Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 05:33 AM   #1

Boxster start up noise

hello I am new here. I live in Columbus Ohio and just bought my first Porsche. I restore antique autos and Hot Rods as a hobby. I just got this 99 Boxster and have noticed that upon start up for a short second a kazoo like noise. It is not everytime I start but only on occasion. I have changed oil , Replaced air and cabin filter, replaced oil seperator and will do thermostat and water pump this weekend.

I think this may be the starter or hopefully NOT somthing around the vario cam.
I would like some experienced voices to help me through this issue for DIY. Thanks in advance.
Dennis

bustingear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:47 AM   #2

Well you need to isolate where the sound is coming from, possibly with an assistant and an auto stethoscope or the ol' screwdriver to the ear trick.

How many miles on the car? Starter sounds like a good bet - gunked up pinion gear shaft or overrun clutch. Could just need cleaning, but depending upon mileage, rebuild/replacement may be the most cost effective fix.

Being intermittent, it doesn't sound like variocam issues to me.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:54 AM   #3

145K on this little boxster. It will be hard to locate but again it sounds tlike a kids toy when a gear is stripped. Sound famalier?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #4

I have same issue! I noticed it a couple weeks ago. Sometimes I can hear it, others I can't. But it lasts for about 1-2 seconds and starts a few seconds after engine start. Is this what you are hearing also with the timeframe I've given?
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #5

Mine does it too only with a cold start up. Was told it's lifter noise and not to worry about it. 2000S.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #6

bluelagoon,
Lifter noise - which I get as well after the car sits for a while and oil drains out of the lifters - doesn't sound like a kazoo or kids wind-up toy.
This seems different.

bustingear,
Do you have a video w/ sound or audio clip of it?
Old 07-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #7

you should take the engine access cover off and have someone start the engine while you look and listen to pinpoint the location.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #8

just a thought, but before I replaced my ignition switch, I heard I whining noise similiar to yours. I think it was the starter of flywheel or something. The sound immediately went away as soon as I turned the key back to the run position. Since I replaced my ignition switch I no longer hear it.

Does your key stick for a second before it goes back to run position?
If your key works great then ignore this post.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #9

If it's starting a few seconds after the engine starts, could it be the secondary air injection pump?

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yimmy149
If it's starting a few seconds after the engine starts, could it be the secondary air injection pump?

-james
This occours as the motor starts only for 1/2 second and stops. It does it on an intermittent basis.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustingear
This occours as the motor starts only for 1/2 second and stops. It does it on an intermittent basis.
I have the same noise intermittently on my 99 also, and read elsewhere on these forums it's a pinion in the starter. It gets gunked up, needs to be removed, cleaned, lubricated, and reinserted for another 80-150k of trouble-free operation.

Cheers

Jon
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktown 986
I have the same noise intermittently on my 99 also, and read elsewhere on these forums it's a pinion in the starter. It gets gunked up, needs to be removed, cleaned, lubricated, and reinserted for another 80-150k of trouble-free operation.

Cheers

Jon
While I would like to beleive that post. (its simple and cost effective) I have also read that it is a worn starter bushing which needs replaced. Starters are about $250. and I would not know where to get the bushing part. Also have been told it coud be the mechanical and the electrical portions of the starter switch hanging up. Have also heard secondary air pump (not sure about that one however)
Old 08-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #13

My 98 does the same thing. Up until now I put it up to the timing chain not being lubed at startups. After the car has run I don't get the noise.
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:57 PM   #14

I you haven't found it by now, it's the starter pinion or drive. You may replace it or lube it to fix it. Mine did the same.
usaswordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:26 PM   #15

This may win an award for revival of the deadest (is that a word?) post ever.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2022, 03:52 AM   #16
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I, too, had (and still have) that noisy rattle on start-up. Pulled the starter twice... sound remained.

I'm going with failing chain tensioners... suggesting that the sound is the loose chains making noise until the oil pressure is up. Yeah... 13 years later.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I, too, had (and still have) that noisy rattle on start-up. Pulled the starter twice... sound remained.

I'm going with failing chain tensioners... suggesting that the sound is the loose chains making noise until the oil pressure is up. Yeah... 13 years later.
Have you changed the pressure relief valve head to the updated part?

Old 04-11-2022, 07:17 AM   #18

I have replaced the pressure relief valve, the timing chain tensioners, the variocam tensioner pads and new chains and the water pump and if anything the startup noise is worse.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 03:33 AM   #19
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Have you changed the pressure relief valve head to the updated part?

If you're talking about that little part... unscrew/bolt the old one... slip in the new one... takes 2 minutes... oil pressure relief valve... yex. Did that about 4 years ago.

What I used to think was starter noise (thus pulling the starter twice... pulling on the little gear... snapped right back in... thus no starter noise... turns out to be those tensioners.

I'll be pulling off the oil pan this year to look for debris. Was zero when I bought the car.

Cheers!