Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 07:00 AM   #1

I still love my Boxster

Yesterday morning I took the box out of the garage, vacuumed out the interior and washed the car. Then I dusted the interior and went inside to take a shower. (In Houston, you gotta shower after 30 minutes outside in August at any time of the day or night!)

When I came out to the car, I noticed just how nice the car looked and when I opened the door and marveled at my new-to-me leather door panels I bought for $170 shipped and dropped the top.

This was the first morning in 4 months that the weather has been cool enough to actually enjoy top down driving here.

As I pulled out of the alleyway onto the road, I realized I still love my 108k 1997 Boxster. It's not new, it's not nearly as fast as newer models, but it's mine, all paid for, and Lord knows I've touched most every part on the car to fix it or replace it.

I just wanted future forum readers who are pondering the purchase of an older car to know that you can buy a $10k car and fix it up and enjoy it for many years to come. You don't have to go into debt buying a $40k car. Mine isn't the fastest, but it's a very satisfying car to own and drive.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 08-23-2009 at 07:03 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #2

Right there with you! I've only had my 97 for 4 months now but I love it!
Old 08-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #3

Great looking car, nice job!

Remember, the fluids on these older cars are vital. I recommend Red Line for the Box all around. As long as you avoid an engine/trans failure, you will stay ahead of the game.

Best of luck with the car.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #4

Bump. Because this is what I am looking for. During my second year of auto-xing my NB I started looking for a real auto-x car. I felt kinda like Dean Jones in "The Love Bug" movie. I drove a Mini an IS300 a miata and a S2000 but with each test drive I would get back in my bug and think they just do not compare. I really love this car. Fast foward to last year and I saw a boxster sitting on a used lot and I new I had to do a test drive. So the next day me and the wife (I had to take her so the salesman would have to wait) take it for a spin. This is the first car that I actually walked away from thinking it could replace yelojkt. Randall I love the way your car looks, it has a simple elegance to it. And knowing how you love it makes it even better. Congratulations on your years of ownership of a sweet boxster.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.

Last edited by yelojkt; 11-04-2010 at 06:46 AM.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:03 AM   #5

I'll add to that! This past weekend I autocrossed the Boxster for the first time in nearly two years and I really had forgotten how much fun this car can be!

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:11 AM   #6

I never get to drive mine enough, as I'll only take it on nice days, when I can get the car good and warmed up (at least a half hour + drive). Now it's November in northern Illinois and I haven't driven for weeks; the car will go into winter hibernation before month's end.

Lot's of upgrade plans before next spring, since the car is now going to be nine years old with 19k miles on the clock...new water pump, for sure, and possibly the LN IMS upgrade.

I envy those who can enjoy their cars year around...
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:39 AM   #7
JTP

Cool pic! Is that a Polaroid photo?
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:49 AM   #8

I just changed the oil and did the storage routine on mine yesterday while I had a decent day, they are calling for a snow mix tomorrow. Randall is without a doubt right, these are great little cars and if bought right provide phenomenal value / smiles for what they cost. Too bad this past summer here in the Midwest has been Hades on earth, I didn't get to drive it as much as I would of liked. The wifey still can't understand my occasional winter weekend night in the garage with an adult beverage, cigar and cover off of the car.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:51 AM   #9

JTP, Just an effect, not a true Polaroid.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #10

Indeed, nice thread. One of the things that (at least for me) can be easy to forget is how enjoyable the current toy is. As much as I link to think about a newer/better/faster model, hopefully before committing to a new expense I will realize that I haven't even taken my current car to its limits, or even fully explored the mechanical aspects of it.

That's one of the reasons that I am keeping it stock and changing one thing at a time in the future, so I can "savor" it, like a good wine :-)

best
mcfly
mcfly777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #11
JTP

Randall,
Did you have a difficult time finding those leather door panels? Where did you source them? I'd like to get more leather for my interior as well.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller
I just changed the oil and did the storage routine on mine yesterday while I had a decent day, they are calling for a snow mix tomorrow. Randall is without a doubt right, these are great little cars and if bought right provide phenomenal value / smiles for what they cost. Too bad this past summer here in the Midwest has been Hades on earth, I didn't get to drive it as much as I would of liked. The wifey still can't understand my occasional winter weekend night in the garage with an adult beverage, cigar and cover off of the car.
good grief man its a car ....dont sleep with it
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #13

Caught

wifey caught me this morning wiping off the boxie as we had heavy dew...of course this was at 5 30 this morning,hahaha!. She calls my boxie her arch enemy!!the p-car gets more attention she says...nah...not me!!! But I do love the boxie and hope it lasts as long as my marriage...just turned 35 and been married for 17 years...unless I get the 911...then i'm in the doghouse for sure!!hahaha! She just doesnt get it,lol!!!

disclaimer: no, I dont love the car more than my wife,lol!!( in case she sees my post!!) j/k! I love you honey!!!

pss extanker...remember that snl (i think) skit about the car that guys were "making love" to? that was classic!!! something about being "behind" the car!!hahaha!

Last edited by J'sboxie; 11-05-2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: added more info
J'sboxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #14

Found it!!

Mercury Mistress!!!how funny!!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:32 AM   #15

the first thread on the first po forum [not this one] i joined started out with a topic : "a smear of tree fluid" next one "as i was on my way to my favorite expresso shop"....i didnt write these threads but my first thought was ...what the hell kinda car did i buy ?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #16

^ The Poresche clubs are what I've always described as the 'older wine and cheese crowd". When I would go to the Porsche Club Autocross events in NY and NJ the pace was always so laid back (including the lap times ! ).
Then I would go to the SCCA events and those were the scrappiest looking bunch of gear heads I've ever seen. No nice polo shirts and jeans that looked to be ironed, more like facial hair, clothes with oil stains and the time sheets were nigh and day. One group was separated by less than half a second down to 8th place.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #17

Hey Randall... 109K... is that miles driven or dollars spent??

Seriously though dude, I know you've spent a small fortune on your car, but it is one of the most elegant looking boxsters I have seen. Just the right number of changes in all the right places. Nice job!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #18

other p-car owners

@ PERFECT LAP>>>i hear ya!!!!!

I have run across a few porsche owners here on the island, and for the most part, they do not talk to boxster owners. Hell, even a few box owners refuse to talk to someone my age about the cars. Any time I try to "throw up a hand" when passing another p-car owner here, I usually get ignored.

Now while I bought my boxie for me and only me, It is sad that out of all of the porsche owners here, the only ones I can discuss these beautiful machines with is this and only this forum!!

so to all of the haters....I love my boxie!!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'sboxie
@ PERFECT LAP>>>i hear ya!!!!!

I have run across a few porsche owners here on the island, and for the most part, they do not talk to boxster owners. Hell, even a few box owners refuse to talk to someone my age about the cars. Any time I try to "throw up a hand" when passing another p-car owner here, I usually get ignored.

Now while I bought my boxie for me and only me, It is sad that out of all of the porsche owners here, the only ones I can discuss these beautiful machines with is this and only this forum!!

so to all of the haters....I love my boxie!!
i have yet to have one po driver wave back
Old 11-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #20

Hell, I even wave at Cayenne owners. (They don't wave back either)