Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #1

Carbon parts?

Hi all,

want to replace some interior parts of my 97 boxster with carbon panels. I have seen quite a few on the internet but was wondering if anyone else has bought any from somewhere that they can recomend? Or an ebay seller?

Want something to look nice, otherwise I would leave the stock parts in!

Regards,
Sam

sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #2

www.macarbon.com

www.bumperplugs.com
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #3

Cheers, will check them out. Anyone else? I was hoping to find a carbon roll bar cover. I believe I saw this somewhere on the net one night, now I cant find it again. Was I dreaming or is such a part available?
Sam

Last edited by sparker; 06-23-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #4

When I get some more free time (rofl) I will be messing around with carbon fiber some more. Mostly for my 944, and light switch covers for my kitchen, but if there are any parts someone wants wrapped/replaced with carbon I can give it a shot. I have to iron out my vacuum bagging technique to make really good cosmetic parts.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #5

would be interested yeah mate, only problem is I am from Australia which may make logistics a little hard. Let me know how I can help though.

Sam
Old 06-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #6

I've tried to steer clear of CF bits for my Boxster interior (although I've done the exterior - intake scoops, mirror housings, license plate frame, and hood). The interior stuff gets spendy real quick. I've been considering stuff for my 996 though which has no CF on the exterior but has a few parts inside that I would like to add to. I've searched several different forums and most people are very happy with the quality of MA Carbon. They've got decent selection too. I'd stay away from the Porsche stuff as it tends to turn yellow and crack or delaminate. People seem to be more satisfied with the quality of the MA Carbon stuff over stuff from Porsche.

But I'm going to throw another source into the mix - DB Carbon:

www.db-carbon-interior.com

They have a much wider selection of parts and their pricing is much better. Note that they also offer a variable discount with the more you order. I haven't seen tons of reviews of their products, but what I have seen has been pretty positive. In a few months once I get my credit card paid down a little I'm planning on purchasing about $2,000 in parts from them that would cost me $3,200 from MA Carbon.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
sparker,

I've got quite a few interior CF parts that I bought from a couple of Porsche dealerships and a few eBay sellers. All of the parts are OE except one that may or may not be OE. This one part matches the OE parts exactly but I haven't seen it listed or pictured anywhere else which makes me question its origin.

Like Kirk I've seen and read about the OE stuff yellowing and cracking. I've had some of these parts in the car for several years and thus far I've been lucky. People seem to love or hate CF. I love it and think it works well with my grey interior.

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #8

Epoxy resins are not all UV stable. Composite parts from places like MA are most likely also coated in clear coat for a better shine and UV protection.

I have WAY too much on my plate right now to be messing with carbon projects. Also I only have a 4harness weave and all the parts in those photos are a 2x2 twill. The 4H doesn't look as good but is strong.

It may be a month or two before I am good enough to make cosmetic parts, i have been playing around with structural parts like splitters and body panels that can get painted and are likely to get damaged.

I will let you guys know when/if I can produce parts that are pretty enough to warrant selling. And for those on this forum they would be very affordable.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #9

ddb - your interior looks fantastic! I have grey interior too and hope that I can have mine looking that nice one day! Can I ask where you got that cup holder from?

And thanks for the link Kirk - DB Carbon is great!

Sam

Last edited by sparker; 06-24-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #10

IMHO Carbon is becoming very passe', it'll date the car waay more than just leaving it stock.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #11

One note on the OEM CF pieces - I do believe it's UV that destroys them. I've seen several instances where the OEM CF steering wheels crack like crazy because of this. I think it depends a lot on where you live, how harsh/intense the sun is, and where you park your car. I live in NorCal where it's supposed to get up to 107/108 this weekend. When it gets hot like that I can tell you the sun is really intense. In the three years I've lived here it's totally trashed the paint on my Honduh daily driver. I drive my Box more to work now, but not when the heat rises, then I drive the ol' Honduh and just let the damn thing bake. With my 996 I have a CF steering wheel and I ALWAYS put a sunshade in the front window no matter where I go. Loren (who runs Renntech) told me this is a must if I want to keep my steering wheel in one piece. I just thought I'd throw that out while we're discussing CF pieces - I would consider a sunshade for those bright sunny days just to be safe, regardless of where you get the parts from. I've seen people around here with CF hoods that have gotten trashed in no time from the intense sun. I've got a CF hood, mirrors, and intake scoops. Mine look perfect though as I garage my car and don't park it outside on those days when the temp is up over 100 (it gets up to 114 here)....

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
IMHO Carbon is becoming very passe', it'll date the car waay more than just leaving it stock.

It's like furcoat or plasma TV for car guys ...

Dry carbon in matte finish seems to be the cool thing these days. After finding out a pair of those mirrors cost $1k I've decided to spend my money on something else instead.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #13

Here is an example of Porsche OE carbon fiber vs. MAcarbon. (boosted from their site)

Beautifully perfect CF work.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #14

wow that looks amazing-- i am considering CF for my 03 986 ( yes i call my boxster 986 ;0)

i have to agree with some of you guys... it does get pretty expensive.. i just purchased that replcement turbo wing for the stock "pull out" spoiler-- cost me 500$ usd incl. shipping to canada...

next: side scoops, lic plate, then..p-----ricey interior....

MIMA is offline   Reply With Quote