Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2005, 05:30 PM   #1

(Winter) Road conditions in Atlanta Georgia? How harsh on a Boxster?

If I was presented with a used Boxster that lived in Atlanta for 4 years, how harsh could the winters (e.g. road salt) have been on it?

I live in the Pacifid Northwest and the winters are very mild. Very little salt on the city streets.

I have heard of horror stories for cars driven "in the East" as far as salt damage goes. Of course no one in their right mind would drive a Porsche in those conditions, but one must allow for morons....

socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 06:29 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
A little careful before you judge and call those of us that do (or would) drive in the snow morons. ;-) A daily driver is a daily driver, no matter the conditions.

As far as Atlanta is concerned, I assume you're talking about Georgia. If that's the case, the car might not have seen any road salt worth considering. Atlanta doesn't usually get hit with snow...ever.

That said, an undercarriage check is always a smart thing to do...bad things have a nasty way of hiding under there.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subanez
A little careful before you judge and call those of us that do (or would) drive in the snow morons. ;-) A daily driver is a daily driver, no matter the conditions.

I agree. Some people on this board drive their boxsters year around in less than ideal conditions and I say more power to them.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:11 PM   #4

I think it is fair to say that the weather conditions in the Northeast and other snow areas are hard on any car. Low slung sports cars like the Box are very prone to damage to the suspension and undercarriage. Pot holes are very hard on low cars and the winters and salt are rust developers.

That is why SOCAL is the best location for finding used Porsches. The sun is our biggest issue and that is easily handled as compared to say, what New Englanders face (hey, they do have the Pats and BOSOX!).

As to these snow drivers being morons, well, many folks can only afford one car and they simply choose one of the world's best. You can 't help but admire them for that.

And, it is my opinion that we here in CA have the nation's worst drivers. But, that is not a fact, just an opinion.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:31 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Brucelee, I'll raise a glass any day for the Sox and, my personal favorite since I was a boy, the Patriots.

Sorry about the Chargers...that was a BOGUS game against the Jets. I still think San Diego should have taken them out then and there. At least it was fitting that Brien missed two field goal attempts in their next game.

But then again, I'm a football fanatic.

I washed the Boxster today, and I swear it feels faster.

-Kevin

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:53 PM   #6

I know what you mean. Something about driving the car after a good wash and wax just makes it feel like a million bucks.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 11:56 PM   #7

Thanks for the quick answer to the Atlanta Georgia weather and driving conditions.

Part of being a bit reckless when driving in the snow in a valuable vehicle is not accounting for other morons. I nearly lost my Lexus when, during the first snowstorm of the year, a kid in a Honda Civic burnt around a corner at speeds that would have been risky in the rain let alone snow. A foot or so was the difference between the kid skidding past me and slamming into the front of my SUV at angle that would have surely bent it enough to have it written off. [Of course, then my "full-replacement cost" insurance would have kicked in and I might have been settling in now in a new RX400H...]
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:30 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
I lived in Atlanta for 15 years, and did not drive in snow once. It may snow once a year, but it usually doesn't stick enough to even have to clear the roads. And even if they do salt, 99% of businesses close down anyway. And again, this is MAYBE once a year.

And to anyone being a snob about driving Boxsters in the snow -- has it ever occured to any of you that some of us drive this car because it's a fun way to get to work with a smile on your face, not because we want a sparkling show queen with 52 miles on the odometer sitting in our garages. Furthermore, there are people out there who would use their Boxster as their daily driver to keep the miles off of something far nicer! So let's cut the elitist adittude; you don't know everyone's situation.

As for myself, I drive my Boxster because I am practical. Why have an old Honda to drive back and forth to work in 90% of the time? I'd much rather do that in my Boxster -- rain, sleet, and snow -- and when I use the car up (which won't be for a long time the way this thing runs!), I'll trade it in for something else fun.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:58 AM   #9

Talking

The good news is although I now live in SD, I am from Boston. So, I still root for the BOSOX and Pats. Alas, I am also a Yankee fan, so this year was tough, I did not know who to root for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subanez
Brucelee, I'll raise a glass any day for the Sox and, my personal favorite since I was a boy, the Patriots.

Sorry about the Chargers...that was a BOGUS game against the Jets. I still think San Diego should have taken them out then and there. At least it was fitting that Brien missed two field goal attempts in their next game.

But then again, I'm a football fanatic.

I washed the Boxster today, and I swear it feels faster.

-Kevin

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote