Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #1

Smoke every time I start

Well heck - what's going on?

My car is running great - same power as ever, nice and smooth, idle is fine, running temperature same as ever... but two things have happened suddenly:

It blows tons of white smoke every time I start. I know about a box engine occasionally starting with a puff when the rings line up, but this is now every time, even if it has only been off for several minutes. Once it clears things are fine, although it just now did it again when I came to a stop sign. Then it cleared again.

This began a few days ago when another thing popped up - a sound. Coming from the engine compartment, it sounds like a slipping belt on a pulley. A fairly loud squeal. Doesn't change with speed, and stops when I stop and the engine drops to an idle. Doesn't begin right away when I take off, but after several seconds, and oh yeah - only once the engine is fully warmed up. Doesn't behave like a slipping belt (belt is only ten thousand miles old), but sounds like it.

No OBD reports - I checked. What's up??? 2001 S with 65,000 miles

Kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #2

Look in your throttle body

and see if there is oil there. Or look at your oil level and see if it is down. Suspect is AOS. Messy DIY for around $120 in parts if you shop hard.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/airoilseparatorreplacement
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #3

+1 for the AOS.
Try removing the oil filler cap while the car is running. If it's being sucked on and hard to remove then the AOS is likely the culprit.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #4

did that repair about two weeks ago... suggestion is to have it done asap cause when it fails it doesnt tell you its coming... cheapest place in bay area is at micheal steade in livermore for $113.... couldn't wait for sunset to order the part and the other dealers on the peninsula are crooks...
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #5

An occasional smoke on startup is normal, because of the layout of the flat 6 engine.
But when the smoke becomes constant at startup you need to look into the problem which most likely, as has been stated, will be the air/oil separator.
Do not put it off.
If the A/O separator completely fails and send a stream of oil into your combustion chambers you can hydrolock (destroy) the engine with no warning.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 09-03-2009, 03:46 AM   #6

Aos

I just replaced my AOS last weekend and no more puffs of smoke on startup!

My car has 15K miles and the AOS showed no signs of leaking anywhere, when I replaced it the issue went away for good!!!

Spend the $100 and 2 hours later you'll be much happer!

Follow Mike's instructions...

Good luck.

-Steve
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #7

I'm having a similar issue as Kevfra.

I am suspecting the AOS, air/oil separator, because of the of the same white smoke at start up. The check engine light came on last week, and it's happening at every start up now. I also get some sort of squeal with initial start up that seems to go away after the car has been running.

I tested to see if could open the oil cap while the engine was running and it was on there pretty tight, which seems to suggest that the AOS is at fault here.

Calling around, the local Porsche place wants under $400 to repair it, including the AOS part and new hose and labor. The dealer wants over $700. I hate the dealer here because they've always been rude to me. Being a kid with a Porsche, they always look down on me, or so it seems.

The AOS itselft costs about $100 bucks. I'm going to take it in today.

I just got an oil change a few weeks ago, does anyone know what causes the AOS to fail? It's been 100+ degrees here this summer in San Diego and my car sits outside at work. Could the extreme heat have something to do with it?
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevfra
Well heck - what's going on?

My car is running great - same power as ever, nice and smooth, idle is fine, running temperature same as ever... but two things have happened suddenly:

It blows tons of white smoke every time I start. I know about a box engine occasionally starting with a puff when the rings line up, but this is now every time, even if it has only been off for several minutes. Once it clears things are fine, although it just now did it again when I came to a stop sign. Then it cleared again.

This began a few days ago when another thing popped up - a sound. Coming from the engine compartment, it sounds like a slipping belt on a pulley. A fairly loud squeal. Doesn't change with speed, and stops when I stop and the engine drops to an idle. Doesn't begin right away when I take off, but after several seconds, and oh yeah - only once the engine is fully warmed up. Doesn't behave like a slipping belt (belt is only ten thousand miles old), but sounds like it.

No OBD reports - I checked. What's up??? 2001 S with 65,000 miles

Is your car doing this? I had this problem a few weeks ago - AOS. I have heard that adding too much oil can cause it, but not sure. My car was doing this.. but imagine twice as much smoke. I had it towed immediately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkQ8xFDDAxY
Arctic Silver /Black interior
Desnorkled then REsnorkled (planning on Revo flash & prob B&B Exhaust)
mylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon
An occasional smoke on startup is normal, because of the layout of the flat 6 engine...
Pedro
That is an 'Old Wives' Tale! There is no greater propensity for a Boxer engine to smoke on startup than any other IC motor.

As proof, all you need to do is look at Subaru's boxer-4 and flat-6 engines, they do not smoke.

If a horizontally opposed motor smokes on startup, there's an issue with rings, valves or guides, or in the case of the Boxster, the AOS.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #10

I just noticed this on mine today. I took it out for a run as I wasn't sure if there was water in the exhaust system. It cleared up and was fine after warming....

At the moment I'm led to believe either AOS or head gasket......kind of hoping the former.

On a plus side, I've replaced the MAF sensor today, and the car idles much more stable now. Not as stable as I'd like to be honest, but much better
willd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
That is an 'Old Wives' Tale! There is no greater propensity for a Boxer engine to smoke on startup than any other IC motor.

As proof, all you need to do is look at Subaru's boxer-4 and flat-6 engines, they do not smoke.

If a horizontally opposed motor smokes on startup, there's an issue with rings, valves or guides, or in the case of the Boxster, the AOS.

Subaru engines do puff on startup every once in a while too. Now the hydrolock statement, that's unrealistic.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #12

My wife's Mercedes A/O failed and the mechanic said it has a 90% failure rate between 70-95K on her particular car.

Is there an approximate mileage range on the Boxster where i should consider changing these on a preemptive basis? Thanks.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #13

Back when I first had my car, it would smoke for a second on the first start if it sat for several days or more. It would puff out a decent size cloud if it sat for more than a week. This was with 0w40 M1. I switched to a 5w40 (for several reasons) and the smoke is gone, regardless of time between starts.

Samson is offline   Reply With Quote