986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Problem with cat sleeping on roof (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/21504-problem-cat-sleeping-roof.html)

Stan_D 07-27-2009 11:51 AM

Problem with cat sleeping on roof

A cat has taken to using the soft-top as a sun lounger, covering the roof in hard-to-remove hairs. If I see any scratches from its way up or way down, I'll be bloody mad.

Anyone have any ideas to deter the pest?

mptoledo 07-27-2009 11:58 AM

get a dog :D

Is it outside? and is it your cat? If its not your cat you could always relocate it after a long country drive.

Stan_D 07-27-2009 12:39 PM

Yeah the car's outside and its not my cat, but "relocation" sounds like an option.

mptoledo 07-27-2009 12:42 PM

I do mean humane relocation, not slow down to 60 and toss hime out the window :D There might be a spray that you can put on the top to repel cats. I had this stuff to keep my puppies from chewing up my stuff. "Bitter ???"

I feel your pain as when i visit my mother her garage cat loves to spread hair on my top. I did find a "non" sticky lint roller workes pretty well.

Brucelee 07-27-2009 12:52 PM

From experience I suggest you simply put a blanket on the top at night. The cat is NOT going to change but he/she expects you to.

That is the joy of owning a cat! :D

Stan_D 07-27-2009 12:53 PM

Mptoledo,
Agree totally - slowing down to 50 should be OK though! ;)

I could use cat repellent spray (sold to gardeners) on the roof - not really a longterm solution or will the cat remember that it doesn't smell good up their and stay away in future...?

I'm more worried about the thing scratching the bodywork.

skates15 07-27-2009 01:01 PM

Have you sprayed the top with an approved sealant to keep the hair from getting tangled with the fabricate?

skates15 07-27-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan_D
Mptoledo,
Agree totally - slowing down to 50 should be OK though! ;)

I could use cat repellent spray (sold to gardeners) on the roof - not really a longterm solution or will the cat remember that it doesn't smell good up their and stay away in future...?

I'm more worried about the thing scratching the bodywork.

The manual says that the fibers on the top are sensitive to chemicals, for example RainX wax sealant, which weakens the fibers and leads to premature wear and tear on the top.

I bring this up as it seems the fabricate is sensitive to certain chemicals.

Stan_D 07-27-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skates15
Have you sprayed the top with an approved sealant to keep the hair from getting tangled with the fabricate?

Actually its due a resealing - so good tip but doesn't get rid of the pest!

sd_boxster 07-27-2009 01:20 PM

Hit it with the garden hose and a stream nozzle a few nights in a row. It sounds inhumane, but that cat needs some negative reinforcement.

Stan_D 07-27-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd_boxster
Hit it with the garden hose and a stream nozzle a few nights in a row. It sounds inhumane, but that cat needs some negative reinforcement.

Thanks but it's happening where I park up for work - not somewhere that can be monitored.

Thinking of getting a piece of carpet, doused with repellent sprays & pepper, carry it in the trunk & throw it on top after my commute. That way I'm keeping dodgy chemicals off the roof.

sd_boxster 07-27-2009 02:15 PM

You might also try one of those metallic emergency blankets - they're crinkly and loud and might be off-putting for a cat, and thin enough that you could just pinch it between the window and the weather stripping to hold it in place...

mptoledo 07-27-2009 02:49 PM

you can take 2 pieces of chicken wire one on top of the other, Seperate them by a couple pieces of 1x1x1" foam. attach one to the the black terminal, attach the other to red terminal. when the cat jumps on the chicken wire and they make contact, well you get the picture.

Now to all you cat lovers, this will not hurt the cat, just scare the hell out of him. ;) It sure beats the heck out of what my daddy would have done :eek:

Mark Dreyer 07-27-2009 03:56 PM

Car cover. Takes only a couple minutes to put on and preserves the paint from sun fading. That's what I did to keep my cats from damaging the top/paint while my Boxster played second fiddle to my daughter's car who got to park her princessmobile (Lexus IS 250) in the garage. Now that she's gone to college, the Boxster gets the garage.

941MXVET 07-27-2009 05:05 PM

I'll second the car-cover, and the "Space-blanket" advice.

I don't need such things as these guys take care of wandering stray cats:

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/p...T/IMG_2177.jpg

E Kaplan 07-27-2009 06:04 PM

I hear your pain brother. My neighbor (nice people) have about 10 outdoor cats. I often have cats sitting on my cars. When I am not using the Boxster on a daily basis I do keep a cover on it. However, in Florida the cover is wet early in the morning when I go to work, so not an option.

I have no words of wisdom about how to kill, I mean get rid of the cat. But, I have found the sticky lint roller (the kind that you peel off layer by layer) to be excellent at removing all traces of hair within a minute.

Good luck killing, I mean getting rid of the cat!

RandallNeighbour 07-27-2009 07:05 PM

I'm going to give you an idea after reading through the whole thread.

Spray cat repellent on a beach towel, put the beach towel on the top, and see if the cat goes up there.

It's certainly worth a try.

Stroked & Blown 07-27-2009 07:24 PM

Try this: http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/usp_elite_general.asp

nola911 07-27-2009 07:32 PM

http://www.kiccc.org.au/louisapics/cat_trap2.jpg

Nuts 986 07-27-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown

haha... this will definitely fix the problem....