986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Need a carfax report (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/21730-need-carfax-report.html)

timothy 08-14-2009 02:41 PM

Need a carfax report

My girlfriend needs a reliable cheap car and we found a Toyota Corolla that looks interesting. Does anyone have carfax credits and could run the VIN? Please PM me. Thanks.

sumitghaiin 08-16-2009 03:41 AM

carfax

Can anyone help for carfax ? Thanks

CRCGuy 08-16-2009 09:22 AM

uh.....that not sound legitimate. Me not sure why. Maybe see if he pay for service like rest of us. It is company. Company need make money to stay in business. If everybody fink like this, economy go poo poo.

ChefCarnivore 08-16-2009 09:51 AM

he wants 3 buck

He wants pay on Paypal $3. Sounds sushi for me.

mptoledo 08-16-2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChefCarnivore
He wants pay on Paypal $3. Sounds sushi for me.

It's his 1st post is on here and he's selling carfax reports in broken english?

Buyer be ware!!

I had purchased 10 of them and gave the remaining 9 away to porsche owners. Sounds like he is probably hitting all the boards to cash in!!

CRCGuy 08-19-2009 09:06 AM

I have to say that as a current (temporary) resident of Switzerland, I really look at the US and capitalism in a different light. The dollar truly is king---making money--and I do mean CREATING money or wealth without creating value is so amazingly prevalent. It's accepted and OK. whatever you have to do to get rich.

Unfortunately, it's actually what got us into this economic mess. Hopefully we've learned some good lessons. No society is perfect. But it would do our country good if every kid was forced to spend a few weeks in a European country like Switzerland during school---to see how other societies/cultures function, their values, their norms. It has certainly opened my eyes.

Samson 08-19-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timothy
My girlfriend needs a reliable cheap car and we found a Toyota Corolla that looks interesting. Does anyone have carfax credits and could run the VIN? Please PM me. Thanks.

Just an FYI - CarFax is more or less worthless. A car can be totaled and come up clean on their system. Money is better spent on a good PPI.

But if you're really hung up on getting a CarFax, make the seller buy.

CRCGuy 08-19-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samson
Just an FYI - CarFax is more or less worthless. A car can be totaled and come up clean on their system. .

this is absolutely correct!!!

I had a 91 acura integra in highschool that I managed to get stuck in some high water. motor injested water we think, all the interior got soaked. I didn't have insurance at the time so I had the few components replaced to make the car drivable (ECU, starter etc..) and paid for it myself. this would never had appeared in a CarFax since there was no accident report and no insurance claim.

Brucelee 08-20-2009 06:36 AM

I would argue that CF is not worthless. Normally, it will tell you where the car has lived and how many owners. Sometimes it will tell you of a salvage title and.or major wreck, lemon law etc. Sometimes the mileage data is useful.

CF is simply NOT the be all and end all. You still have to have someone go through the car who knows what to look for.

Some do, some don't.

:D

mptoledo 08-20-2009 07:04 AM

+1 I agree with Bruce.

CF is actually a deterent also. If it didn't exist, people could and would get away with murder. Albeit there are still cars that fall throught the cracks, ie. if you take it to a local mechanic and he doesn't report it or its under a certain $$. Overall it forces people to disclose certain things about cars when they sell them. I can take a salvaged car to KY from ohio, apply for a lost title, and end up with a new title without salvage on it. Carfax would still report a salvaged title. There is more to it, but that is the gist. If it wasn't for CF you could even turn back mileage and re-title it.

While it isn't perfect by any means, it is still a useful tool when shopping. You still need a ppi or other inspection, but the ppi's can be worthless also. I have read on here how a pp inspector in florida missed half a dozen things. The 1st time boxster owner is now very disgusted and has regrets for buying a porsche.

CRCGuy 08-20-2009 07:49 AM

OK Bruce. you make good points.

So the conclusion is: CF does give lots of useful information when making a used car purchase. It does not guarantee everything negative has been captured. it is probably a very good value considering the cost of the vehicle and minimal cost of the report.