986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Porsche 911 on Mythbusters (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/21192-porsche-911-mythbusters.html)

ramo80 06-30-2009 12:31 PM

Porsche 911 on Mythbusters

Has anyone seen the Mythbuster episode where they had the 911. They were trying to prove that the faster you go during rain with your top down the less water you will have in your car due to the aerodynamic effect.

Does anyone disagree or agree with that. My question is the faster they drove the quicker they got out of the small section they had under rain. I'm not disputing the fact that if you drive fast you would have less rain in your car due to some aerodynamic effect but i'm not so sure that you would have so little rain like they showed on the show.

mptoledo 06-30-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramo80
Has anyone seen the Mythbuster episode where they had the 911. They were trying to prove that the faster you go during rain with your top down the less water you will have in your car due to the aerodynamic effect.
Does anyone disagree or agree with that. My question is the faster they drove the quicker they got out of the small section they had under rain. I'm not disputing the fact that if you drive fast you would have less rain in your car due to some aerodynamic effect but i'm not so sure that you would have so little rain like they showed on the show

No Offense but...
I see your/their point, but why couldn't they have used a miata, saturn, or anything else? It seams kind of sacrelegious to fill a Porsche with water. :eek: Plus Porsche owners have the common sense to pull over and put the top up!! :cool:

Fred Demara 06-30-2009 02:23 PM

...higher ratings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mptoledo
No Offense but...
but [/B] why couldn't they have used a miata, saturn, or anything else? :cool:

mikefocke 06-30-2009 03:19 PM

Try it sometime

It works like that for me. Often I'll get caught with the top down as it starts to rain and I drive for miles until I can pull under an overpass that will shield me while I slow and stop and put up the top. But while I'm going fast with the top up very little water in the cab.

Frodo 06-30-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikefocke
It works like that for me. Often I'll get caught with the top down as it starts to rain and I drive for miles until I can pull under an overpass that will shield me while I slow and stop and put up the top. But while I'm going fast with the top up very little water in the cab.

Agree. It seems like you create an airstream that carries the raindrops over and past the interior of the car.

The problem I have is that water runs up the windshield and then drips down from the corners of the windshield and into the car. It's not a lot, but enough that I pull over and put the top up. Otherwise I really think you could leave it down, at least in light rain.

orange260z 06-30-2009 03:40 PM

I used to drive that way in my Miata all the time... the harder it rained, the faster I had to go, but I've driven for extended periods in fairly strong rain without getting water in the cab. The water coming off the windshield would go across the side windows and end up somewhere behind me.

In my experience, the Boxster is a whole different story... although I may not get we from water falling from the sky, the water coming off the sides of the windshield does come right into the car. With the side windows closed the back edge of the window is still too far forward, and the water streaming off that comes and hits the side of your face and your shoulder.

Just my $0.02,

Ayan

ChrisZang 06-30-2009 04:04 PM

see also similar thread here:
http://www.babblers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11096

ramo80 07-01-2009 04:43 AM

yeah i keep getting the drops of the side of my windshield too and some of the top of the side window (i drive with the window up). Most of the time it drips on the door handle and it keeps worrying me that its going to seep behind the panel and short something so i keep wiping it with my sleeve :p

pk2 07-01-2009 07:14 AM

ages ago I used to drive my 914 to mostly free ways almost year around with the top off and I really never got wet. Seemed like 45mph was the magic #. a few stry sprinkles

I've tried it in the box (top down year around) and it' much harder due to a 4 fold increase in traffic.

Regards,

CRCGuy 07-01-2009 08:24 AM

+1 for miata ! I've driven in some serious downpours on the interstate at ~65 with nary a drop hitting me. I didn't even pull over to raise top. A bit drips from corners of windshield, but 99.99% blows right over you. What's better is the look you get from other drivers!!!