Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #1

Problem Solved.

I am 99.9% sure I put the oil gasket on the oil filter canister. But When I got done, I noticed two gaskets laying on the ground . It was a ******************** to get off, but when I put it on I heard it kind of squeak(like rubber on plastic). If I have to I will drain the oil out and check.

How screwed am I if I didn't put one in?
What is the worst that could happen?

Any expert opinions would be appreciated.

Also, I put 9 1/2 quarts in and it still says I am 2 or 3 bars from full on my Boxes cpu. What is that all about?

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 07-29-2009 at 03:00 PM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptoledo
I am 99.9% sure I put the oil gasket on the oil filter canister. But When I got done, I noticed two gaskets laying on the ground . It was a ******************** to get off, but when I put it on I heard it kind of squeak(like rubber on plastic). If I have to I will drain the oil out and check.

How screwed am I if I didn't put one in?
What is the worst that could happen?

Any expert opinions would be appreciated.

Also, I put 9 1/2 quarts in and it still says I am 2 or 3 bars from full on my Boxes cpu. What is that all about?
You will have an oil leak................ Why not pull the housing back off and look to see if there is a gasket, and even if there is, replace it. You will lose very little, if any oil in the process and can top off your oil level, which is apparently low either due to the leak or because you underfilled it...............
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
You will have an oil leak................ Why not pull the housing back off and look to see if there is a gasket, and even if there is, replace it. You will lose very little, if any oil in the process and can top off your oil level, which is apparently low either due to the leak or because you underfilled it...............

thanks for the reply, I just did the oil change and have only started it twice for about 30 seconds each. zero oil leaks as of now. If I did put a gasket on, it was the new one that came with the filter.

If I unscrew the plastic filter cover won't oil come shooting out? at $5.5 a quart I would rather not waste it.

After thought, could I put the gasket on from the bottom and roll it up to the top and unscrew the housing just a little? The gasket is rubber and stretches. Anythoughts on this?

Old 07-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #4

Just unscrew the cannister a little bit without removing it completely and try to look/feel for the O-ring gasket. You'll get a little oil seepage so have some paper towels handy. If it's there then you're good, if not then take it all the way off and install one. Oil won't spew out...you'll only lose about 1/4 of a quart.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #5

You will lose very little oil when pulling off the filter canister. Just put something for it to drain into under the filter and you will be fine. I also would not try stretching the o-ring over the housing, plus if you loosened it, and there was already an o-ring there, you should not reuse it...........
Old 07-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #6

thanks to both of you , I solved the problem. I first tried to slide the o ring over the canister and got it up with only a couple drops. Then i started it and had a small puddle. I then said F" it. I pulled the canister off and thought oh ****************!! here it comes. Actually probably was about 1/5 of a quart(thank God). I then inspected it and it didn't have on on. so I slipped the one I tried to put on up farther. It was a pain to get the canister on tight as it was now slippery. I got it as tight as I could and will keep an eye on it.

The oil filter extraction tool I got a walmart didn't even fit.. I borrowed my neighbors craftsman rubber strap thingy. looked like one of those things used to get lids off of jars

Old 07-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #7

Quote:
thanks to both of you , I solved the problem. I first tried to slide the o ring over the canister and got it up with only a couple drops. Then i started it and had a small puddle. I then said F" it. I pulled the canister off and thought oh ****************!! here it comes. Actually probably was about 1/5 of a quart(thank God). I then inspected it and it didn't have on on. so I slipped the one I tried to put on up farther. It was a pain to get the canister on tight as it was now slippery. I got it as tight as I could and will keep an eye on it.

The oil filter extraction tool I got a walmart didn't even fit.. I borrowed my neighbors craftsman rubber strap thingy. looked like one of those things used to get lids off of jars
I'd watch using a rubber strap device, or anything else that grabs the cannister by its sides, they can lead to cracked canisters. Get a proper fitting tool, they are pretty cheap and live forever.........the size is 74MM
Old 07-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #8

Definately a must, I didn't even know they made them. Next years Oil change should be a breeze!! How tight do you tighten the canister? I couldn't get it as tight as i wanted cause of the oil on it from the leak.

Last edited by mptoledo; 07-29-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Definately a must, I didn't even know they made them. Next years Oil change should be a breeze!! How tight do you tighten the canister? I couldn't get it as tight as i wanted cause of the oil on it from the leak.
Proper torque spec for the filter is 19 Ft Lb; drain plug is 37 Ft Lb......................
Old 07-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Proper torque spec for the filter is 19 Ft Lb; drain plug is 37 Ft Lb......................
why do germans hate even numbers so much?
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon

Its not the numbers that piss me off. its the use of over 30 different tools to do one job. I am exaggerating a little, but not much. star hex hear, 4 different sockets there, philips there and some tool I will never use again. Good frickin God, no wonder it cost $200 for an oil change, the mechanic has to pay for his tools. 1 type of screw and a couple of different sockets would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 07-30-2009, 03:32 AM   #12

Type B oil filter wrench from AutoZone... cost me $7 (I think). I took the canister into AZ with me to size it. I'm surprised you put in 9 1/2 quarts? With my 2.5L I was full at 9Q. Actually thought it was a little high, so next time I'll stop at 8 3/4.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon
That's an easy one: the OEM specs are in Newton Meters (Nm), a metric unit of torque where 1 newton metre = 0.7375621 foot-pound .............
Old 07-30-2009, 06:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Its not the numbers that piss me off. its the use of over 30 different tools to do one job. I am exaggerating a little, but not much. star hex hear, 4 different sockets there, philips there and some tool I will never use again. Good frickin God, no wonder it cost $200 for an oil change, the mechanic has to pay for his tools. 1 type of screw and a couple of different sockets would be greatly appreciated!!
True, tools do cost $, but if maintained will last you a life time, plus your tools will always be there at 2AM when your "friends" won't answer the phone......
Old 07-30-2009, 06:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
Type B oil filter wrench from AutoZone... cost me $7 (I think). I took the canister into AZ with me to size it. I'm surprised you put in 9 1/2 quarts? With my 2.5L I was full at 9Q. Actually thought it was a little high, so next time I'll stop at 8 3/4.
Thanks for the autozone price alert. I have 3.2, Idon't know if that makes a difference on the amount of oil. I also let it drip for an hour. I checked both the dipstick and the electric dipstick. only problem is everytime you start your car you have to wait ten minutes.

Last edited by mptoledo; 07-30-2009 at 06:50 AM.