986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Cracking Sound from Boxster Top? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/21933-cracking-sound-boxster-top.html)

mcrg00 08-31-2009 04:38 PM

Cracking Sound from Boxster Top?

Hello. I have a 2000 Boxster, which is in great shape and runs like a top. The one thing that drives me nuts from time to time is that when I hit a bump, there is a sound that comes from the convertible top on the driver's side. It sounds like a high school class ring hitting the passenger window. I have tried to determine the exact location of the sound, without luck. The top is in good shape and the frame is, too. Any ideas? Thx.

clickman 09-01-2009 04:30 PM

I get the same sound, but I only started noticing it this summer (top down). So obviously in my case it's not coming from the top!

mcrg00 09-01-2009 05:30 PM

Cracking Sound from Boxster Top

When the top's down, it's beautiful -- not a sound. I only get the noise when the top's up and it sounds like something in the top frame. Does anyone know of a good diagram of the top online?

wanna986 09-01-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrg00
When the top's down, it's beautiful -- not a sound. I only get the noise when the top's up and it sounds like something in the top frame. Does anyone know of a good diagram of the top online?

Check to make sure nothing like seatback or rollbar insert is vibrating/hitting something.

roadracer311 09-01-2009 07:02 PM

I've got the same sound and it's driving me nuts. Someone on renntech had it too, but I haven't seen any solution posted there either.

JTP 09-02-2009 12:45 AM

Mine does that too. At first I thought the glass was loose and was slapping the top, but it wasn't it. That rattle drives me nuts.

yimmy149 09-02-2009 03:21 PM

For those of you that hear it with the top down, it sounds like the door creaking to me. Try wrapping some electrical tape on the door latch posts (the part that is perpendicular to the door frame. If it stops, supposedly you can then switch to masking tape that use that to tell you wish way to adjust the posts. So far I've been lazy and just left the elec tape on. :)

-james

ppbon 09-02-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrg00
Hello. I have a 2000 Boxster, which is in great shape and runs like a top. The one thing that drives me nuts from time to time is that when I hit a bump, there is a sound that comes from the convertible top on the driver's side. It sounds like a high school class ring hitting the passenger window. I have tried to determine the exact location of the sound, without luck. The top is in good shape and the frame is, too. Any ideas? Thx.

The cracking sound from the top generally comes from the two pieces that make the center bow.
When they expand and move against each other you can hear the cracking sound, also when you push up on the bow from inside the car.
The way I've cured it is by spraying a silicone lubricant between the parts.
This will generally cure it for one or two seasons and then it comes back as the silicone dries.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

mcrg00 09-18-2009 02:52 PM

Cracking Sound from Boxster Top

Thanks to everyone for your input. Pedro's center bow comment makes the most sense to me because the sound doesn't occur when the top is down. And it sounds like it's coming from just above my left ear.

The trick question now for me is where to spray the silicone. I see that there is a small panel above the driver's side window that flips up, but don't know if that's the place to spray or not. Would appreciate recommendations.

Thanks again...mcrg00 :cheers: