Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #1

sea foam

hi just wondering if anyone has ever tried using seafoam engine cleaner. would like to know if i can use it on my 1997 boxster, it has 30000miles. tks

bonvita1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
bmussatti

Why do you want to use it? Are you getting poor mileage? Winter storage?

I suggest using a high quality fuel from a busy gas station.

This is not Porsche approved. The only approved gas treatment is the Chevron product with Techron I.I.R.C.

If you decide to use the seafoam engine cleaner, make sure you do an oil change after that tank of gas is used up.

I am assuming the seafoam cleaner you are asking about is added to the gas.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonvita1973
hi just wondering if anyone has ever tried using seafoam engine cleaner. would like to know if i can use it on my 1997 boxster, it has 30000miles. tks
Only if you don't give a damn about your car; Seafoam is worthless marketing hype.......
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #4

I've used seafoam with great results...in my lawn mower.

Otherwise, I would not use it in a porsche or any modern car for that matter; I have no empirical evidence to back this up, other than the fact that a lot of manufacturers, porsche included, advise not to use fuel additives, with some exceptions (such as the Techron mentioned above in Porsche's case).

I would also be concerned about imost fuel additives' effect on emissions controls.

If you go the sea foam route, be careful when you're introducing it into the system if you're using a vacuum hose method (i.e. sucking up the sea foam through brake booster hose or whatever) as you don't want to risk hydrolock.

Your best bet, if you having idling problems, is a good throttle body cleaning and to make sure you use good quality gas.
jjanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #5

I've used Techron. It makes a small difference. Make sure you change your oil after a fill-up or two.

Also, just curious - are your spark plugs original? If so, change 'em. It makes a very big difference.