Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #1

Dealer pricing variances

Below is a price matrix for various filters I need for my 1997 Boxster. As you can see, Sunset in Oregon has the cheapest prices except for one item, which is from Suncoast. I could have kept going with Pelican and others, but decided not to.

Momentum is one of three Sonic owned and operated stealerships in the Houston area. Porsche of North Houston is an independently owned and operated stealership, and their prices are a tad lower for parts and service. Frankly, they don't have to be a lot lower to get a bunch of local business. The price gouging that goes on at the Sonic stealerships leaves lots of room for profit well above the suggested retail prices from PCNA.

Suncoast and Sunset are what I call dealerships. Their markups are reasonable, although a friggin' air filter should not cost more than about ten bucks for any car. This isn't their fault though. The blame is squarely on the shoulders of PCNA and Porsche in Germany.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 07-09-2009 at 09:06 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #2

Garage
LOL i had a very similar sheet going when i was shopping for parts for my 60K mile service. I went with Suncoast for all the parts. Didn't realize that Sunset was slightly cheaper. I'll keep that in mind for next time
2011 Mercedes Benz GLK350 - Gunmetal Grey
ramo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #3

Sunset has ALL the other dealers PISSED OFF because they are undercutting their own peers

I have found Boardwalk Porsche in Plano TX to be the most knowledgeable and centrally located for parts. They actually STOCK a lot of stuff (and most dealers these days DO NOT) so shipping is FAST.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #4

What if... (heaven forbid), you decide not to buy Porsche stuff??? AKA aftermarket stuff... Fram, STP, Bosch, Mahl?

What is the savings then?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #5

Brad: I'm betting the owner(s) of Sunset don't really care. They're cleaning up by offering parts at 15% over hard cost. That's smart business.

Interestingly enough, a fellow forum member said he walked into Sunset and asked for the pricing he was quoted from his home state (he was on vacation at the time) and was told Sunset only offers the good deals to long-distance telephone and web buyers. Walk-ins pay retail ++ just like the stealerships here in Houston.

I'm just glad Sunset is doing it. If it were not for their more reasonably priced parts, I would have been forced to sell my car a long time ago.

BTW, I sure wish you'd go over to your other thread and update us on the Cayenne motor swap project!!!

Vath: I've not check into aftermarket parts yet. Some times they're less than local stealerships and still more than factory stuff from Sunset, believe it or not.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #6

Actually, some are better and worse.
Oil filter: $13.99 at AutoZone (STP)
Pollen Paper: $43 at AZ (Mahl)
Air Filter: $14, internet - RockAuto (Fram), but $8 S&H.

No Fuel filter...yet.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #7

OH NO!! Your starting to sound like my 914 friends when it comes to parts!! LOL

I KNEW the Boxster was a cousin of the 914

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
I have found Boardwalk Porsche in Plano TX to be the most knowledgeable and centrally located for parts.
Agreed Boardwalk seems to have everything in stock. It's a great source for little parts, fasteners, and odds and ends that become obvious after the car is already torn apart. Parts guys will try to match Sunset / Suncoast pricing if presented a quote but it's obvious they are none too happy about being undercut. (Actually just came from Boardwalk and John took care of me. Thanks Brad)