Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2005, 02:19 PM   #1

Tinted Windows

Is it just me, or does it seem like most Boxsters' windows you see aren't tinted? That leads me to this question. Can the back plastic window be tinted?

If so, does it start to look like crap with all the folding and chopping that takes place?

Who here has tinted windows?

2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #2

I have never seen a black plastic back window that has been tinted, leading me to sumize that it cannot be done.

On the side windows, sure but I have never seen this either.

As I picture it in my mind, I don't like what I see. Besides the factory tint on the side windows is already pretty dark to my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
Is it just me, or does it seem like most Boxsters' windows you see aren't tinted? That leads me to this question. Can the back plastic window be tinted?

If so, does it start to look like crap with all the folding and chopping that takes place?

Who here has tinted windows?
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:05 PM   #3

It seems like it would be hard to tint something that has to bend. I would imagine you would need an entire new rear window in which the tint is actually part of the plastic and not an appliqué.

Also, if you are going to tint the windows, you should probably get the hard top. Depending on the reason for tinting, it really doesn’t make all that much sense to tint the windows of a convertible.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:27 AM   #4

Top off... Window up or down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QporscheQ
Also, if you are going to tint the windows, you should probably get the hard top. Depending on the reason for tinting, it really doesn’t make all that much sense to tint the windows of a convertible.
My hard top is on the way! I think the tint will look great with the HT.

As for my reason for the tint job... I hate people starring at me at red lights and asking for autographs... uhhhh, OR...
...I live it Texas and when you park a car in weather that's too hot even for a convertible, it gets quite INFERNO-LIKE inside. Tint helps oh-so much!

DRIVING PREFERENCE:
I have another question, do you good folks generally drive with your windows up or down with the top off?
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:21 PM   #5

For me it is:

Long duration high speed drive = windows up...

Colder weather any speed = windows up + heated seats on...

Anything else, windows down.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:31 PM   #6

Tinted Windows

I have looked extensively on the options for tinting the convertible rear window, and the bottom line that I cam e up with is that the only option is to have the rear plastic professionally replaced with plastic that has the tint incorporated in the plastic. I am not comfortable with trying this option, maybe because it is not really that big of a deal for me, but thought it would be nice to put a slight tint all the way around the car since it is triple black.
porscheguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:10 PM   #7

How would you do this anyway? I don't see how a plastic window would work in the old soft top of the Box. Am I missing something?
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #8

I don't mind the common folk staring at me at stoplights, or even asking me for autographs. It's just the "Ah ****************, you're nobody" when I give it to them that I can't stand.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
How would you do this anyway? I don't see how a plastic window would work in the old soft top of the Box. Am I missing something?

I have a 99 Boxster, and it has a plastic rear window in the soft top. I am not sure what your question is.
porscheguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:54 PM   #10

Well I tried to circumvent this by tinting teh wind stop. Worked great, I had teh door windows tinted and the deflector. Only problem was one day, while travelling at ahemm a high rate of speed with the top down, I kept hearing a ruffling noise. Then in one burst of wind the tint blew right off the wind deflector and into the air. Lost forever....
Next time I'll try tinting the outside of the wind deflector instead of the cockpit side.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote