Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #1

Cloudy headlight

Someone backed into my wife's '02 Boxster, damaged the left fender and headlight assembly. Their insurance paid for repairs and headlight replacement, but now the new lens is so much clearer than the somewhat clouded right assembly. Their insurance of course says it's not their problem. How can this best be remedied? Also, we're told that with such damage history possibly affecting resale value, we could seek compensation from the insurance company for value depreciation. Anyone knows if this is so? Don't want to be mean to the other driver but want what's fair.

Thanks for any answers.

bandy1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #2

My LH light is a touch cloudy compared to the RH. I didn't notice until I had the car for 3 months.
I did see (on PBS Motorweek) a product from Permetex that is supposed to help clean up the plastic on headlights. No idea about price or availability. Probably an Autozone / Oreilly / NAPA product...maybe even Wally World.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandy1r
...Also, we're told that with such damage history possibly affecting resale value, we could seek compensation from the insurance company for value depreciation. Anyone knows if this is so? Don't want to be mean to the other driver but want what's fair.

Thanks for any answers.

Not all states permit diminished value claims, check to see if yours does. If so, work the system, their ins. co. will probably have a value, but you can look on your own and the best place to start is by getting the highest value for your car before the accident damage because everything works off of that. Ebay will often be the lowest prices while the ad section in Panorama is one of the highest. Noting how much the accident has diminished it's value is pretty much a crapshoot, that is, it'll be whatever the ins. co. agrees to before threatening you to sue them (which you wouldn't do financially).

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #4

I bought some plastic polish at Walmart for $5 bucks and it worked great. I don't remember the brand name but there are a lot of such products on the market and they seem to work well.

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #5

I tried several brands of headlight restorer

Blue Magic - complete junk, did nothing except remove some bug guts
Plastix - just tried a sample tube, but it seemed to work. Not back to new but noticeably better.
Next time will try 3M or Maguires they both have complete kits and a buffer that will attache tio your drill.

Based on the Plastix - I would give it a shot. You will see some improvement, easy to do and a lot cheaper than new headlights. And no harm done if you later want to upgrade and just want to sell your old headlights.

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote