986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   911 carrera 2 (2000) vs boxster S (2003) (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/21573-911-carrera-2-2000-vs-boxster-s-2003-a.html)

goodman 08-02-2009 11:53 AM

911 carrera 2 (2000) vs boxster S (2003)

Anyone could give me advise? Which one should I go for? Same mileage and price for 911 is about $2500.00 more.
Thanks!

lardog 08-02-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodman
Anyone could give me advise? Which one should I go for? Same mileage and price for 911 is about $2500.00 more.
Thanks!

Go for the 2000 996

mikefocke 08-02-2009 12:05 PM

You should buy

The one you want. Which one turns YOU on? Which one has the room you need (911's back seat versus Boxster's rear trunk). 911's ability to recline the seat back more due to the 911's lack of firewall. The 911's ability to eat rear tires even faster than a Boxster. Each a great road car with definite handling characteristics that are different from your normal front engined RWD car..

But what it comes down to is which one matches your concept of what a car could be. Both great cars. Go drive em and let your heart decide.

(Mike 01S 56k miles)

E Kaplan 08-02-2009 12:05 PM

First drive both cars and see which you like better. Is the 911 a cabriolet? If not, you may miss out on the benefits of a convertible. Also, the 911 did not start having a glass rear window until 2002. The 911 is a little faster. The Boxster has better handling.
If you will need a back seat for small kids, the 911 would come in handy.
Overall, there are benefits to both cars. You must decide which you like better and which fits your lifestyle better.

goodman 08-02-2009 12:14 PM

Thank you all for the good advise. This will be my first Porsche....
Don't know about reliability issue and how easy for DIY work? 911(996) looks better for engine access.
I've a Benz E420 and used to the high maintenance cost :)

mptoledo 08-02-2009 12:44 PM

actually, I was suprised at how easily you can work on a boxster(so far). Just look at the DIY threads.

As for which one, 2 months ago I would have said 911 hands down. I was desperately searching for a 911 but the prices were pretty high. I stumbled across a 2001 "s" for a "song" and couldn't say no. So now after driving a boxster for two monthsand if I were in your place, I would probably chose the boxster again. It also depends on the status symbol variable. In my area a porsche is a porsche, meaning a 911 holds no more status symbol than a boxster. actually it doesn't matter to me, as I am over that part of my life.

Unfortunately you may not have the chance to drive both and compare. I think what ever you get you will love. I am a convertible man all the way, so for me it isn't even close!! :cheers:

Boxster Pros:
1.) Handling: I love the way the boxster handles. It has a 50/50 weight distribution. Meaning, it goes where it should/you want it to. rear end doesn't become the front end all of a sudden. :eek:
2.) Fun factor: I have had 4 convertibles(this is my 5th), hands down nothing like a ragtop!!!
3.) Support: Of course I am biased on this, but I have seen more help in the box over the 911 forum.
4.) Service: I don't know about the 911 but everything I have done on the box has been pretty easy. Belts, plugs, oil, replaced rear bumber, replaced radio. It has been "DIY" stuff and easliy accomplished.
5.) all season driving: depending on your area(ohio for me), and tire selection, you can easily drive a boxster year round. Wouldn't recommend heavy to moderate snow.

Cons:
1.) Speed: Not as fast as a 911, but not by much.
2.) Room: 911 gives you a back seat,but you lose the trunk. I have no family so I am indifferent
3.) Mystique: For some 911 is the winner hands down.'
4.) Resale: Boxster's don't hold there value, but if your buying a used one, you are the one benefitting.
5.) "IMS" Yes I said it. :cool: There are a few things you can do to fix/ alleviate it, but that is another subject for another day. http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

goodman 08-02-2009 01:01 PM

mptoledo has very good points and I'm in a similar situation like him.
Status symbol is not an issue, only the fun is what it counts.
No kids, so back seat not needed.
If DIY is good on the boxster then the choice seems obvious.... :cheers:

goodman 08-02-2009 01:49 PM

Is it a good choice?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-Porsche-Boxster-S-low-milage-triple-black_W0QQitemZ230362696070QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_C ars_Trucks?hash=item35a2afc986&_trksid=p4506.c0.m2 45

mptoledo 08-02-2009 02:02 PM

Yes, if status symbol(although boxster is), and family aren't concerns, and you love convertibles, then the choice is obvious. Escpecially if its an '03 with glass rear window(gawd I wish). If I were going to get a 911, I would have to get the "4" cause Of our weather in ohio.

mptoledo 08-02-2009 02:11 PM

Goodman, that seems like way too much money. I got my 2001 "s" 58k miles for $12750. I bid low on his auction and it didn't meet his reserve, he emailed me back with a second chance offer(through ebay). I couldn't believe it. The car was damn near perfect.

Your best bet is to look over the completed auctions and see what they have sold for(green color=sold). Then find a car you like, that didn't sell, email the owner and tell him your aserious cash buyer. Ask him "what is your best price" He should be sort of discouraged by now cause his car didn't sell. If the price is acceptable then agree to the terms. I would still low ball him a little or a lot depending on what he came back with.

give me a few minutes and I will see if there are any prospects.

what is your favorite color? and do you want an "s" miles aren't that important unless your going to resell it and as long as its under 60k ish.

mptoledo 08-02-2009 02:31 PM

You will have to sign into ebay to view most of these!!
Oh, try looking for private individuals. The could be more desperate.

Black looks awesome when cleaned up, but awfully hard to keep clean. Silver is the easiest color to keep clean.

This guy stole this Boxster(although its high milage and a base)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-PORSCHE-BOXTER-5-SPD-CA-CAR-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ200365893439QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS _Cars_Trucks?hash=item2ea6bce73f&_trksid=p4506.c0. m245

Here's a good possibility, 2003 blk "s" 35k miles. didn't sell at buy it now of 21k, i would offer him $17k cash and see what he says.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-S-nonsmoker-low-miles-mint_W0QQitemZ260452086524QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Ca rs_Trucks?hash=item3ca42772fc&_trksid=p4506.c0.m24 5

This is a dealers box that didn't meet reserve. I'd email him and ask what reserve was and then what the best price is. I'd pay 13 maybe $13.5 max
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-S-TIPTRONIC_W0QQitemZ230359405432QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ US_Cars_Trucks?hash=item35a27d9378&_trksid=p4506.c 0.m245

i would work this one. It looks real nice, email and see what lowest price is.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Porsche-Boxster-Roadster-S-Convertible-34-541miles_W0QQitemZ270428133837QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU S_Cars_Trucks?hash=item3ef6c5d9cd&_trksid=p4506.c0 .m245

Remeber new tires=$800-$1300, Stock radio and speakers SUCKS!!. Glass window is priceless(03-on up for glass). 60k service=$1600

Disclaimer: I was in the car biz for 10 years, half as a new car manager.

Good luck and have patience, as time is on your side. Michigan, and California seem to be the most desperate sellers. remember in hard times toys are the first thing sold. Just make sure they have clear title and no liens.

goodman 08-02-2009 02:45 PM

mptoledo, I really appreciate so much help from you and happy to know there are so many wonderful people on this forum. :cheers:
The second one on the list is what I'm waiting for. the seller said that he will not go for less than 20K. I'm from Montreal Quebec, so distance is a concern, since I would like to drive the baby home :p
BTW, for the same car I've to pay 25% more in Montreal. :(

Lil bastard 08-02-2009 02:57 PM

If importing a US model car into Canada, you need to research the requirements to have it properly registered.

Daytime running lights, Instruments in Metric (incl. the analogue speedo) are just a couple of issues.

Make sure you can resolve these before buying any car or you may have to leave it standing at the border crossing.

:cheers:

goodman 08-02-2009 03:13 PM

yes, paper works is inevitable. About the speedometer, I believe the analog is in mile per hour is okay since the digital could set to metric. :) The only change needed is the day time driving light which will cost around $10.00 for a quick fix. ;)
(nice people posted in this forum too) :D

mptoledo 08-02-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

The only change needed is the day time driving light which will cost around $10.00 for a quick fix. ;)

You could always duct tape two glow sticks underneath and call them running lights!! :D Just kidding,

Hey read this thread, it might give you an idea about how to get your car home.
http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21150

If that doesn't sound appealing it will cost you around $1200 - 1500 to ship it. You can always try uship.com. Its the ebay of shipping, people can bid on your job. You have to watch and read reviews as some of these carriers are idiots and some take 30 days to get you the car. They try to book enough shippings to make it worth your while. I would highly recommend doing what the idiot in the above thread did. Sounds like he had a blast!! :cheers:

goodman 08-02-2009 05:30 PM

It was a great story and experience. Not everyone could have a chance to do this fun thing. I'm wondering what happen if you get the car from eBay and travel down so far away and find out that it is not quite the same as advertised :mad: I hope I can get my money back.
Well I guess a round trip ticket is a good thing to do :) and come home empty-handed. :(

Fred Demara 08-02-2009 06:00 PM

had em both.

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than lapping a 911 at the track. Not one, not one single 911 has ever passed my boxster. It's better balanced, and lighter. And when I owned my 911, I couldn't pass the Boxsters at the track.

Day to day driving - the 911 was more liveable, but fun driving, track driving, the boxster wins.

mptoledo 08-02-2009 06:11 PM

Quote:

It was a great story and experience. Not everyone could have a chance to do this fun thing. I'm wondering what happen if you get the car from eBay and travel down so far away and find out that it is not quite the same as advertised :mad: I hope I can get my money back.
Well I guess a round trip ticket is a good thing to do :) and come home empty-handed. :(

The car definately looks 100% A ok. If you went through ebay, you can contest and get your money back(read their rules). Since it has a car fax, it appears to be legit. The ebay seller has only been around this year and only has 10 ratings. The price is a little high(for my cheap azz), but the mileage and condition make up for it. If that is everything you want and as you said it would be a lot more up north, then pull the trigger. If it isn't "everything" you wanted, then wait. I know easier said than done, but with winter approaching, time is your friend. I bought mine at the end of june and I don't know if it was the economy, the season or what, but there were a lot of them on ebay pretty cheap.

Just make a list, of why i should buy and why I shouldn't buy. It will amaze you!! And enjoy your porsche :cheers:

tonycarreon 08-03-2009 05:06 AM

Quote:

get a PPI. if the seller isn't willing then move on.

as far as the "distance" goes, my next purchase will definitely be something i have to fly out to get. :D

Lil bastard 08-03-2009 05:50 AM

Quote:

yes, paper works is inevitable. About the speedometer, I believe the analog is in mile per hour is okay since the digital could set to metric. :) The only change needed is the day time driving light which will cost around $10.00 for a quick fix. ;)

We had another poster a while back who could not get the car to pass with the MPH analogue speedo - in Quebec Province! They would not accept the car with any gauge being non-metric - analogue or digital. He had a heck of a time finding the proper gauge faces, in fact, I believe he had to swap the cluster in favor of a euro one.

Also, if you look into Daytime Running Lights, I think you're gonna find it a tad more expensive than $10 - the popular hack circulating the net doesn't work.

:cheers: