Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #1

Continental ContiSportContact 3 Versus Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires

Thanks to the forum members I am learning a little about Tire Rack and tires. I see were Tire Rack is offering Continental ContiSportContact 3 tires as an option ("Best Seller") for my Boxster. They are only $10 per tire cheaper than the original equipment. Does anyone know how they compare to the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires?

What is the difference between the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires and the Michelin Pilot Sport Rib N1?

Thanks for all the help. Running over a piece of metal today has me searching quickly for the right tire to replace what were good tires.

Ed

Sugarlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:58 AM   #2

When I bought my S, it had the original sport contact 1 series on it with about 13200 miles.

They were also 6 years old so when I replaced them in spring 08, I bought the Michelin Pilot Sport Rib N1 series from the Tire Rack. Back then they did not offer the PS2 in and "N" rating. Now you see they do.

To be honest, I like continental tires and just put some on my wifes Honda, but I think Michelin is better suited for a high performance car and mine Pilots handle awesome.

Whatever route you go though, I'd say you would be happy, but I did research the reviews on all tires before my purchase, and I don't think the conti's came up to par for that particular model.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #3

My LE came with ContiSport 2s and initially I was disappointed because I was hoping for the Pilots that come std on some Boxs. However, I've been impressed with the everyday characteristics of the Contis. They have 11K on them (the car has 15K) and they look quite good. I use my Box as a semi-DD and don't track or AX it, so I don't need a gumball qualifying tire. The Contis suit me fine.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #4

Question is, what do you want from your tires?

There are compromises you have to make, between performance, lifespan and price.

The PS2's are a great tire, run a search and you find my many posts praising them.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #5

I bought the Michelin PS2 from Tire Rack and hope they are delivered on Monday.

Thanks for the input from all.
Sugarlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #6

Sugarlander, you'll love them. I love mine.

Just don't attempt to drive your car in temps lower than 32 degrees or 40 degrees and wet. We've got ultra performance SUMMER tires.

They do really well in dry or wet temps above 50 though, and that's most of the time around these parts of the world.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to jwkanvik
Another option...

...I put Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrics on my '05. They were far cheaper than the OEM Michelins. I notice a little less grip on the very edge of the envelope, but other than that, they are the equal to the Michelins in terms of traction, comfort, and noise. The ride is a touch stiffer because the fronts have a heavier load rating than the Michelins. Something to consider.

JWK
'05 Atlas Grey Boxster
'08 Meteor Grey Cayenne

jwkanvik is offline   Reply With Quote