Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #1

demo car purchase opinions

hello all,

so i'm thinking about taking the plunge and getting a boxster. the baby under question is a 2008 "demo" boxster base. msrp is $55k but the car is on sale for $39k.

at first i thought "demo" meant it was a test driven car or something, but there was only 11 miles (13 miles after my test drive ) on it. the dealership told me it's a demo car because the dealership "bought" it so that it can be listed as a sale for porsche... or something to that extent.

i would be listed as the car's first owner, but the warranty would be backdated to when the dealership bought it (december 2008).

anybody have any opinions/ideas/suggestions on getting a demo car?

hope to soon join all you boxster owners (= thanks.

987wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987wannabe
hello all,

so i'm thinking about taking the plunge and getting a boxster. the baby under question is a 2008 "demo" boxster base. msrp is $55k but the car is on sale for $39k.

at first i thought "demo" meant it was a test driven car or something, but there was only 11 miles (13 miles after my test drive ) on it. the dealership told me it's a demo car because the dealership "bought" it so that it can be listed as a sale for porsche... or something to that extent.

i would be listed as the car's first owner, but the warranty would be backdated to when the dealership bought it (december 2008).

If you're the first owner why the backdated coverage? I have bought demos before, each time the warranty has equaled new car status. IMO, if you decide to go for it you should try to get this dealer to extend the warranty themselves if needed.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 07-19-2009 at 04:45 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:45 AM   #3

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. It's like getting the first 2-3 years of depreciation off.

Dave S.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987wannabe
hello all,

Sounds like they "punched" the car back in December, to artificially inflate Porsche's sales numbers, and set the clock ticking on the warrantee. This allows them to sell the car for a bit less, but the eventual owner winds up with a car that has less original warrantee time to work with.

Tell them to CPO the car, which extends the warrantee even further for that price, or drop off another $1k to $2k since it is technically a used car now, and they are probably looking for a sale.

That, or try to wing a deal on a 2009 with the IMS-less engines, and several extra ponies.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
If you're the first owner why the backdated coverage? I have bought demos before, each time the warranty has equaled new car status. IMO, if you decide to go for it you should try to get this dealer to extend the warranty themselves if needed.
Actually thats not correct. A demo means the car has been put in service and always starts from the inservice date, otherwise its not a demo. Some dealers misrepresent cars as demos to hide the fact that they have just been sitting around the lot for a while or to justify the miles. Some dealerships(most) use demos as perks for employees to drive. normally they just discount them to cost and take off some for depreciation. Normally you can get a new 0 mile car for the same if your savy enough.

Disclaimer, I have been in the car business for about 8 years and was a new car sales manager for the largest dealer in NW ohio. Including Porsche,BmW, jeep, olds, mitsu, subaru .....

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 07-19-2009 at 10:06 AM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #6

Id say offer them 32k or 33k Out the door, including tax, title, and fees.. chances are they will jump at it in this economy.

Me and my dad just picked up a 2008 997 C4S Cabriolet new from the dealer about 2 months ago. It was sitting in the showroom and we were sitting at the managers desk just chatting. We asked him the asking on it.. $93k .. Offered him $65K out the door, they took it. ( Then again, we have bought several cars through them over the years.) Now we have a nice summer car sitting down in Florida to only be drivin about 1k miles a year... talk about a waste of money.

What do you think will happen to the value of the car if it isnt sold and by this time next year what do you think itll be worth because of the warranty being in effect for almost 2 years. Chances are if you dont buy it, it wont sell for awhile yet depending on the area this dealer is in..... its all economics.

Last edited by PlayersExpress; 07-19-2009 at 10:51 AM.
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersExpress
Id say offer them 32k or 33k Out the door, including tax, title, and fees.. chances are they will jump at it in this economy.

Me and my dad just picked up a 2008 997 C4S Cabriolet new from the dealer about 2 months ago. It was sitting in the showroom and we were sitting at the managers desk just chatting. We asked him the asking on it.. $93k .. Offered him $65K out the door, they took it. ( Then again, we have bought several cars through them over the years.) Now we have a nice summer car sitting down in Florida to only be drivin about 1k miles a year... talk about a waste of money.

What do you think will happen to the value of the car if it isnt sold and by this time next year what do you think itll be worth because of the warranty being in effect for almost 2 years. Chances are if you dont buy it, it wont sell for awhile yet depending on the area this dealer is in..... its all economics

Heck of a deal, Now where did you say the car was sitting?....

Dealers have most of their cars floor planned. Meaning they pay interest on each car , so the longer it sits there the more it costs. The smart dealers put spiffs(bonuses) on any car the hits 60days($200) 90days(300).... on up to most I have seen is a spiff of $750 on top of comissions. Most sales people get around 25% to 35% of gross, plus a cut of financing(warranty and insurance). Thats why it seems salespeople have a favorite car they steer everybod to. Only problem on cars sitting around is you can have warped rotors, dead batteries. Not a biggy but beware.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #8

Oh its just sitting at our house thats on the beach of the gulf of mexico in the Port Royal / Naples area of Florida .... Youll never guess which big house with walls, gates, and security systems is our winter getaway.

It was a deal, but then again we have bought our last 6 cars through them from the same manager.

But in all earnest he should offer 32-33.5k out the door for it and see where it goes. Forget extending the warranty.. ill take my 39k+tax and fees - 33k = 10k up front.. reinvest it and make %6 a year... the extra money will more than cover having a shorter warranty.

PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote