986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Just Hit 100,000 Miles (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/21735-just-hit-100-000-miles.html)

derb 08-15-2009 09:33 AM

Just Hit 100,000 Miles

Yesterday afternoon my '99 Boxster rolled past the 100,000 mile mark. Next month it will be 4 years since I bought it and I've put 42k miles on it. It certainly hasn't been a cheap car to own but I have no regrets.
It still has the original engine and transmission. I had the IMS and RMS changed when the transmission was out last month so I hope I don't have to worry about those two problems for awhile. I've also replaced almost all of the parts that are known to be prone to failure. Once you get to know these cars they are surprisingly easy to work on.

I only thing I can't stand about the car is that stupid speedometer 'safety factor'.

I also want to thank all the people on this forum who have helped me with repairs these past few years.

Regards,
mike

23109VC 08-15-2009 10:23 AM

congrats! you say you had the transmission "out" and you have the original tranny.... why was it out? servicing it or did it have a problem that was addressed/rebuilt?

how do they change the IMS? is that something that can be removed/fixed as preventative maintenance? all this talka bout IMS failures...if the part slowly degrades, then fails and causes motor failure - then I guess it makes sense to replace it if/when you have the car in for service and the car is somewhat apart....

enjoy the car! i have a 2000...bought mine with 74k and Io've only got 77k now! :) 3k miles in 9 months of ownership!!! maybe i'll hit 100k in about 7 or 8 years... ;)

Lil bastard 08-15-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derb
...I only thing I can't stand about the car is the inaccurate speedometer.

I also want to thank all the people on this forum who have helped me with repairs these past few years.

Regards,
mike

Congratulations - many more miles to you!

The speedometer is not innaccurate, it purposely reads 3-5 mph higher than actual - Porsche calls it a 'Safety Factor'.

:cheers:

TimAustinW 08-17-2009 08:09 AM

I'll be joining you soon. I got my 2002 with 64K miles on it. I'm now at 93K. No major issues mechanically. The most expensive thing I've had to replace is the soft top and that's just because my plastic was cracked and I wanted a retro glass top. Within the first few months of ownership the local shop said I would need a new clutch and flywheel within six months at that time. 30K miles later my clutch is still going and my Boxster is running strong. :cheers:

Bladecutter 08-17-2009 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derb
Yesterday afternoon my '99 Boxster rolled past the 100,000 mile mark. Next month it will be 4 years since I bought it and I've put 42k miles on it. It certainly hasn't been a cheap car to own but I have no regrets.
It still has the original engine and transmission. I had the IMS and RMS changed when the transmission was out last month so I hope I don't have to worry about those two problems for awhile. I've also replaced almost all of the parts that are known to be prone to failure. Once you get to know these cars they are surprisingly easy to work on.

I only thing I can't stand about the car is that stupid speedometer 'safety factor'.

Regards,
mike

Congrats,

I picked my '98 up in February with ~78k miles on it, and it now has 87k on it in 6 months. Just a couple minor things needed to be replaced immediately, and it has been to the track twice now for a good workout.

Enjoy putting on the next 100k miles on your car.

BC.

70Sixter 08-17-2009 11:49 AM

Derb and all you guys getting up in miles - hope they continue to satisfy with minimal heartache and maximum heart racing. :cheers:

fatmike 08-17-2009 02:40 PM

This is good to hear. Nice to know its possible.

I don't have a realistic scenario where I'll have my car for 100K miles. I bought it two years ago at 11K miles. I've got something like 35K on it now. That's 12,000 miles per year. To get to 100K miles, I'd need to keep it in service as a daily driver for the next 6 years. At that time, the car will be 13 years old. That seems optimistic.

I would be very happy to keep the car in service as my daily driver for another 3 years to trade-up to a newer ride. By that time, the car will have around 70K miles on it and it will be over 10 years old.

If I can sell it for $10K then, the total depreciation over my 5 years of ownership will be around $3K per year. That is good enough for me -- in fact -- thats comparable to owning a honda accord.

Can my Boxster keep it together for another 3 years...? Again, its nice to know its possible, but that would be a layup for the Honda!

RandallNeighbour 08-17-2009 07:12 PM

Ah, I remember that day. I was on the way to the dragon a couple of years back to meet up with everyone!

http://www.iwantaporsche.net/TOD/thu...l-PICT0245.JPG

Lil bastard 08-17-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Ah, I remember that day. I was on the way to the dragon a couple of years back to meet up with everyone!

http://www.iwantaporsche.net/TOD/thu...l-PICT0245.JPG

Yea Randall... except for the odo, exactly which other part has 100k mi. on it...??? I can't think of too many... :D

timothy 08-17-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Yea Randall... except for the odo, exactly which other part has 100k mi. on it...??? I can't think of too many...

I'm pretty sure Randall's driver side mirror is original. ;)

Flavor 987S 08-18-2009 05:11 AM

Mike, congrats! And I know your Boxster is more than just a car. It's a rolling memorial. That's what really matters.

RandallNeighbour 08-18-2009 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timothy
I'm pretty sure Randall's driver side mirror is original. ;)

Now you guys are being mean!

My passenger radiator, the interior carpet, the dashboard, and the rear bumper are all original, although the rear bumper is about to be replaced. :D

derb 08-18-2009 04:39 PM

The fun never ends... Today, at 100,230, I'm hearing a slight clunking noise from the front suspension. Could be those bad DoucheParts drop links I have. Guess I'll install the ones with the pre-cracked boots that they sent me to replace what I bought from them. I'll just turn up the radio for now.

I swear the car knows it has been a month since I had to spend any money on it.
But I still love the car.

TimAustinW 08-19-2009 04:55 AM

I'm probably going to jinx myself by saying this but....in my life these are the cars I've owned;

82 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
90 Isuzu Stylus
92 Honda Civic
95 Honda Civic
02 VW Beetle
64 Karmann Ghia T34
04 Toyota MR2 Spyder
06 Saturn Vue
02 Porsche Boxster 2.7
06 BMW X3

Out of ALL of those cars my Boxster has been the most reliable car with the least amount of major mechanical repairs. It's my daily driver and I've put more miles on it than any other car. 90% of the cash I've dumped into it has been for mods and upgrades. So I consider myself lucky. I've been good to my Boxster and it's been good to me.

I LOVE this f'n car!!!!!! It's as much fun to drive now (if not more) as it was the first day I bought it. I'm going to keep it as long as it will have me and when the engine dies hopefully after another 100-200K miles I'm swapping it for a 3.6. :cheers:

Is it possible to do a conversion to a 996 3.6 Turbo? :D :D :D :dance:

RandallNeighbour 08-19-2009 07:36 AM

Lil Bastard:

Oh crap. I just re-read my reply to you above and I was not correct.

I've replaced my instrument cluster too!

(Of course, I had the dealer program it with the correct and accurate mileage because that's how I roll).

But even the 100,000 mile display is new :rolleyes:

BTW, if anyone wants to read the sad, sad story of everything I've replaced on my car because it broke or it was ugly and needed updating, you may do so here:

http://www.iwantaporsche.net/repairs_mods.htm

Lil bastard 08-19-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Now you guys are being mean!... :D

Hey Randall,

It's all in good fun! :)

Seriously, I have great admiration for your devotion, dedication and perseverance towards your Boxster.

I doubt there are many here, including me, who could've stuck with it like you have!

RandallNeighbour 08-19-2009 12:56 PM

LB, I know you're just having fun... I'm not offended in the least bit. I have replaced a LOT of parts on my car.

Frankly I wonder why the forum members haven't paid for a counseling session with a shrink for me so I would come to my senses and sell the stupid thing before it eats up all my retirement.

BTW, I've been GIVEN a free body kit for the car, and it's on its way to my buddy who owns a body shop for prepping and painting.

Then the bumpers and skirts will be swapped out too.

Throw a couple of carbon fiber trunk lids in there and we'll be down to just the fuel tank. I am positive it is ALL ORIGINAL. :D