Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #1

Talking Want to flash to RoW

I was just wondering if anyone in Florida has a PST2, who wouldn't mind flashing my DME to RoW (maybe for a small fee?).

The main reason for this is that I have cat bypass pipes, and even though I had O2 bungs installed in the same spot as my oem pipes, and replaced all four with new ones, I get a cel about every 300-400 miles or so. I'd also like to turn on my OBC, and have not yet found anyone to do so.

....On another note, haven't any of the "computer-hackers" out there figured out a way to use their windows based laptop, and buy an inexpensive OBD-II to USB cable (tons of these on ebay) and download a program such as PIWIS to do this at home?

releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Wouldn't flashing it to RoW spec yield more ponies? :chicken:
Old 08-28-2009, 02:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Wouldn't flashing it to RoW spec yield more ponies? :chicken:
If it does, I'm in line. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:13 AM   #4

is flashing to ROW going to net you a similar change as if you just flash with some of the aftermarket ECU software???

i haven't researched it much but I know there are companies that claim to have hi performance engine flashes for the boxsters.... you might get similar benefits... if the ROW flash simply has removed a lot of the US emission stuff, and other restrictions....

both options may get you the same result??? not sure which is better or cheaper... jsut a thought...
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #5

From the information I gather it only disables the oxygen sensor check, therefore it will not light up check engine light if you don't have them on the car.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:59 AM   #6

from what I understand it also does not throw a check engine light if you have some slight miss fires and small things like that. I would like to know if I have a problem with anything asap. I was going to do the rest of the world flash when I had my ecu done for my 3.4 but we talked about it and decided on keeping what we got here. Some one look into that more. Todd knows all about it. I don't see him around here no more though?
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by releese78
....On another note, haven't any of the "computer-hackers" out there figured out a way to use their windows based laptop, and buy an inexpensive OBD-II to USB cable (tons of these on ebay) and download a program such as PIWIS to do this at home?

I would not expect more power from the RoW reflash, just no CEL.

As for the PC hack of a PST2, there is a PC version of the PST2, but you still need the Bosch interface card and special cable, which are still spendy. There were two versions of the PST2, one that used it's own computer and one that used a standard PC. There is a way to buy the PST2 type of computer and hack it to run the PST2 software and save some money that way. If you do a google search you can find where someone did this. It looks like a major hack though, not something simple.

Okay, here are some links to the threads I was talking about (I hate to leave anything hanging and not provide the link):

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=413937

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24484

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #8

Good info, thanks a bunch!

It doesn't look like anyone has a "Straight-forward" easy, foolproof way to do it yet though. I, like one of the other posters on Renntech, have several old laptops laying around, and older versions of Windows such as 98 and 3.1 which I could install if necessary. I just don't know exactly where to get the card, cable and software, and how to make them "talk". The other issue is from what I've read, you need a little more than just the basic PST2 software to convert to RoW.

Sounds like it would be easier if I could just find someone remotely in the Florida area to do this for me at a fee. ......anyone, anyone, Bueller? LOL
releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by releese78
The other issue is from what I've read, you need a little more than just the basic PST2 software to convert to RoW.

Correct. You would need the actual RoW Boxster flash in addition to the PST2. I don't believe that's built into the PST2 software. The person to ask would be Loren on Renntech.org. Loren owns the site, is a GREAT guy, and he owns a PST2 laptop version. I know I asked him about how to do this before and I believe he had an answer for me, but I can't really recall right now. Loren also will do stuff to your car for you (as he has for me), but he lives in Northern California, nowhere near you. Time for a little road trip dude!!!

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #10

All the maps are in the PST2/PIWIS, it isn't anything that is added on. The ROW configuration doesn't give you any performance advantage, just eliminates a number of OBDII and emissions requirements and stupid things like having to depress the clutch in order to start the car. As Jay states it also gives broader parameters before a CEL is triggered, however misfire(flashing) CEL are still triggered the same as the LEV or OBDII configureation.

-Todd
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:05 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Todd would I be able to pass smog with a RoW flashed DME?
Old 08-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #12

As long as the cats are still in place, it should. It still gives all the OBDII readiness codes as OK even for the components that it ignores.

-Todd

1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote