Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #1

Durametric- Major software update

Durametric has released a major update (6.0) for their software. Depending on when you purchased your cable it may, or may not, be compatible. If your cable is not compatible you can still use the latest update of the 5.0 version for as long as you want.
I have a grandfathered in first generation 'Professional' version that I now have to spend $150 to upgrade to the 6.0 compatible cable if there are enough features to justify the expense. Looks like a lot of the changes are for the 9x7 models. The good news is that if I upgrade I will be upgraded to the 6.0 second generation Professional version.

From their website...

Since this is the first release of a major, long-term project, there will be many revisions and bug fixes over the next few weeks.

This release is only compatible with our second generation diagnostic interface cables. If you have purchased your kit after February 2008, then it is a second generation kit.

* The cable with a box in the middle of the wire are first generation cables and not compatible.
* Cables with the electronics in the connector can be either first or second generation.
o If the cable has the light on the side that reads "Durametric," then it is a second generation interface cable.
o If the light is on the side that says "Enthusiast" or "Professional," then it is a first generation interface cable and not compatible.
* Customers with first generation interfaces can upgrade to the second generation interface for $150 USD.
* For more information about why we are not supporting the first generation interfaces and details about upgrades please see our
Upgrade FAQ...

http://www.durametric.com/reasonupgrade.aspx

Regards,
mike

derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:14 AM   #2

So I have the enthusiast version 1 cable with Version 5.1.4 of their software. I am a great fan of their software, it was invaluable when trouble shooting 100-cell cats I am running and the resulting system error codes I was getting. My quesiton is, what will the version 6 of the software do for my 2000 base boxster that the version 5.1.4 does not do, is it worth the 150.00 for the new cable?

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:44 AM   #3

From my reading of their web site

the 6.0 update doesn't support the 986 at this time, that support will be added back in later.

And no big enhancements will affect the 986...they seem mostly for the 987/997 world. You would be able to program DRL and seatbely lights can be turned off if you have installed racing seats...minor things like that. See the version history page...

http://www.durametric.com/versionhistory.aspx
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #4

I purchased mine the day before New Years so guess I'm shut out unless I want to pony up another $150.

Didn't even get one revision, improvement, or new feature... Wish I would have know or been given a discount for buying a piece of hardware they were retiring.
funkdefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #5

I bought my cable a month ago and have a 987, so I'm digging the new software. The functionality is far increased. I can run more tests and the error codes are more real/understandable/not in German.

2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote