Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2005, 12:00 PM   #1

Need a spare key?

Below is a link to an ebay auction selling a remote key head that may or MAY NOT work on your model year Boxster. You'll have to call the parts counter at your local dealership to get the part number right and then match it to the picture in this auction...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40016&item=7956234014&rd=1

If your part number does not match this one, then pass it up... but if it DOES match, whoo-boy you'll save some dough.

What's good about this auction is that this remote key head has the original tag on it and this is the ONLY way a Porsche remote key head's transponder can be programmed or reprogrammed.

I bought one about three months ago from this Ebay seller and then ordered a blank for my car through the parts counter and had the dealer program it. Saved well over $100 this way over just asking the service department to order the key parts and do it for me.

(Don't be fooled by the morons selling used Porsche keys on Ebay as they are totally worthless...well, not completely worthless... if you want to give your teenager a key to your Boxster for Christmas that won't work, this is the least expensive way to do it!)

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 02-21-2005 at 01:23 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:49 PM   #2

broken link...
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:23 PM   #3

The link works now. I just fixed it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 08:00 PM   #4

really?
I picked up a brand new one with a gold crest and the bar code tag from Ebay as soon as I got the Boxster. I called the dealer and they told me it cost $150 and then another $100 cut the key. One of my clickers was acting strange even after I changed the battery so I figured I'd have the old key put into the new clicker. I looked at the back and they both had the same FCC ID so I figured it was fine.
Guess I'll have to call up the dealer now.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:01 PM   #5

The FCC number is the same on all all keys - it is the 315 mhz frequency used in the US.

That ebay remote is for a 996. Boxster keys start with 986. But it is a good deal for a 996 owner, or maybe you can get it to work on a Boxster.

Each remote has a unique 24 digit code on the paper tag. Without that code the remote is worthless.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote