Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2009, 02:58 AM   #1

AOS swap out questions

Hi Everyone, I am in the middle of changing my AOS on my 2001 Boxster 2.7, with the help of a friend we have gotten the old AOS out and about to start trying to put the new AOS in. I have a few questions if anyone has any advice or answers I would love to hear it.

1) For those who have actually changed their AOS before, how exactly did you reach the AOS from underneath? I can only identify a small cubby hole where I can stick my arm and just barely be able to actually reach the AOS with the very ends of my fingertips(and I'm 6'3 so my arms are fairly long!)

I have to remove the rear passenger side tire to get a little closer, but I still could BARELY reach the AOS with my finger tips... Am I approaching it from the wrong area?

2) I can't even reach the area where the clamp is for the hose behind the O2 sensor. We had to cut the hose from the top, take the AOS out then remove the remainder of the hose and clamp from the top afterwards.

3) How exactly did any of you get the new hose for the AOS that is behind the O2 sensor re-attached?

4) I'm going back in with a hose clamp that will be tightened with a screw driver, at the moment, I can't even guess as to how I will actually be able to get a screw driver in their and be able to actually see the screw to screw it in....

5) The AOS that was removed doesn't not appear to be cracked, is it possible that the problems I was experiencing are a result of some interior problems with the AOS?

6) Any tricks or advice or help to make the install go any easier?

Never removed the bracket for the 02 sensor(I believe its an O2 sensor) because I have zero confidence that I would be able to actually screw it back in, just because I can either see the area or stick my hand in the cubby hole, can't have both sight and touch, area just not big enough!!!!!!

"Its Craptacular" - Bart Simpson 1997
joshua6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:45 AM   #2

I haven't needed to replace my AOS, so I haven't used any of the following, but they may be helpful (especially the first one, done by a seasoned 986forum member who, far as I can tell, seems to know what he's doing ):

Air/Oil Seperator write up?

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/airoilseparatorreplacement

The guy at this site slightly modified Brad Roberts approach. I didn't really closely read what he did, so I can't attest to whether it makes any sense or not:

http://www.babblers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10421

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #3

Thanks Frodo,

I was able to get the AOS back in, I still have to get back under the car and tighten the top 10mm bolt that screws into the engine block(bottom one is done), re-attach the 02 sensor bracket, and get back on top of the car to re-attach the middle and top hoses.....

All in all this was a slightly difficult very nerve racking job for me(a novice weekend wrencher), I had to "visualize" a lot because you can't see crap of what you are doing! But I can see the finish line at this point, going to try to finish it up tonight if I can get home while there is still some daylight.....

A few thoughts for those who try it themselves and read this...

I have read numous other post that indicated that tiptronics has less room to work with than sticks, I have a tiptronic and to say work space was "limited" is an understatment.

From underneath, either your hand is in the hole OR you can look through the hole, can't have both!

After disconnecting the 2 10mm bolts from the engine block and the 02 sensor, go ahead and slice the bottom accordion hose from above, remove the AOS and disconnect the bottom clamp from up above and save yourself the stress.

I used these clamps because I didn't see how it was possible that I was going to get a screw driver in there and be able to see what I was doing....

http://www.pipe-clamps.com/productsimages/miniaturewormdrivehoseclampswiththumbscrew_164715. jpg

I'm sure that using this clamp probably saved me an hour of frustration!

Anyone with any sort of experience can knock this job out, I'm very much a novice, but quickly gaining experience!

Thanks everyone for your help/advice.....

Old 06-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #4

I have done a couple of AOS replacement to include a Tiptronic trans. Yes Tip has less room to work with but still doable. See my post here. http://www.babblers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10941

Intructions I followed: Air/Oil Seperator write up?. See post # 36.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #5

Thanks Cas,

That is the instructions that I was following, I came across your babblers instructions on one of my frustration breaks lol....

Old 06-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #6

I didnt see where he said it was a tip, but I did mine a few months back on my stick '00 boxster s. It is pretty tricky but I was able to do it without removing any of the tires. The hardest part for me was actually the hose on the bottom which has to be removed from the top of the car. That was a pain taking off and putting back on. Other than that, you just have to figure out a position where you can get in and get er done. There are certain positions that are easier than others. That would be my advice for next time (since I see you pretty much got it done).
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:20 AM   #7

Update

Finished the install yesterday and cleaned the MAF(which appeared to me to be pretty clean), started the engine, sounded much better than before and was running smoother, however I still smoked up the drive way, jumped in the car, the smoke has stopped by the time I got to the corner. Drove the car for about 3 miles, turned the engine off, turned it back on and had no smoke. Woke up this morning and started the engine and once again smoked up the drive way, by the time I got to the corner, again the smoke was all gone. Any ideas? Do I have another problem? Am I just burning off oil? How long should I wait to see if the smoke stops?

Old 06-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua6060
Update

Finished the install yesterday and cleaned the MAF(which appeared to me to be pretty clean), started the engine, sounded much better than before and was running smoother, however I still smoked up the drive way, jumped in the car, the smoke has stopped by the time I got to the corner. Drove the car for about 3 miles, turned the engine off, turned it back on and had no smoke. Woke up this morning and started the engine and once again smoked up the drive way, by the time I got to the corner, again the smoke was all gone. Any ideas? Do I have another problem? Am I just burning off oil? How long should I wait to see if the smoke stops?
If your Boxster is parked on a slight angle (i.e., not on level ground, but one side lower than the other) the horizontally-opposed design of the engine will give you that occasional smoke on start-up.

Since you just replaced your AOS, take a look at your throttle body to see if there is still some oil that has collected there because of your old (faulty) AOS. If so, just clean it up and you should be okay.

Check out Pedro's Garage website is you also want to thoroughly clean your entire throttle body (as opposed to just cleaning up oil deposits caused by the faulty AOS).

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:59 AM   #9

Drove it the rest of the day yesterday(home from work, to the store etc). Started it up this morning and had absolutely no smoke! Purring like a kitten!!!!!!!

:dance:

Thanks Everyone