Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 06:12 AM   #1

outside temp sensor

Hi

quick one about outside temp sensor ( the one sticking out from the grill in the front bumper)

does anyone know exactly how this affects the performane / temp of the car ?

and do you know how it connects ? and where

Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #2

The ambient temp sensor plugs into a harness which lives behind the front bumper and then is inserted into the 'o' shaped receiver in the plastic grill on the pass. side. I doubt it has much effect on performance, if any.

This is because there are numerous temp sensors throughout the car including one which is integral to the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor). If the DME uses it at all, I suspect that it 'weighs' the various sensors assigning differing priorities to each. For fuel mapping, the air charge temp sensor (MAF) and the coolant temp sensor are likely to dominate.

The sensor in the front grill is mostly a convenience sensor for the dash display and also figures into the climate control, although this too has numerous sensors in the ductwork and cabin as well as sensors for solar radiation in the dash which all combine to allow the cc to select the proper temp and fan levels.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #3

Dont need?

Thanks lil bastard,

basically my car had a fron accident and its gone, i dont relly want to pay porsche for a new one, so i should be ok without it ?
Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #4

Thumbs up The purpose of the temp device

You will be OK. The outside temp device is to let you know that on a sunny hot day when you ride with the top down that it is not as freaken hot as it seems. It also works on cold days when it shows you that it is not as cold as it seems with the top down.
One other purpose is to let you know when a cold front is passing by and the weather is about to change. (Of course this only applies if the top is up.)

ChefCarnivore is offline   Reply With Quote