Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #1

GAHH top self-install ?

I see that GAHH (one of our sponsors) currently has a killer deal for their insulated glass tops

I was wondering if I can install the top myself.
Did anyone ever try it?

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #2

Chris, men install tops and you are a man, therefore you can install this top.

I do not think it requires any special tools.

And I know there's a tutorial online for it somewhere. Maybe Mike Focke or Pedro would know.

If you pay to have a GAHH authorized installer do it, you get a very good warranty that covers the top AND the labor to replace it or fix anything in the next X years.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #3

Here's the link to Mike Focke's guide:

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/replacingthetop-adiy

If anyone ever wants to replace their own top in the Central Virginia area, let me know. I'd love to assist on one before I try my own.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #4

I just paid to have mine done. I wouldn't take this on myself. Lots of quirky little things can go wrong. The little ball thingies break. Then you have to go buy the right parts. You need to lube the frame in the right places. You need to stretch the new top just so. If you wire the defroster wrong the wire will break. I just don't see this as a job that will go well as a do-it-yourself effort. Putting on a top is an artform.

By the way -- my GAHH has the new acoustic material. I strongly recommend getting it. The new top is literally as quiet or quieter than my hardtop. Big difference from the original.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #5

I spotted this in the FAQs:

I would like to make a purchase from you, and install it myself. Do you have installation instructions?

No, we do not. We recommend all our items be installed by a professional. Our products are not designed to be installed by anyone other than a professional. Improper installation will void our warranty.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:47 AM   #6
Rennzenn

Garage
I've done three so far this year. There are a couple of quirky little things, but it's not such a terrible job. I'm in central Virginia ... hey Kevin H, where in C.VA are you? I'm just east of Charlottesville.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
I see that GAHH (one of our sponsors) currently has a killer deal for their insulated glass tops

I was wondering if I can install the top myself.
Did anyone ever try it?

Chris,

Went to the GAHH website and I don't see any special prices on Boxster tops. What "current killer deal" are you referring to?

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:24 AM   #8

While I'm all for DIYs, I would approach this one with caution. at the very least, make sure you research al the DIYs on the net and pay attention to any tips/tricks. I bought my '02 box with the GAHH top, which was supposedly professionally installed. However, it was installed incorrectly, causing the top to separate from the seams where the top meets the rear edge of the window (it would be easier to explain w/pix). I took the top to 2 authorized GAHH installers in my area to see if it could be fixed and both indicated that the damage was likely due to an improper install. on top of that, since I didn't know who installed the top originally or have any receipts, I would pretty much be eating the cost myself (approx $900).
jjanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:55 AM   #9

I'll have to get a top in the next yr of so. I started doing homework and contacted GAHH with some questions re colors, fabrics, etc. They were not very helpful.
I'd like to think that I could do this myself, but the warranty issue is important. Plus the aggravation that would be experienced before the thing fails.
Can anyone put an $ estimate of the cost of professional installation?
That's a great link for DIY above, but it really alarms me that there are a lot of things to screw up!
I wish you all the luck possible and please keep us informed about your decision and progress.
Bob
Old 07-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
Can anyone put an $ estimate of the cost of professional installation?

Just got mine done. And, I already forgot what I paid, but it was something like $800 for the top and $600 to install. Maybe $1400 all-in.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-00BoxsterS

Chris,

Went to the GAHH website and I don't see any special prices on Boxster tops. What "current killer deal" are you referring to?
less than $1k for the sound insulated top (incl. shipping)
I was under the impression that some time ago they were like $2k but maybe my memory is off...
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #12

Quote:
I was under the impression that some time ago they were like $2k but maybe my memory is off...
Call them for a quote. I got a small discount. But it was definitely under $1K and worth every penny.

The sound insulation really makes a difference.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #13

Fatmike ~
19K on an '02 and you needed a top? Plus you own a hardtop? Was it damaged or bad window, or just wanted an upgrade or color change?
Did you get the glass window? If so, what 's your opinion of the reduced view from the driver's seat?
Sorry for all the questions......

Bob
Old 07-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #14

a local shop quoted me $1400 + tax to do a glass top install - that's part + labor. I believe that was for a GAAH top... didn't get the exact brand, but they did say, if I just went out and sourced my own top and had them install it they charge $550 to put it on.

I can get my plastic window fixed for about $275-300 if I just hvae them sew in a new plastic window.

my top is not that old and in good overall condition. too bad I can't just sew in glass...
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #15

I had a GAHH top installed by an "approved" installer. The top and installation was only about $1200. If anything goes wrong, GAHH will pay for the repair and labor. I think it is worth the money. I don't have the sound insulation. Wish I did. I love the glass window and use the defroster often on Florida. The window is definately smaller and you have to be carefull backing up due to a larger blind spot. But moving foward, there is no problem and I have no problem changing lanes.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Too bad. I saw the $925.00 price but was hoping I was missing a hidden link with an even better price. lol.

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
Fatmike ~
19K on an '02 and you needed a top? Plus you own a hardtop? Was it damaged or bad window, or just wanted an upgrade or color change?
Did you get the glass window? If so, what 's your opinion of the reduced view from the driver's seat?
Sorry for all the questions......

Bob

Hi Bob. My car has 33kmiles on it now. I need to update my signature.

The car (and top) are 7 years old though. The plastic doesn't last in the cold of the northeast. In spite of my best efforts, the plastic developed a crack last year. It was bad enough that there were cracks on both sides. The car couldn't be left out in the rain. It looked terrible.

Yes, I got the glass window. I find that the visibility out of the rear is dramatically improved. I couldn't see a damn thing out of the old plastic window. I used dedicated cleaner and polish, but the visibility was just terrible. Yes, you lose some "window area" with the GAHH top, but what you get is adequate in size and crystal clear. What you are really losing is an inch or two along the top. You'll find that you simply don't notice after a couple of days.

Get the acoustic material. It really makes a difference. Its super quiet (like my hardtop - probably quieter actually). I might not put my hardtop on this winter. My car is a DD.

I like not having to do a karate chop when I put the top down.

Really - worth every penny. If your OEM plastic window is cracked, this upgrade is a no-brainer.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #18

Great review, FatMike. You have me convinced about what to buy when the time comes.

Bob
Old 07-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #19

GAHH Customer Service????

I sent an email to GAHH a week ago asking them for a list of "approved" installers and have never heard from them. What can I expect after they have my money?
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
I sent an email to GAHH a week ago asking them for a list of "approved" installers and have never heard from them. What can I expect after they have my money?
I had the same issue when I emailedthem about installlers. Took over a week for them to get back with me. However my phone call before then was answered promptly and the salesman I talked to was very helpful. I still however have not made my purchase yet.

There is another company that sells what looks like an identical top for a couple of hundred less. When I get home this morning I will post a link. Don't have it on my iPhone.

funkdefino is offline   Reply With Quote