Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAustinW
Wow! What an amazing difference. Best cheap mod I've done to my boxster. :dance:
Looks nice eh!? take some pics and post i wanna see. When my wife drives the boxster and i'm next to her she turns the whole left side of the road blue haha

The write up help u out?

bigborian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
totally helped. I pretty much ignored the instructions that came with. Installation was easy and I did it all in about half an hour. If I had to do it again it would probably take me ten minutes now that I know what I'm doing.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #23

Do you guys find the the 6000k bulbs to be too blue? I have a pair of 6500's in my Lexus GX470 and on the rare occasions when I've driven in front of the car, the lights look like a rice mobile. When driving the car though, they look awesome. I ended up going back to 4300k.

I'm tempted to go with the 5000k for the Boxster.
mwbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwbuck
Do you guys find the the 6000k bulbs to be too blue? I have a pair of 6500's in my Lexus GX470 and on the rare occasions when I've driven in front of the car, the lights look like a rice mobile. When driving the car though, they look awesome. I ended up going back to 4300k.

I'm tempted to go with the 5000k for the Boxster.

I think it looks real clean. They do light up the street a blueish color but from right behind you they are white and very clear and clean
Old 09-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #25

Is anybody getting any error messages with this kit?
TSS4LSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #26

I installed mine about a month ago while waiting for new AOS to show up, so car has sat for a few weeks. When I started it up with battery half dead and turned headlights on - the battery light and oil pressure lights turned on, but went away when I restarted the car.
the battery charged up and I never had another problem.

I was also debating between 5000 and 6000k.
yes, many cars have blue colored headlights this days; HIDs, cheap ebay ones, sylvania silver stars (which arent bad actually), but I don't think 6000k looks cheap.
So unless you are planing on installing purple 13000k HIDs, you should be good.

hope it helps n post some pics of 5000k
al83s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:35 AM   #27

Update on my HID install. So it's been going good for a little while but 2 nights ago i noticed that when i went over bumps the light would flicker a little bit like the bulb was not snug in the socket. I decided to check it out and it turns out the bulb had melted the little plastic casing that it came with and was now just freely bouncing around.

What i did was I just took some needle nose pliers and cut the melted plastic off so that i just had the bulb and then put that into the bulb housing of the headlight. Then i took the original wire thing that keeps the bulb tight on the back of the bulb assembly and manipulated it to secure the bulb in place. It's not very snug in the bulb housing socket of the headlight.

When we drove around with it we noticed an IMMEDIATE difference. It's REALLY bright and the light profects VERY far. Almost to the point of this might be borderline illegal. When we drive it lights up the entire road on the 3 lane highway. If we are all the way in the left lane the lights can light up and exit sign all the way to the right. Is this legal? Anyways visibility is amazing we can see everything coming from a mile away, cops did see the lights but they did not pull us over so i'm guessing they're fine?

We tried the highbeams and it made little difference. The only real difference is that the high beams are yellow and it goes just a little above where the white lights end. I see the same kind of lights on hummers and trucks though and they are high up and right in my rearview where as we are low to the ground. Anyone know what the legal limitations are?
Old 01-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #28

Just wanted to update on the hid's. They are working great been a couple months now and the road lights up nice and bright and the lights look amazing. However i did run into the problem of the HID bulbs melting the clear plastic piece on the housing piece. I fixed this by going into it again and just ripping out the clear plastic piece out on the bulb housing piece. Just take some needle nose pliers or even just regular pliers and break that piece off. That way you can just place the bulbs into the housing and place the metal clips on the back nice and tight into the bulb housing.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #29

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried the new SMD LED H7 bulbs?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Xenon-HID-White-SMD-Xenon-LED-H7-HeadLight-Light-Bulbs_W0QQitemZ280445505037QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item414bdace0d
Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:08 AM   #30

Bought mine, they are shipping and should have them by saturday

i got the 35W, 5000K H7.
I'd rather have them a bit whiter, not crazy about the 'blue hue'.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:42 AM   #31

Quick update on this HID kit.

Installation was flawless, very easy.
And result seems pretty good:
Before

After

Bulb are 35W, 5000K.
All for $80 with shipping :dance: