Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #1

stolen wind deflector screens on craigslist?

This craigslist ad has all the marks of stolen items: misspelled words, wrong years, items that are often stolen, etc.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/pts/1241351012.html

They are underpriced, and could be resold at a profit, but to me it's not worth dealing with what appears to be a thief.

If anyone had their defector screens stolen in New York, these might be yours.

If anyone from this forum posted this ad ... well, there's no way that could have happened.

Last edited by Gougoushu; 06-30-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #2

Great heads up for everyone on this forum!

Here's a few more tips to keep your windscreens on your car and not in the hands of thieves or on the side of the freeway in pieces:

1) Don't leave your top down and your car unattended. That's just good common sense.

2) One or two black zip ties on your roll bar inserts at the bottom will not easily seen until a thief tries to remove them. Cheap insurance for them blowing out or being popped out when your idiot passenger decides to recline his or her seat back and it pushes the insert out of the roll bar.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I've seen peoples' tops cut into for those items. It's pathetic.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #4

Maybe PO-SHA is how they pronounce it in the Hood.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:13 PM   #5

3 "peas" ?????

I would arrange to meet with the person just to hit them upside the head and hand them an English textbook... horrible

awesome tip on the zip ties. I've never thought about them coming out while driving with the top down. cheap security!
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:59 AM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Seriously though, I've always wondered why people were always trying to source these pieces. Didn't think that there would be such a market for them that they would be stolen regularly and then resold on fleabay or craigslist. Now litronics, I could understand, as they are high ticket items that command decent resale (another thing I worry about). LOL. But, don't most people order the winstops with the car from the get go, or is it that there's a market for them now that everyones' windstops are regularly stolen?

Old 06-30-2009, 05:30 AM   #7

I zip-tied mine as well, for quick top-down stops in the suburbs. The top is never down in urban areas, mostly to avoid lobbed-in objects from haters.

Another tip is to wrap electrical tape around the tabs that hold the deflectors in place in the rollbar, which prevents them from rattling and popping out so easily.

That is horrible about tops being sliced upon to get at these -- in what neighborhood(s) have you seen that, Boxtaboy?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:03 AM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gougoushu
I zip-tied mine as well, for quick top-down stops in the suburbs. The top is never down in urban areas, mostly to avoid lobbed-in objects from haters.

Another tip is to wrap electrical tape around the tabs that hold the deflectors in place in the rollbar, which prevents them from rattling and popping out so easily.

That is horrible about tops being sliced upon to get at these -- in what neighborhood(s) have you seen that, Boxtaboy?
Well, here's an example of one fella's windstop and rollbar screens being stolen after someone sliced up his soft top at a strip mall in northern New Jersey. Scumbags...he ended up having to replace his top with a glass GAHH top.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:32 AM   #9

I'm of the opinion that virtually ANY set of deflectors on the auction market are stolen unless sold by a wrecker (LA Porsche, Okla. Foreign, etc.), especially if a full set are being offered.

No one that I know of has ever sold a set (at least without the car too). I'm sure someone has, and maybe will chime in, but by-in-large owners keep them, not sell them.

So realize that any time you buy a set from an auction to save a buck (OK maybe more than a buck), you're very likely doing so at someone else's expense and probably encouraging future thefts, maybe even of yours.

Thieves wouldn't steal 'em if no one bought them.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:48 AM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I'm of the opinion that virtually ANY set of deflectors on the auction market are stolen unless sold by a wrecker (LA Porsche, Okla. Foreign, etc.), especially if a full set are being offered.

No one that I know of has ever sold a set (at least without the car too). I'm sure someone has, and maybe will chime in, but by-in-large owners keep them, not sell them.

So realize that any time you buy a set from an auction to save a buck (OK maybe more than a buck), you're very likely doing so at someone else's expense and probably encouraging future thefts, maybe even of yours.

Well said Lil!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:08 AM   #11

Quote:

I have a 996 wind deflector on E-bay right now, I didn't steal it. LMAO
Old 06-30-2009, 07:09 AM   #12

Quote:

When I was dealing in Boxes, I ended up with a set that I sold on craigs list. Otherwise, you are probably right.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
When I was dealing in Boxes, I ended up with a set that I sold on craigs list. Otherwise, you are probably right.

That's what I meant when I said: "(LA Porsche, Okla. Foreign, etc.)"

I knew a few of you would chime in, I expected some valid exceptions.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #14

Quote: "I have a 996 wind deflector on E-bay right now, I didn't steal it. LMAO."

Posted by ohioboxster.

A likely story.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gougoushu

I cannot agree more with you Gougoushu. Ever since I got my car, I have been targeted by Haters.

My fiancee and I found an ideal parking garage (or so we thought) and I had my bumper bully stolen!

I was tailgated numerous times as well, cut off once last night with a bunch of people staring at me. Whats going on with today's world? People work hard for their cars, me included.
DANMKII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #16

What the heck is a "bumper bully?"
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
What the heck is a "bumper bully?"

NICE, lol. Bumper Buddy.

Its a rubber matt to protect during parking situations. I live in NYC.

I must say, I never experienced such joy driving my boxster while at the same time experiencing so much hate.
DANMKII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:30 AM   #18

Dan, I'm surprised a Boxster would get much attention of any kind in manhattan, with far more exotic cars on nearly every block.

Having the top down, however, really puts you at the mercy of haters, along with the squeegee guys, mentally ill, other random mean people etc.

Now I have one more reason to be glad to have a hardtop [a Zeintop] for the Boxster.