986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Towing a boxter (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/21845-towing-boxter.html)

jsceash 08-25-2009 11:52 AM

Towing a boxster

Can some give the the facts about towing a boxster

pschaub 08-25-2009 12:04 PM

Towing and Road Service Guide for Porsche Vehicles

Try the site below.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/towingaboxster

I keep a hard copy of this PDF behind my seats just in case I get stranded somewhere and need to explain to the tow truck driver....

From page 2 of the PDF:

"CAR CARRIER EQUIPMENT IS THE ONLY APPROVED TRANSPORTING METHOD FOR
ALL PORSCHE MODELS."

Hope this points you in the right direction.
:cheers:

jsceash 08-25-2009 12:14 PM

Towing a boxster

I'm aware of the general statement published by Porsche. I was interested in knowing why overal other than warranty issued statments. A 05 equiped with a manual transmission can or can not be towed what are the possible consequences etc.

70Sixter 08-25-2009 12:38 PM

Worst case is bent aluminum or other alloy undercarriage parts from hooking up tow equipment.

Similar to why you don't just put a jack just anywhere.

Edit: By the way, Tip owners might need to know how to get car into neutral in case of total electrical failure.

Maybe it is not a problem with Porsches, But....

Wife's 07 X5 just lost all electrics and we could not get it into neutral because special tool was locked in spare tire area also due to electrical loss. :(

Dollies were required as it could not be dragged onto a flatbed wrecker.

JFP in PA 08-25-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash
I'm aware of the general statement published by Porsche. I was interested in knowing why overal other than warranty issued statments. A 05 equiped with a manual transmission can or can not be towed what are the possible consequences etc.

It is too easy to seriously damage the car flat towing it; get a flatbed to haul it.....

jsceash 08-25-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA
It is too easy to seriously damage the car flat towing it; get a flatbed to haul it.....

Could you be more speciffic.

mikefocke 08-25-2009 04:31 PM

To tow a car

by lifting the front, you have to have something to hook onto. In the old days there was a metal bumper attached to the frame...all steel...and out in front of everything. Not any more.

The towing lift mechanism also has to clear all the fragile components (think radiators and all that) and the cosmetic ones (like bumpers and the bumper support structure).

The AAA guide Mike refers to isn't just Porsche's advice, AAA doesn't want to pay damages when one of their contractors does it wrong so they publish these guides.

Ignore at your own risk.

I too carry a printout in my cubby. So far it has warded off the evils.

JFP in PA 08-26-2009 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash
Could you be more speciffic.

Most “lift by the front wheels” tow rigs will not clear your front under tray and will cause damage to it and the radiators, and lifting the front high can actually make the rear hit the ground, usually at the exhaust tip area. Lifting the rear has the same issues, only now the truck is hitting things around the engine and exhaust, and the nose is dragging on the ground. This why your nose sometimes hits when pulling into a steep driveway entrance; same issue.

Find a flat bed or be prepared for large repair bills……………

And, it is spelled "Boxster".............

jsceash 08-26-2009 07:12 AM

Towing a Boxster

Here is my question again. Mechanically what does any one know what would prevent a 2005 Boxster from being flat towed that would harm the vehicle mechanically, electrically, etc.
I've been towing a Corvette that also says don't do this for the last 5 years. As far as ground clearence they look almost the same. This past summer while at Road Atlanta I saw a boxster Im thinking it was a 2000 being towed behind a motorhome with what looked like a BlueOx Kit with gravel screen and bug deflector. Which is what I would also like to do. Supprisingly I also think Ive located a mounting frame that bolts up to the car. It would involve removing various parts of the front bumper and cover and mount rigidly to the frame work. last and probably worst putting 2, 1-3/4" holes in the cover for removable tow pin.
I understand trailering is the best but in many venues there is no reseanable way to store a trailer in a 45 or 50' camping spot if you taking up 40 ' of it with a motorhome. The boxster is actually more fun to drive and it really would be nice to be able to enjoy the car while traveling and not have the headache of dealing with a trailer.

70Sixter 08-26-2009 11:20 AM

Recommend checking the Boxster Spec Racing sites. If anybody is flat towing Boxsters it'd probably be those guys.

seningen 08-17-2019 10:18 AM

Checking in here

Thinking of flat towing my cayman to the track for RV supporter DE weekends, or to have something driveable on just RV weekends. Not extreme distances, maybe 250 miles tops.

Looking for something that can have a quick connect.

I’ll ping the SPB guys (heck I’m one, but have a trailer for it).

I have all I need for my daughters Jeep, figure I can repurpose what’s not affixed to the jeeps frame.

1PorscheBoxster986 08-17-2019 12:23 PM

I had to get my Boxster towed. It must be the flat bed towing according to the owner's manual. It clearly says "vehicle must be towed with all four wheels off the ground, otherwise damage to the vehicle may result." You should use the tow hook (towing eye) that it comes with. I towed it from the front after removing the plug. You can tow it from the back as well onto a flatbed as well. You will need to remove your license plate to see it.

morgal48 08-19-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash (Post 189165)
Here is my question again. Mechanically what does any one know what would prevent a 2005 Boxster from being flat towed that would harm the vehicle mechanically, electrically, etc.
I've been towing a Corvette that also says don't do this for the last 5 years. As far as ground clearence they look almost the same. This past summer while at Road Atlanta I saw a boxster Im thinking it was a 2000 being towed behind a motorhome with what looked like a BlueOx Kit with gravel screen and bug deflector. Which is what I would also like to do. Supprisingly I also think Ive located a mounting frame that bolts up to the car. It would involve removing various parts of the front bumper and cover and mount rigidly to the frame work. last and probably worst putting 2, 1-3/4" holes in the cover for removable tow pin.
I understand trailering is the best but in many venues there is no reseanable way to store a trailer in a 45 or 50' camping spot if you taking up 40 ' of it with a motorhome. The boxster is actually more fun to drive and it really would be nice to be able to enjoy the car while traveling and not have the headache of dealing with a trailer.

Have the same interest. Been looking at trailering the car, but as noted those 70' campsites are like hen's teeth. Would like to know what you come up with.