Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #1

Car wont start... i know its the ignition

This is my DAILY DRIVER and I have no other car

Hey guys, the box is also now immobilized due to the ignition. Starter is fine.. im just trying to figure out which part i need to buy to replace in the ignition.

I called Porsche of Westmont and the guy said $160 for the part and refused to give the part number.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the part/number?

Is this the part im looking for??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350171816149&viewitem=&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching#ht_869wt_1191

Thanks a million,

Adam

PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Moostang
This looks exactly like the part. When mine went out .. i swapped it with the same part but found it using the VW / Audi part number ( same part ) and became a contortionist to install.

good luck

Moostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #3

I ordered mine from suncoast or sunset, don't remember, it was about the same cost as the one you linked. Not a difficult install, but, as Moostang said, you have to lie on your back and look up under the dash to do the swap. Search on here or renntech for the install directions, it's pretty easy. Man I hate stealerships......
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #4

Here's a thread with instructions
Ignition switch

The Audi part is 4A0-905-849-B, available at any dealer.
(Edit: Any Audi dealer that is)

Last edited by timothy; 06-19-2009 at 05:11 PM.
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #5

I just want to double check.. everything electrical is working, top, radio, windows, etc.. its all working fine, the key is turning.. but it will not start.. unless i turn it 50 or so times... lol..
Old 06-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersExpress
I just want to double check.. everything electrical is working, top, radio, windows, etc.. its all working fine, the key is turning.. but it will not start.. unless i turn it 50 or so times... lol..
When this part fails the usual symptoms are exactly the opposite of what you describe. The key won't turn, the key gets stuck, light switch does not work, etc.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #7

Grr... well its something in the ignition because the starter is fine... and sometimes if i keep turning the key sooner or later it will trigger the starter.. something isnt making contact in the ignition...
Old 06-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Grr... well its something in the ignition because the starter is fine... and sometimes if i keep turning the key sooner or later it will trigger the starter.. something isnt making contact in the ignition...

Most likely the starter. The starter and solenoid are integral and the plunger on the solenoid gets all gunk'd up not allowing it to fully return home and close the contacts. Sometimes you can clean it up, but depending upon how many yrs./mi. are on the car, pulling it to clean it is the same work as just replacing it, so consider this because if you clean it and return it, it could fail sooner rather than later and you'll have to do the job again.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #9

Thank you Lil B... Now that still leaves me in the next boat.

How do I get at it? lol...
Old 06-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #10

Quote:

"I just want to double check.. everything electrical is working, top, radio, windows, etc.. its all working fine, the key is turning.. but it will not start.. unless i turn it 50 or so times... lol.."

Quote:
Just a note that a co-worker with an older Golf GTI had exactly the same problem.

Not to disagree with a couple of the other posters, but it turned out to be the ignition switch.
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic
Quote:

"I just want to double check.. everything electrical is working, top, radio, windows, etc.. its all working fine, the key is turning.. but it will not start.. unless i turn it 50 or so times... lol.."

Just a note that a co-worker with an older Golf GTI had exactly the same problem.

Not to disagree with a couple of the other posters, but it turned out to be the ignition switch.

No disagreement at all.

We're all just speculating as to what the issue may be since none of can actually see the car in person.

The reason I rule out the ign. switch is that the lister says that he does get the starter to engage after several tries, so I'm thinking sticky solenoid plunger.

'Course, there's no guarantee that I'm correct.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #12

I think you might be right Lil B. Example, yesterday the car started up just like normal on the first try every time (started the car 10 times yesterday) This morning I was off of work and I was going out to eat breakfast with my grandfather for father's day... hopped in the car 2 hours a go and bamm.. nothing. Car wouldnt start. No starter noise or anything just all the power options working like normal.

Ohh and the key turns normally and doesnt get stuck.