986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Need Help: What wax & interior uv protectant to use? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/21152-need-help-what-wax-interior-uv-protectant-use.html)

mptoledo 06-27-2009 09:25 AM

Need Help: What wax & interior uv protectant to use?

Newbie here.
Let me preface this by saying I don't have the energy I had when I was 20 so I really am not looking for an all day or weekend project. :D

I am quite overwhelmed at all the waxes out there. I am looking for a good easy to use wax with uv protection for my silver 2001 boxster(mostly garaged). The paint is in perfect shape. I would really appreciate your imput. I was looking at the turtle ice or something by meguiars, but it really doesn't matter.

What interior uv protectant do you guys recommend?

PlayersExpress 06-27-2009 09:41 AM

I like to use Meguiars products for waxing, polishing, etc. and usually I use Turtlewax/Armor All for the interior.

Most of the people I know that wax their cars use Meguiars products and it comes highly recommended from them and now from myself :cheers:

Just my .02

mptoledo 06-27-2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlayersExpress
I like to use Meguiars products for waxing, polishing, etc. and usually I use Turtlewax/Armor All for the interior.

Most of the people I know that wax their cars use Meguiars products and it comes highly recommended from them and now from myself :cheers:

Just my .02

Thanks a lot for the reply:
Unfortunately there are at least a dozen different meguiars. do you use the spray on type? I really like the ease of use ones.

Adam 06-27-2009 10:17 AM

I like zaino. Go to www.zainobros.com and check into their Z2 polish.

mptoledo 06-27-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
I like zaino. Go to www.zainobros.com and check into their Z2 polish.

Wow, that stuff looks like the ****************!! I would love my box to look like the guys z on there. Sound like a lot of work, but if the end result looks like that, it might well be worth it. Thanks!!

schnellman 06-27-2009 12:42 PM

I'm A Mother's Boy

I'm down in Dayton and I too keep my Boxster in the garage whenever I'm not out for a drive. I use Mother's products to include the clay bar kit with liquid carnuba wax and the Showtime instant detailer with a microfiber for touchups. I just gave her a bath with Dawn, using a soft brush on the top. Dried the wheels with the leaf blower. Painted 303 Protectant on the top with a paintbrush. She couldn't be prettier.

mptoledo 06-27-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schnellman
I'm down in Dayton and I too keep my Boxster in the garage whenever I'm not out for a drive. I use Mother's products to include the clay bar kit with liquid carnuba wax and the Showtime instant detailer with a microfiber for touchups. I just gave her a bath with Dawn, using a soft brush on the top. Dried the wheels with the leaf blower. Painted 303 Protectant on the top with a paintbrush. She couldn't be prettier.

Yeah, I defiantely have to do some more research.

Hey off topic, did you see the party on I75 today. apparently a bud truck was stuck off the side of the overpass and beer was gushing out to the road below. If it had been a day earlier I could have drove my box under it and got me some free Bud!! Just look up and open my mouth :cheers:

bmussatti 06-27-2009 05:14 PM

+1 for Zaino.

RejeX wax is great for the wheels and leaning edges like the front bumper and side mirrors. Bugs rinse off with soapy water.

Best leather care products are from www.colorplus.com. And I've used them all to know.

On tires, plastic and vinyl I use Vinylex. I have heard good reports about the 303 stuff. May try someday.

Get Ragg Topp and treat your top. Cleaner and protectant.

Mike_Yi 06-27-2009 07:54 PM

+1 for Zaino. On a silver car it will look fantastic! It also lasts a long time.

Don't use Armor All on the interior. It dries out the plastic and can lead to cracking. I can't recommend anything else to use, but I'd recommend using really nice window shade like: Heatshields

CRCGuy 06-28-2009 12:13 AM

+1 for 303 Happy customer for over a decade. Apply liberally via towel (do NOT just spray as over-spray will get all over glass/clear plastics/paint) then after 10-15mins wipe off excess with soft, lint free towel. You're stuff will look showroom new even after 10yrs in the sun.

AUDIOGUY 06-28-2009 05:25 AM

I have been a Finishkare guy for years now. The best after wash spray I have ever used is FK 425. The stuff is magical and affordable. I use their ph balancing car wash soap. Also their other waxes and decontaminant treatments are excellent as well.

Here is the link
http://www.fk1usa.com/products-consumer.htm

You should try the 18.00 kit first.. this is a sample of their products. I love them!!

Best of luck!
by the way, I havent seen Perfectlap comment yet??? vacation??? ; )

RandallNeighbour 06-28-2009 05:45 AM

Just to restate the obvious for everyone, don't use Dawn to wash your car unless you are specifically washing the car so you can wax it. Dawn strips off every last bit of wax and paint protection you've applied to the car.

A good wax-safe car wash from Pep Boys is what you want to use. I use the purple Meguirs stuff.

Frodo 06-28-2009 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
I have been a Finishkare guy for years now. The best after wash spray I have ever used is FK 425. The stuff is magical and affordable. I use their ph balancing car wash soap. Also their other waxes and decontaminant treatments are excellent as well.

Here is the link
http://www.fk1usa.com/products-consumer.htm

You should try the 18.00 kit first.. this is a sample of their products. I love them!!

Best of luck!
by the way, I havent seen Perfectlap comment yet??? vacation??? ; )

Back to the Finishkare continued existence question (another thread): Has anybody actually successfully ordered anything from them lately? I got on their site and signed up for their newsletter/product notice feature, and got a response ('Thank you, blah, blah, blah").

I also emailed and asked if they were still in business. No response...

bmussatti 06-28-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo
Back to the Finishkare continued existence question (another thread): Has anybody actually successfully ordered anything from them lately? I got on their site and signed up for their newsletter/product notice feature, and got a response ('Thank you, blah, blah, blah").

I also emailed and asked if they were still in business. No response...

I have been trying to order Finishkare's F-425 for about 3-4 weeks now. No luck. I think they are toast.

Adam 06-28-2009 07:07 PM

Are there any vinyl protectants out there that don't leave a shiny slick residue? I hate that greasy look so I avoid using them.

mptoledo 06-28-2009 07:32 PM

I found some Mothers yellow 26 on a shelf in the garage. I think I will try that out on my mountaineer and see how that does. I still here nothing but great things about zaino though. I have read that a lot of pros use carnuba and then a sealant on top of that.

bmussatti 06-28-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
Are there any vinyl protectants out there that don't leave a shiny slick residue? I hate that greasy look so I avoid using them.

Adam, try the Vinylex. One of our PCA Concours judges recommended this to me 3 years ago. Get stuff. What surface do you want to treat?

Adam 06-29-2009 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Adam, try the Vinylex. One of our PCA Concours judges recommended this to me 3 years ago. Get stuff. What surface do you want to treat?

The dash mainly. I'll look into the vinylex. Thanks!