986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Does anyone have a sprung clutch with a LWFW installed? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/22142-does-anyone-have-sprung-clutch-lwfw-installed.html)

violametallic-S- 09-19-2009 09:48 AM

Does anyone have a sprung clutch with a LWFW installed?

Im in need of a new clutch and Im planning to upgrade to a stage 2 sprung clutch most likely from Spec. And also im looking for a LWFL. Does anyone have a similar set up? If so can I get your reviews? what kind, how does it feel? etc..

Thank you.

23109VC 09-19-2009 10:10 AM

if you search you will find other threads on clutches and LWFWs. I recall reading several of them and the general consensus was that a LWFW was a bad idea on our cars.

there were a handful of people who had them and really like the increased responsiveness, but Jake and others who are "in the know" have said you are basicallyh playing russian roulette with your motor if you put one on...

search for flywheel, clutch, etc.

I'd be interested to hear what you do...my car has 75k miles, stock clutch, and I'm sure i'll be doing one at some point... if there ends up being a SAFE way to do a LWFW, I'm all in.

violametallic-S- 09-19-2009 10:28 AM

Ive been doing research non stop on this topic. And from what Ive read it seems that you can do a LWFW as long as you have a sprung clutch. Many people have been complaining about vibrations and noise and all of them didnt have a sprung clutch. So Im hoping someone here has this set up and can report back.....

Cloudsurfer 09-19-2009 11:41 AM

The throttle response from losing that much rotating mass off the motor is great, however, to avoid chatter and vibration and for the benefit/ safety of the driveline, you want a sprung clutch.

rob76turbo 09-19-2009 02:32 PM

I am thinking along similar lines, but does the spec line have a version for our cars that is s sprung clutch?

violametallic-S- 09-19-2009 04:03 PM

Should I be looking for a single mass LWFW or a dual mass? What is the difference?

Cloudsurfer 09-19-2009 05:35 PM

You won't find a lightweight dual mass. Single mass is just that: one piece of metal. A dual mass has two pieces that are held together with elastomeric material to allow some "give" to dampen driveline forces.

Spec does make a sprung clutch (they'll make pretty much whatever you want actually), and if you do go to a single mass flywheel, a sprung centered clutch is the only acceptable way to do it.

JFP in PA 09-20-2009 09:37 AM

You are missing one very important point: The dual mass flywheel acts as a vibration dampener for the engine; the sprung clutch acts as a dampener for the drive line………..taking away the dual mass dampening can result in problems as the largest vibration dampener on the engine is now missing.

Cloudsurfer 09-20-2009 10:13 AM

That is absolutely true. In my ideal world, I'd like a lightwight dual mass unit, but alas, I've never seen one produced for any application.

JFP in PA 09-21-2009 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm750
That is absolutely true. In my ideal world, I'd like a lightwight dual mass unit, but alas, I've never seen one produced for any application.

Which is why I totally agree with Jake on this one, and wouldn’t run one without internally balancing the M96 first………….these engines have enough issues without increasing their internal harmonics.

Jake Raby 09-21-2009 11:27 AM

I have recently experienced a broken crankshaft from an engine equipped with an LWFW that was dynamically balanced as an assembly with the engine totally disassembled. (I did not assemble it)

But that person has broken 4 crankshafts since last October.

edevlin 09-21-2009 12:53 PM

"But that person has broken 4 crankshafts since last October"

We have a wild person running loose.....

Ed

:dance:

blinkwatt 09-21-2009 01:23 PM

What in the world can you do to break 4 crankshafts in a row?

JFP in PA 09-21-2009 02:05 PM

Shaking the loving crap out of the internals will do it all by itself............. That is why I just love it when the “complex carbohydrate adolescents” pull the balance shafts out of their high winding four cylinders to gain 4 HP…….

sb01box 09-25-2009 06:13 PM

My limited understand from reading about dual mass flywheel is that it's function is to smooth out the power spikes from the engine to limit jack hammering the transmision and the drivetrain and to prevent power spike reflection from damaging the engine.
based on the torque of the engine and masses of the dual flywheel, I'm guessing that the effective rpm range for dual mass is during clutch engagement and that at higher rpm, the spring coupler is not changing.
my naive thinking is that at some rpm and higher, dual mass flywheel is no longer "dual mass" and becomes one mass.
am I all wet?