986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   boxster 2000 47k Is it the water pump? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/21374-boxster-2000-47k-water-pump.html)

harvfiat1 07-16-2009 09:07 PM

boxster 2000 47k Is it the water pump?

I am a Boxster owner for two weeks and I have a significant (while running )coolant leak just below the water pump. I changed out the hose clamp at the bottom of the water pump to no resolution of the issue. Is there anything else to check up on on the issue of coolant loss in this area. In reading the threads it seams that the overflow tank has some bearing on coolant loss. My trunk is dry.
I am inclined to replace the water pump,gasket and serpentine belt and see how things work out. If anyone has had a similar problem I would like to hear about it.

Thanks in Advance
Harvey

Lil bastard 07-16-2009 10:11 PM

Waterpump is a good guess!

Easy swap - good luck!

:cheers:

mikes_box 07-16-2009 10:19 PM

when i bought my second box this year it only had 38k miles on it but when i had the ppi done they said the waterpump was leaking and needed to be replaced... to the surprise of the original owner since he said he never saw a drop on the garage floor... the mechanic said there was splatter on the cover... it was good for me since the owner dropped his asking price $850 which the shop quoted for the repair... lucky for me i didn't have the shop do it... ordered an aftermarket pump, oem sperpentine belt, and coolant... a few hours (2hours or so) of diy and good as new for less than $150.... check rockauto for the parts i believe i picked up mine for under $100...

JP308 07-17-2009 12:58 PM

Sounds like your water pump and get it replaced before it completes the dump of fluid all over your garage. Just had mine done. I went OEM, not aftermarket. It was the bearings that went. Mine included some kind of squealing noise as well. Expect to pay about 5-600 all installed for OEM.

mikes_box 07-17-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP308
Sounds like your water pump and get it replaced before it completes the dump of fluid all over your garage. Just had mine done. I went OEM, not aftermarket. It was the bearings that went. Mine included some kind of squealing noise as well. Expect to pay about 5-600 all installed for OEM.

sqyealing noise was probably a sign it was ready to go as the serpentine belt also works the waterpump...

JP308 07-17-2009 02:15 PM

Yes, I was told I was lucky that I could get the car in without it completely going. All I did was top up with water and headed straight to the mechanic. When he got the pump off and showed me he said he was surprised it was still running. bearing was completely shot, and the belt needed to be replaced.

urban_legend 07-18-2009 07:49 PM

Mine went with no notice...

No noise, no leak...just kerboom! Waterpump go bye bye.

harvfiat1 07-29-2009 06:51 AM

water pump install

thanks for the responses. The water pump and serpentine belt turned out to quite straightforward. The pump did not offer any noise or grinding sounds but the old pump did have a pretty good wobble on the impeller side.