Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #1

Good DD to complement my Boxster for $30k or less?

I currently have a 2007 MDX for my wife as her "haul the kids around" while I"m at work car. We use it on weekend trips,etc.

I have my 2000 boxsters. which I drive to work on Friday's and on the weekend for fun, or on date night.

My DD is a worn out, old 99 Volvo sedan. it has been a pretty good dependable car, but it has about 150k on it. the A/C just died and i was quoted about a grand to fix it. the car is worth maybe 3-4k max... i really don't want to dump another grand into a car worth so little. i have a buyer lined up who wnats dirt cheap wheels and doens't care about the A/C iss ue and will give me a couple grand for it...

SO - I'm thinking of something to buy as a DD.

cars i'm considering.

Acura TL Type S
BMW 330 / 328 / 335
Acura RL (06-07 model)

i have three kids - and this car would likely get used sometimes as an alternative to the MDX. rather than drive the MDX to death and rack up miles too fast, it would be nice to have a second car we could take for smaller trips - so it needs to be a car that can fit three kids in back. two are in boosters, one is not.

the TL and 3 series will fit three but it's very tight. the 3 series is slightly smaller than the TL. the 3 series is RWD and likely more fun to drive.

you can find a decent 3 series for about whqat the Acura dealers want for a certified TL-S. I'm kind of partial to the Acura as we like our MDX, and the TL-S is actually a pretty fun car to drive despite being FWD, but the BMW is clearly more the driver's car.

Whatever I buy will be dealer bought, certified. i'll get an 07 model. I can likely get a TL-S in the mid to high 20s. like 26-27k max. which is a more comforatble price point for me.

I could get into a 3 series in that price, but it would be a 328 or 2006 330. The 335s are starting around 31-32k for lesser equipped models. 5k isn't s ahuge difference, but it all adds up.

i'm also thinking long term reliability and maintenance costs. assumikng either car has roughly 25-30k on it, and is "certified" for up to 100k and 6 years from teh date it was sold..assume each sold around mid to late 2006/early 2007, then it means the car would be covered for another 3-3.5 eyhars. i'll likely do a 5 year loan. so toward the end of ownershp, i'll be OFF warranty.

advantage would go to the TL for long term reliability and low maintenance costs - I woudl think.

i can imagine horrid repair $$$ on a twin turbo BMW.....

I have never been a big fan of Infinit, but honestly have not driven the G. so i can't say it's not something I'd like.

littler cars like Civics, Mazda3, etc are alll too small.
the RL is larger, but honestl, my parents have one, i drove it, it was really n ice, but it felt kind of like an "old guy" car. I'm 36.

of course I could always sell my boxster too and just buy a new M3... . (seriously, I don't know if a new M3 would really be as much "fun" as a boxster - top down, on a twisty road... yeah it's faster, beats it on the specs..but for FUN FACTOR, not much can compare to my boxster....which is why I love it so much.

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #2

I see everything on your list but Lexus (and Mercedes)!

I've never had an Acura, but have heard numerous horror stories about dealer service. BMW? Well - yes - you'd clearly want a CPO, but even so plan on having spend quite a bit of time at the dealership. Have your tried a Lexus GS? With your wife along? Don't try an LS - you'll have difficulty prying your wife out of the car!
CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #3

the IS350 is nice, but REALLY small.

a GS might work. gotta check those out. the newer ones look pretty cool.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #4

The '07 328i is a lots of fun to drive, has a pleasant ride your family will love, has more than adequate power, and offers phenomenal value. My 77 yr old father comes back grinning every time he drives his 328xi wagon. To me his would be perfect if it had a stick.

My brother bought an '06 330xi (~$25k, well optioned, 30k mi) last October after selling me his '02 S. He really enjoys it, but still misses the box a bit, and his wife, a long time Civic driver who "doesn't care about cars," is absolutely gaga over it. She now wants a 3 series wagon.

I couldn't feel much difference in power between the 330 and 328, so I'd go for the 328 to save a few bucks.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:01 AM   #5

Why not a Volvo S-40 T5. It might just suprise you. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #6

I don't know if I want another volvo..

I have an S70 T5. it hauls a$$. mine is the high pressure turbo version, and it has a cat back exhaust on it. it's probably pushing 250-260hp and it is only about 3200-3300lbs... lots of torque... and lots of torque steer..

I used to have a volvo s60R that was majorly modded and ran with E46 M3s in drags and on a track. sold that car b/c it had too many maintenance issues.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
bmussatti

I hear for $30,000 cash you could buy GM!
Old 06-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #8

Audi S4

Audi S4/A4 avant

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #9

So...let me see if I got this...you already have 2 "toys", your wife has an SUV, and you're going to buy yourself another "toy"? So that's 3 toys for you and none for your wife? Hardly seems fair...
CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I hear for $30,000 cash you could buy GM!
Now that "We the People" own GM, just put in for a company car. Just avoid Pontiacs and Saturns. Maybe the new Caddy station wagon.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #11

Get a 335, trust me you will love it, and its gonna be way faster then the boxster
Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #12

If you're thinking long-term, you've already hit the nail on the head with Acura. (Lexus would be good too, but it looks like you'd be in the ES350 range, which is ugly -seeing as how an IS is too small.)

It's funny, my (twin) brother has a TL Type-S and I have a 330i. I feel like I ride high up in a TL. The BMW feels lower and is obviously much more sporty.

What about an 02-03ish M5?
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #13

I agree with yellowbox... just go drive an Audi. I bought an A6, and I'm loving it!

Different experience than the Box, but for a DD, it's the ticket for me.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #14

Audi? Really?

Remember when he said "I'm also thinking long term reliability and maintenance costs."? If a Honda product is on the table alongside an Audi, I can't help but to think the German is gonna make the cut.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

Old 06-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
If you're thinking long-term, you've already hit the nail on the head with Acura. (Lexus would be good too, but it looks like you'd be in the ES350 range, which is ugly -seeing as how an IS is too small.)

It's funny, my (twin) brother has a TL Type-S and I have a 330i. I feel like I ride high up in a TL. The BMW feels lower and is obviously much more sporty.

What about an 02-03ish M5?
Not an Audi, but a BMW? You can't really suggest that, considering reliability and maintenance costs, with a straight face, can you?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
Not an Audi, but a BMW? You can't really suggest that, considering reliability and maintenance costs, with a straight face, can you?

Ah, touché.
BMW suggestion withdrawn.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
Ah, touché.
BMW suggestion withdrawn.
All in good fun and fellowship, Jeph.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #18

You are looking for a DD that is fun?

Shouldn't the primary concern for a DD be reliability/price?

Looks like you are looking into the entry level executive sedan/coupe, might I suggest the new C class? Maybe get the new CLK when it comes out. Actually I rather like the G37 as well, but I don't think Infiniti is to everyone's taste.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #19

I like Audi myself. I've been lookin also. My accord is on its last legs and I'm think of gettin an 2006 Audi A8L. They're all hovering around the $30,000 range. Lots of room. I think its a great lookin car and its just plain sweet. I'm sure maintenance is high just like any other german car. I'm still waiting to get one. most likely be the end of the year before I get one.
back on topic. I like the 3 series bmw but theres no rear seat leg room. Otherwise great car.
billybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #20

yeah, I know that since I have the boxster, my DD doesn't HAVE to be a "fun" car, but given how much I have to choose from, I don't see why I can't have a DD that is somewhat pleasuring to drive. It's not like I"m gonna go out and get an M3...

now if I SOLD the boxster - *maybe* I could talk the wifey into an M3 sedan. but I'd have to sell the box and I don't know if I really want to do that. even for an M3. Maybe to get a 911 Carrera 4S - but I can't fit all the kids in the back!

the 335 is high on my list b/c I know what a cool car it is - my one fear is repairs in the long term. If I ONLY kept it while it was certified, it would be less of a worry - but I'm guessing I'll have this next car a good 4-5 years and OFF the certified warranty for at least a couple of years.

right now, I'm driving the boxster more often b/c it's so fun and my DD is so horribly boring. I'd like to drive the boxster even less and REALLY make it last a while. I have 75k on it now - and I'd like to see it have under 100k in 4 years...

if I had a relatively fun DD - I'd be more content to let the boxster sit all week and only take it out for truly fun drives or track stuff.

the TL-S is IMHO - one of the best combinations of practicality with a touch of fun.

the 335 is major fun, major speed, not TOO mcuh more $$ than a more sedate TL-S - but in the long term, I can imagine repair costs to be really bad.

the IS350 is too small.

the older gen M5s are a warranty/maintenacne nighmare.

the Audi S4 woudl be cool - although I think they are even smaller in teh back than the 335?? I looked at one once and remembered thinking it was super tight in the back. i need something WIDE enough that i can fit three kids in the back w/out having them feel like sardines...

the TL will do it. the 3 series would do it albeit slightly tigher.

the new TSX suprisingly is really wide. not as much leg room as the larger acuras like the RL - but just as wide.

one car i'm curious to chekc out is the Pontiac G8 GT. I've seen those diret cheap and OMFG they fly. BUT, and this is a big BUT - I have a sneaking suspicion that I will hate it. I've driven a few vettes and I hated them all. they felt like cheap POS crap boxes. i be thte G8 is no different. it gets great reviews though for performance. they claim it handles really well and it is a BIG car. I would fit all three kids across teh back NO PROBLEM> it's almost as wide/spacious in teh back seat of a G8 as my new MDX!

and whoever aid I have 3 toys? I only have the boxster. my wife has an MDX. I have a POS volvo that has no air. the volvo is gonna get sold and I'll ge ta DD. that's one toy for me.

would any of you seriously consider selling your box and getting into a new M3 sedan? i haven't driven one - and kind of fear that if I did i might rrun hoem to get the pink slip for the boxster and trade it in... hahahah. okay, not reallly, but i would proably think about it ...