Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 03:09 AM   #1

Boxster better than the 911

I have been thinking about trading in my 2000 base Boxster for a 2000-2004 911 so I could have small back seats for my younger kids. Yesterday, I test drove 2 cars and I was surprised at my impressions.

First, I think the Boxster is a better looking car compared to the 911. But what really surprised me was the ride. My Boxster has much better handling and braking. I know people have written about this on the forum, but I had to experience it for myself to really appreciate my Boxster. In addition, my AC blows colder in my Boxster (important in Florida) and I had to press much harder on the clutch on both of the cars I test drove, compared to my Boxster.

I have to admit, the 911's were quicker, but overall (at any price) I enjoyed the ride and experience of the Boxster compared to the 911's.

Eric

E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:48 AM   #2

They do feel different. But judging one as "better" is a very subjective conclusion.

I've driven almost every 911 variant from a '73 to an '04, including SCs, Carreras, 964s, 993s, 930s, etc. They all share a common tail-heavy feel. Once you are used to it, you grow to like it, and some, understandably prefer the 911 feel. If you ever track a 911, you grow to appreciate the amazing things that heavy rear end can do when driven well.

Having said all that, my opinion is the same as yours. In everyday street driving, the Boxster rides and handles better than a 911 and is more fun to drive. However, for at-the-limit track driving (which in my mind is the true measure of handling performance) it's tough to beat a 911.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
However, for at-the-limit track driving (which in my mind is the true measure of handling performance) it's tough to beat a 911.
I think the boxster/cayman is a better platform for putting down fast times and is a superior track car. The rear heavy 911 understeers badly in the tight turns and in the faster turns oversteer can be an issue. The car is simply fundamentally flawed and not balanced correctly. When going 10/10ths on the track a more neutral mid-engined car is better. The 911 is a good track car and Porshe has done a good job engineering the car to deal with its rear weight bias, but it will never be a neutral handling car like the 986/987.

Last edited by Adam; 06-25-2009 at 05:49 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #4

Kaplan I've had the same desire to move to a 996 for the same reasons. I often have to take my other car, due to lake of back seats in the Boxster. I also like the looks of the Boxster and of all the 911s over the years I find the 996 series to be a bit bland looking w/o an aero kit.

As for the performance difference, the full potential of the Boxster let alone a 911 can't be appreciated on the streets. That’s not to say I don’t want more power, but do I need more power? Can I put the additional performance to use on the street? Since I don't track my car it’s hard to justify the price difference in moving "up" the model ladder.

The A/C and clutch issues you experienced may have been problems with the particular car you drove as I haven't heard any gripes about them from 996 owners.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #5

911 v Boxster

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and vehicle preference is in the seat of the pants of the driver.
I absolutely love hanging out the tail of my 911. Adjusting for over/understeer with the accelerator is a real hoot. But, 99% of the time the Boxster is more under control. (With apologies to Mario Andretti of course.)
A mediocre driver could go faster in a 928 than a 911 and I'll bet the untrained driver can go faster in a Boxster than a 911. Just like questions about color and design, it's all a matter of personal taste.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Log

>>which would win??

If a Boxster or Cayman had the same engine as a 911 would it beat it??? I wonder if Porsche purposely de-tunes the Cayman so it does not outperform their flagship model.
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #7

Which is why many of us have opted to put the 911 motor in the 986. My lil frankenstein car is great to drive. I like the styling of the 986 better also. my .02
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log
If a Boxster or Cayman had the same engine as a 911 would it beat it??? I wonder if Porsche purposely de-tunes the Cayman so it does not outperform their flagship model.
The answer is yes to both questions.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #9

I think the Boxster is a better looking car than the 911. There are a couple wide-body 911 models that catch my eye, and whatever model 911 has the intake vents similar to the Boxster, that one is nice too, but over all, I really prefer the lines of the Boxster.

roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote