Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #1

Install litronics - can you install self level too?

I have a 2000 base with standard halogens. If I can find a car that has factory installed litronics - is there anything I would need to source from that car besides just the lights htemselves?

I am working on a deal where I may be able to buy the litronics off a friend's car - his car is a '9 996 that came with litronics from the factory. We are working out a fair price - he is in the process of preparing to sell his car, and figures he'll sell me his lights, and pocket some extra cash before he sells hte 911.

anyway - if this materializes,and I get to buy these - can I also "harvest" whatever electronics run the self leveling feature, or is that soething that canno be installed int omy car?

just curious as to what I can and cannot transplant off the car with regard to the lights.

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #2

"Harvest", and "Transplant" ??.....Are you sure you want to partake in this complicated medical procedure in your garage ???....LOL
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
I have a 2000 base with standard halogens. If I can find a car that has factory installed litronics - is there anything I would need to source from that car besides just the lights htemselves?

I am working on a deal where I may be able to buy the litronics off a friend's car - his car is a '9 996 that came with litronics from the factory. We are working out a fair price - he is in the process of preparing to sell his car, and figures he'll sell me his lights, and pocket some extra cash before he sells hte 911.

anyway - if this materializes,and I get to buy these - can I also "harvest" whatever electronics run the self leveling feature, or is that soething that canno be installed int omy car?

just curious as to what I can and cannot transplant off the car with regard to the lights.
No, you cannot install the "self leveling" feature; it requires sensors on the front and rear suspension and a complete wiring harness. You can transfer the lights and the control electronics which will allow the lits to swing up and fill in the high beams, but the self leveling feature would be a nightmare to replicate........
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #4

what is the stuff that I have to take/install to make hte lights tilt up?

okay - I get it - the self leveling is one feature, and the ability to tilt up is another.

I can live w/out self leveling. this tilting up thing sounds cool. is that just something built into the lights themselves, or is it a separate component that needs to be removed? is it easy or hard?

is there any set of instructions onilne that shows me exactly where this stuff is and what i need to remove beside the light.

i have removed headlights before - that's not a problem. my concern is whether there are additional parts/electronics/motors/wiring that I will need to remove and put into my car?
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
what is the stuff that I have to take/install to make hte lights tilt up?

okay - I get it - the self leveling is one feature, and the ability to tilt up is another.

I can live w/out self leveling. this tilting up thing sounds cool. is that just something built into the lights themselves, or is it a separate component that needs to be removed? is it easy or hard?

is there any set of instructions onilne that shows me exactly where this stuff is and what i need to remove beside the light.

i have removed headlights before - that's not a problem. my concern is whether there are additional parts/electronics/motors/wiring that I will need to remove and put into my car?

"Skyler" over on the PPBB has a write up on his site which shows what you need.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #6

Garage
Litronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
"Skyler" over on the PPBB has a write up on his site which shows what you need.
As you probably know, the litronic lights themselves are "plug and play". As far as installing the additional hardware that is needed to activate the rotation of the upper and lower beams is concerned , in my experience the amount of time and labor that was involved was simply not worth it. The end result produced a very minor difference. I would suggest installing the litronics and forget about this other negligible feature.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
As you probably know, the litronic lights themselves are "plug and play". As far as installing the additional hardware that is needed to activate the rotation of the upper and lower beams is concerned , in my experience the amount of time and labor that was involved was simply not worth it. The end result produced a very minor difference. I would suggest installing the litronics and forget about this other negligible feature.

Actually, all that is required in the installation of a small control unit (about the size of a pack of cigarettes) in the headlight wiring harness; takes about 10 min.

As for the difference it makes, once you have it, you’d never be without it………………..