986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   here goes the Cayman... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/2141-here-goes-cayman.html)

Jeannot 02-23-2005 01:28 AM

here goes the Cayman...

http://www2.porsche.com/cayman/pcgb.asp

anybody else angry that they put a better engine in the 'boxster coupe' than in the boxster itself?

QporscheQ 02-23-2005 04:33 AM

dumb name . . . 295Hp

Brucelee 02-23-2005 06:08 AM

Amazingly dumb name. Kind of like naming a SUV after a spice? :rolleyes:

spgribben007 02-23-2005 06:29 AM

Why did Porsche name a car after a set of islands? Dumb.

RandallNeighbour 02-23-2005 06:34 AM

In German, it means "faster than a speeding bullet"

...it's so sad that much is lost in cultural translations.

Jeannot 02-23-2005 06:38 AM

ok, but this is the name...you can debadge it if you want, but the 3.4L engine...hmmh...I really wonder. If I had a 987S on order, I'd cancel it until it is clear what they will do with their product lines.
What do you guys think?

wetstuff 02-23-2005 07:01 AM

I'm surprised at you guys?! They could have suffered the fate of once proud SAAB and be absorbed by the giant slug.. The only way to move forward is to keep firing new product into the market. What is it: there were 75 models in the late '80's and 300 available now? You gotta keep your feet moving...

...and Hell, you can go get 50hp if you think you need it. They're not emasculating me making a heavier car with more power. I would have liked a 911 but my wife didn't go to the right medical school. (same answer when it comes to a big house..)

I'm just tickled pink they didn't make a '97 Box look like a '87 when they did the 987. I think we picked good parents - on this deal anyway.

Jim

Lux 02-23-2005 12:23 PM

Cayman is a terribly stupid name. But the car itself is very exciting. It'll take the Boxster out of the shadows of the 911.

I don't think Porsche can hold out much longer on keeping back the hp for the Boxster. If rumour is reality, the Cayman S will come with a sticker of around $65K :mad: That's more for a hardtop than the ragtop version of the car. I can't think of any other manufacturer that does this.

However, I think it'll allow Porsche to drop the 3.4L in the Boxster in a year or so and charge even more than $65K. So even if the Boxster takes away some 911 sales, the profits will still be built in, so to speak.

UKBXSTR 02-23-2005 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeannot
http://www2.porsche.com/cayman/pcgb.asp

anybody else angry that they put a better engine in the 'boxster coupe' than in the boxster itself?

not really - they had to do something will all those rebuilt 996 3.4 litre failures.

Jeannot 02-23-2005 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKBXSTR
not really - they had to do something will all those rebuilt 996 3.4 litre failures.

so you think it is the same engine generation as the 98' 996s? surely they have put variocam+ on it but now. But then why did it loose 5hp in the process? marketing to protect the old lady 911?

It will be interesting to see what happens to this car.
I personally bought the boxster for the cabrio. I don't see myself going for the Cayman when a 911 is only few thousands away from the money Porsche is asking for this newborn...

Pilot2519j 02-23-2005 03:21 PM

Where is the beef here

Quote:

Originally Posted by QporscheQ
dumb name . . . 295Hp

Q,
Where did you read it is 295 and the engine size? I looked at the video which almost drove insane and I did not hear anything regarding the engine.

QporscheQ 02-23-2005 03:23 PM

I started clicking things and more audio kept playing. Eventually the voice said "295 HP".

After the video is finished a bunch of words will come aross the screen. Click the word "Passion" when it appears.

Perfectlap 02-23-2005 03:34 PM

http://store1.yimg.com/I/eagleday_1834_41294041

hmmm I like the side profile. NOICE...

QporscheQ 02-23-2005 03:37 PM

Porsche Press Release:

The Cayman is Slotted Between the Carrera and the Boxster

ATLANTA, February 23, 2005 — Porsche will be expanding its range of vehicles with the introduction of a new sports car based on the Boxster series in the 2006 model year. Positioned and priced between the 911 Carrera and the Boxster S, the new two-seat sports car, named the Cayman S, is aggressively styled to reflect its enhanced handling and more powerful engine. At the same time, highly efficient space utilization makes it one of the most practical sports cars in its class.

The Cayman S joins the Carrera, Boxster, and Cayenne, model designations that are already rich in tradition. It derives its name from the smallest of crocodiles, the caiman, which is known to be swift and nimble. With its more powerful 295 bhp, 3.4-liter, six-cylinder boxer engine mounted in the middle of its chassis, the new fixed-roof model reflects the strength and agility of its namesake perfectly and is capable of providing driving pleasure in its purest form.

Brucelee 02-23-2005 04:05 PM

Ok, I am buying a carrera why?

This is a coupe, looks great like a Porsche should and is mid-engined. Why would I buy a base or even an S carerra?

Hmmmm! This seems like cannibalism to me!

JonnyBGood 02-23-2005 04:08 PM

I've got to ask this... Cayman is the island. On the Porsche web site, they are featuring a bunch of crocodiles which are CAIMAN crocodiles. Am I stupid here? Or did Porsche make a huge marketing mistake?

Shouldn't someone own a dictionary?

Perfectlap 02-23-2005 04:23 PM

no its probably more 'phonic' if you spell it incorectly.

The big mistake is that the the Caiman (and the crocodillo) is known as the short snout gator.

The Aligator has the long snout.

Being bred of a roadster (long nose short back) it would have been more approapiate to call it the Porsche Gator

PeterJoyce 02-23-2005 04:54 PM

Under energy, Porsche says, "kinetic energy waiting to be released", when we all know it should be potential energy. haha.

Adam 02-23-2005 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
no its probably more 'phonic' if you spell it incorectly.

The big mistake is that the the Caiman (and the crocodillo) is known as the short snout gator.

The Aligator has the long snout.

Being bred of a roadster (long nose short back) it would have been more approapiate to call it the Porsche Gator

Traditional roadsters have long noses and short rear decks ie: vettes, Z4's. However, this is because the engines are in the front which neccitates the need to move the driver as rearward as possible for decent weight distribution. The Boxster and Cayman don't have long noses and short rear decks because the engine is not in front so the term "gator" wouldn't be appropriate here. Jeannot, the 3.4L in the 996 series has 296hp so Porsche only "detuned" the cayman by 1hp.

Pilot2519j 02-23-2005 05:51 PM

New name 987LS

I think that no matter what Porsche is doing with the coupe the engine will trickle down to the Boxster. It would make for a more efficient and streamlined production line especially for a small car manufacturer like Porsche.
The name is lame. That name is enough defer buying the car. Make it the 987LS(long snout). I am still keeping my Boxster 986SN short snout. :)

Richard EVO 02-23-2005 09:19 PM

The Cayman Islands are where crooks hide their money in phony corporations and secret bank accounts.

IceBox 02-24-2005 12:43 AM

What's in a name? The top doesn't go down. What's the point?

tqtran 02-24-2005 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
The Cayman Islands are where crooks hide their money in phony corporations and secret bank accounts.

Wrong, the Caymans opened their doors and books to the US Govt in the late 90's. You can't hide money there. :ah:

Subanez 02-24-2005 04:45 AM

So I'm thinking that when folks learn how to modify this new coupe version, and add some more HP, and get it into competitions, it'll show its big brother what's up.

I have the strangest feeling that anyone owning a Cayman will get nothing but vile sneers from 911 owners.

And I agree...I wish that the boxster could have a bit of this extra power.

QporscheQ 02-24-2005 04:59 AM

I have a hard time believing that anything short of a GT3, GT2, or Turbo driver is going to be able to stay along side a Cayman S long enough to get a vile sneer in. :dance:

A few quick questions I've had floating in my head this morning:

Is this yet another attempt by Porsche to kill the 911?

or

Is this an attempt by Porsche to kill the low end of the 911 family? (i.e keep the 4S level and up)

Adam 02-24-2005 06:57 AM

I agree Q. It really doesn't make sense to buy a more expensive car that is less capable in practically every way. The base Carrera will still have 25 more hp than the Cayman S, but the extra heft of the 911 will pretty much nullify that advantage. The only case I see for buying a 911 now would be for the back seat, but I'm willing to bet the back seats in most owners' cars don't see much use anyway. That, and there will be the people that just have to have a 911 because of the heritage and prestige that the name carries.

Richard EVO 02-24-2005 07:07 AM

The Cayman S will be what the 911 used to be. The 911 has been gradually going upmarket with models like GT3, GT2, uprated Turbo model (I forget what this is called). a 997 S is about a $90,000 car with a relatively few options added.

So if the Cayman S can be available in the $60,000 range, it will fill the place in the Porsche lineup once occupied by the 993 and earlier 911s, back when there was a 928 GT or S4. The 911 is now in the spot previously occupied by the 928, but at a much higher price.

Ronzi 02-24-2005 07:53 AM

The first model of the Cayenne was the "S", then came the Turbo, then the "standard" Cayenne with the V6.
So maybe we will be treated to a Cayman Turbo a few years down the road, followed by the standard Cayman, with the 2.7 Boxster motor?
I suspect our beloved Box will remain the entry-level Porsche, but 911 buyers had better brace themselves for some hefty price increases, to put a little distance between it and the $65K Cayman (S).
It is always comforting to know that Porsche continues to set profitability records, year after year.

Richard EVO 02-24-2005 10:47 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0z/CaymanS.jpg

I found this with a Yahoo search on "Porsche Cayman S" this morning. I think this is an official pick, but not sure. It sure looks like a 911.

Here's a link: http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000627033030

Adam 02-24-2005 12:00 PM

I know what you mean. If it wasn't for the intake grill on the side, I would've thought I was looking at a 911.

Pilot2519j 02-24-2005 12:32 PM

Only guessing at performance

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
I know what you mean. If it wasn't for the intake grill on the side, I would've thought I was looking at a 911.

I would anticipate doing the 0-60 in 4.9-5sec or lower not by much. The 987 S is 5.1 secs. then the top speed is has to break the 170 mph. What do you think? I still prefer the convertible. My opinion is that the engine eventually will find itself in the 987.

Adam 02-24-2005 01:37 PM

If the cayman comes with an optional 3.4L and the option is not offered for the boxster, Porsche will definately hear about it from disgruntled boxster enthusiasists.

FUHRIUS 02-28-2005 03:34 PM

It Still Is A Hardtop!!!

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but when I went looking for my Boxster, the caymen would never have been a consideration because it's not a convertible!!!! The two cars simply can't be compared...I'll take 0-60 in 5 1/2 (or whatever) seconds and go cart-like drives up to Skyline Blvd with the top down anyday over 0-60 in 5 seconds in a hardtop.