Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2002, 07:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

Question Oil Change?

How much does a standard oil change cost for a Boxster? Is it just like any other car that costs about $35 dollars or is it like a benz where it costs like $150? Need help

roadracer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 04:59 PM   #2
Forum Contributor

My dealer quoted me $120 for an oil change.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:55 AM   #3

I realize this isn't for everybody, but I was really pleased with just how easy it was to do my own oil change recently.

In case you're interested, here's what it cost me...

$ 48. => 10 quarts of 0w40 Mobil1 (Auto Zone)
$ 16. => Oil Filter Element & O-Ring (Dealer)
$ <1. => Drain Plug Washer (Dealer)
--------
$ 65 Total parts cost

$ 4. => "6 Wrenches in 1" Oil Filter Socket (Wal-Mart)
$ 17. => "Low Clearance" Auto Ramp Set/2 (Wal-Mart)
$ ~5. => Home Made "Extenders" for Ramps ("Low" apparently <> "Porsche-able" ) - 2ea scrap 2x10" @ 2' & 2 lag bolts ea to secure them
$ 6. => Nice Hex Key Set -> incl. 5/16" size needed (Aubuchon)
$ 7. => Nice 12 Qt Sealable Oil Drain Pan (AutoZone)
$ 1. => Wide Mouth Funnel
--------
$ 40 Total equipment cost - 1 time

So, for $105 you can do your own first oil change and learn something about how the underside of you car looks (and maybe get a bit needlessly worried ). It can be very informative to see the color of your used oil and know what shape the running gear of the car is in... After that, it would only be the $65 parts cost each time.

There are several web pages that show you how to do the work, like this. But they might not get across just how easy it is to do because of how well the filter and drain are positioned on these cars. In the old days I did a lot of this, but this was by far the easiest one I've done since a '62 Rambler (my first car - with all of 196 cu in & 3 speeds!).

Last edited by donv; 03-28-2005 at 02:40 PM. Reason: HTML code was turned off, revised to vbcode instead for links
donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 02:57 AM   #4

Talking Ramps for oil change

I have read that Rhino ramps work well, you can find those at Wal Mart. I have them, but have not used them on the Boxster. I have changed oil using them on my 2000 Jetta. From what I have read, the Rhinos work only for the back on the Boxster, front is too low. But, for an oil change you want to back up anyway. Now you would also want to get it level once up on the ramps, if you have a sloping driveway, you're in like Flint. One of these days I will do my own oil change on the Boxster, it's simple enough to do. But, for the time being I don't mind paying $50 more than the oil and filter would cost, it's not that much more to have the dealer do it.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 05:28 PM   #5

I don't get it mjbliemal, why put the car up on ramps to change the oil? I just jacked up one side of my car loosened the plug and dropped the car back down until it all drained out. Then I just jacked her back up and replaced the filter and plug, let it back down and then filled it up. This seems like the simplest way. Why mess with the ramps?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 06:38 AM   #6

From my perspective, there are two primary reasons:

1) More working room w/two wheels up
2) I Don't trust a jack with my life...

Putting the car up on the ramps is easy, if you have them. If not, the jack method sounds good too. Just be sure to stick a jackstand under the car as well for safety!
Old 04-06-2004, 10:33 AM   #7

I take mine to a ten minute oil change and run the Ames oil and it is $117.00 which I dont think is bad

Automon is offline   Reply With Quote