent tested anything yet. However, I found the invoice when I had the daytime running lights installed.
It states:

A customer states have day time running lights installed
S16 Wire vehicle for daytime running lights

1) 838 CPP 3.00 (labor)
2) 1 61-36-1-729-004 Relay
3) 1 PNA-721-043-00-036 repair set F - #9600

Parts: 44.63 Labor: 300.00
35265 wire vehicle for option M606. Fuse A6 install for 30 Power
Terminal 85 & 86 pre wire to vehicle 15 power circuit. Terminal 87 via
Relay operate option M606 – Relay install in relay support #1 relay
Location #1

I tried to remove the relay but they installed it to tight to the wires. I will try the trouble shoot this weekend.

The first item is hours of labor, the second item is the relay but what is the next item "PNA-721-043-00-036 repair set F - #9600"?????

Thanks again for all the help

werksporsche 12-31-2016 09:06 AM

I just bought a 1998 Boxster and have the same problem with the dim headlights as described by others. I have read several posting and following some of the advice, I can confirm that the fuses are in good order, the light bulbs are also OK and I have replaced both the light switch and ignition switch and the dim lights are still not working. I have taken out the headlights****to check the light bulbs as well as to make sure there is a good contact. The high beam flash works fine but they don't stay on****if I push the lever towards the dash - which should put the high beams on continuously. I have made these test with the car's engine running.

Looking at the wiring diagram in the Bentley manual I can only assume that the problem****could be related with the high beam switch. Certainly that another possibility could be a wiring problem.****

Has any one had the same problem? Appreciate any advice or suggestions before I disassemble the steering column to replace the high beam, turn signals, wiper switch assembly which is also not cheap.

Thanks****

EdPrem 06-02-2020 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by werksporsche (Post 521177)
I just bought a 1998 Boxster and have the same problem with the dim headlights as described by others. I have read several posting and following some of the advice, I can confirm that the fuses are in good order, the light bulbs are also OK and I have replaced both the light switch and ignition switch and the dim lights are still not working. I have taken out the headlights****to check the light bulbs as well as to make sure there is a good contact. The high beam flash works fine but they don't stay on****if I push the lever towards the dash - which should put the high beams on continuously. I have made these test with the car's engine running.

Looking at the wiring diagram in the Bentley manual I can only assume that the problem****could be related with the high beam switch. Certainly that another possibility could be a wiring problem.****

Has any one had the same problem? Appreciate any advice or suggestions before I disassemble the steering column to replace the high beam, turn signals, wiper switch assembly which is also not cheap.

Thanks****

I have the same problem. I replaced the ignition switch, the light switch and the stalk switch. Nothing has fixed the problem.