Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #1

Changing gears doesn't change radio volume ...

Thumb habits seem slow to change.

Honda Odyssey has audio volume switches on the steering wheel. Been driving this for about 3 years now.

Boxster tiptronic has shift buttons on the steering wheel. Only had this for 2 months.

More than once now, I've thumbed the Boxster's shifter up/down depending on current song. Luckily it's usually a shift up, but a few days back I was tooling along in 5th on the highway and a crap song came on. I thumbed down a few times to change volume and suddenly dropped to 3rd. Surprised the heck outa me and just about ran up someone's back end.

Lately I've been driving more in the manual mode and I think the thumbs are coming around.

Last edited by lizBox; 07-09-2009 at 05:24 AM.
lizBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:55 AM   #2

Know what you mean... the TL has radio contols on the wheel. I normally just drive in auto.... unless I feel like playing, then I turn off the radio anyways.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #3

Does that feature only work with tiptronic? I have 2000 Boxster S stick and it doesn't seem to adjust volume. On radio I found option for "Loud On" or "Loud Off." Is that the correct option for that function?
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #4

no, the radio volume doesn't change with the gears. I was commenting on me being a goob and not using my brain when in the boxster. Seems like my thumbs have a mind of their own and end up changing gears when trying to change the radio volume.

although I do recall something about the dsp controlling your volume wrt speed.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #5

Well thats what I was trying to say. I remember seeing a post somewhere (thought it was here) but I couldn't locate it. It was about the radio increasing volume when your speed increases. I believe it was independent of the actual gear but you were talking about gears so I got confused. And somebody said that they modified it somehow to make it work better but it looked like quite a project (i.e. hooking up components to speedometer circuit).

EDIT: It seems with a little more searching, I managed to find the info here

The only thing about this hack that I don't understand it the GAL setting. He says to look in the radio manual, but I don't have one. Is that separate from the car manual because it's not in there? Also has anyone performed the cabrio relay hack?

Last edited by Viper5; 07-14-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #6

Ouch, hopefully you haven't hit the rev limiter on accident doing that!

But thinking about it, it wouldn't be such a bad idea to change the stereo volume defendant on your RPMs, as well as your speed. Although that would mean blasting the radio every time you wanted to accelerate hard.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #7

i have a separate user manual for my CDR 220. Page 26 says this about GAL:

The user menu is selected by pressing the down arrow button for longer than 8 seconds. SEL USER appears on the display. Further actuation must take place within 4 seconds or user menu is quit.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #8

Where the heck did you get that manual from?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #9

it was in my pouch with other manuals such as owner manual, tequipment accessories, lifestyle accessories, and maintenance.