986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Not a good noise (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/21046-not-good-noise.html)

PWebRPH 06-18-2009 08:49 PM

Not a good noise

Bad day today...
After running some errands today in the Boxster (2005 S) I pull in my garage and as I'm about to turn it off I hear a slight rattle-type noise coming from the rear. I leave it running and get on the ground to see what is up, and the rattle becomes a loud grinding noise that comes and goes. I turn it off, wait a minute or so, and when I turn the key again it struggles to start. When it does start there is more of the same noise.
It gets worse and then finally craps out all together. There was no fluid leakage of any kind, and I didn't dare try to start it again. Oil change was done by dealer in March, and it only has about 28k miles. I had it towed to dealer and am awaiting their diagnoses tomorrow.

Any ideas?
Oh, the warranty expired May 10th. Thank you Mr Murphy...

sd_boxster 06-18-2009 09:30 PM

Let's see what Raby says. Sounds ominous.

sd_boxster 06-21-2009 07:32 AM

Any update?

PWebRPH 06-21-2009 12:20 PM

Nothing yet, I believe I will get the bad news tomorrow though. Service guy called Friday and stated they couldn't find what is wrong, but there is no compression. They will be pulling and dismantling the engine tomorrow to the tune of $1700 for labor and will let me know.

I reeeeeeally hope I can get some warranty help on this

Boxster_S_girl 06-21-2009 02:52 PM

Urgh.. I hate hearing these stories with the 987. :(

Please update us when info becomes available!

fatmike 06-21-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWebRPH
Nothing yet, I believe I will get the bad news tomorrow though. Service guy called Friday and stated they couldn't find what is wrong, but there is no compression. They will be pulling and dismantling the engine tomorrow to the tune of $1700 for labor and will let me know.

Sounds like you already got some bad news.

Jake Raby 06-21-2009 06:48 PM

A nose followed by no compression yells IMS loudly.. BUT if it hasn't went too far we might be able to save it!!

PWebRPH 06-23-2009 02:21 PM

Update

Better news than what I was preparing for. The engine itself appears to be in good shape and does not need replacing.
How it was described to me by service rep is the bolt holding the IMS in place sheared off. They were still going thru engine to see if this caused any damage so I will know the complete story hopefully tomorrow.
Anyone see this before?

23109VC 06-23-2009 07:08 PM

1700 is better than 17,000. which might be what it would cost to do a Raby rebuild or swap in a 3.4!

all these stories make me worry.... i ddrove mine today and I have to say - the car is just SO much fun - it almost worth all the risk.. :)

PWebRPH 06-23-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23109VC
1700 is better than 17,000. which might be what it would cost to do a Raby rebuild or swap in a 3.4!

all these stories make me worry.... i ddrove mine today and I have to say - the car is just SO much fun - it almost worth all the risk.. :)

I hear ya. It's been pretty sunny the past few days here so not having the ragtop (and seeing everyone else in theirs) has been pretty depressing for me. When I bought it I knew it would be a roll of the dice as far as maintenance cost goes but they are just too damn much fun so that part is easy to forget.

clickman 06-23-2009 10:14 PM

What am I missing? They're pulling the engine and "dismantling"/"going thru" it for $1700?? That sounds way too cheap for any internal engine work.

PWebRPH 06-24-2009 02:05 PM

crappy update

Engine fail.
Pistons somehow damaged exhaust manifold.
Re-build = $10k
My ankles = I'm grabbing them

derb 06-24-2009 03:20 PM

PWebRPH,
That totally sucks. With the warranty up just last month I would hope you would get some goodwill from Porsche.
The 10k is to rebuild it? That money sounds like a new motor. I'd be worried about what damage might not be readily evident. Wonder what Jake thinks...

Good luck and keep us updated.
mike

PWebRPH 08-09-2009 11:37 AM

(finally) got her back

Picked up the Boxster from the dealer Thursday. Porsche covered about 80% of the cost, with my portion being about $2600. They covered almost all the hardware and labor.

While the whole experience has been a little depressing/disheartening, all in all it could have been a lot worse.

derb 08-09-2009 02:16 PM

That is good news. Being just a few days out of warranty I'm glad Porsche stepped up 80% of the way. Was a new engine installed or did they repair the engine?
Now go drive that thing!

PWebRPH 08-10-2009 10:42 AM

Just repaired with new parts, no new engine. Damn if feels good to drive it again, I love my truck but that gets old pretty fast on 90 degree days