Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 04:16 AM   #1

Exclamation Can't shift into reverse/5th

I have a new problem with my boxster 97. On the way to the supermarket I found that I could not shift into 5th gear. Then when I left I could not get into reverse and had to push the car along with a volunteer backwards into the parking lot.

What should I be looking for and is this something best left to a dealer or porsche mechanic?

In the meantime I'll be looking at the Bentley service manual.

ChefCarnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
pk2

I'm going guess, (invariable wrong)it's that it your is shift lickage out of adjustment or a bushing in it is gone. Any decent German car repair shop should be able to get to the bottom of it.

Better best, an independent Porsche shop. Give them a call, I bet It's neot unusual. About half the price of the dealer to.

Regards, PK
Old 08-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #3

Your shift cables go from the shifter to the back of the tranny.

Jack up the car (safely, of course) and get under there with a flashlight and look up near the back. The cables terminate there and go into plastic tabs that affix the cable wire to the transmission.

Both are broken on my car and held in place with zip ties. I'm betting one of your plastic tabs is broken off too.

As mentioned above, it could be something in your shifter mechanism. Pop up your leather boot and wiggle it around and have a look at it. This can be ruled out rather quickly and easily.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote