Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #1

Question Hood and Trunk switches '01

Same old problem as previously posted many times...this time with unusual solution.
Old problem: Went to start the '01 Boxster and Battery was dead after sitting a few weeks. Happened a couple of times before, so no problemo right? In fuse box, pull out the (+) red connector, hook up the positive cable from the jump box, (-) to the door latch, pull the hood release switch and NOTHING happens. Try again, NOTHING! My heart sinks into despair and I call the Stealership due to no response on the Forum. Advisor tells me to try a better ground on the door hinge. I do, NOTHING. I try the old cigar lighter to cigar lighter cable and only wind up with a smoking connector on the Boxster side after turning the key on.

I pull the trim around the fuse block off and check around looking for something. I discover that the pull out (+) red connector wires lead to a "relay" that pulls out from the bottom of the fuse block. I wiggle the (+) jumper cable and feel that the relay is "clicking" and has power, but nothing opens.
Go back on search mode in the Forum and try all that I read, NOTHING, until I try something I read there about trying the key FOB button. The key was in the door as prescribed turned to the left, pushed button, again NOTHING.
Pulled the key out of the door and in desperation, pushed the hood release button a few more times (maybe three) and BEHOLD the lid popped OPEN!!!

Removed battery and took to shop to be tested and charged, put back in car, reset the radio code, the windows, etc. and then tried both hood and trunk releases on the sill plate and guess what? NOTHING! Neither one works, but the old FOB still opens both. Called the Stealership and advisor said he would check the paper schematic and see what he could determine after I had checked every fuse in the panel. Still waiting for his answer.

Could it be that funky little relay I found? Are there other relays I missed? I must have an open somewhere, hot or ground. But why are both switches inop at the same time? BTW, at the same time all this happened, my volt/ohm meter took a dump, and my cool Sears LED trouble light would not charge. I am having an electical critical day on my biorhythm chart I guess.

Any clue would be greatly appreciated. I can guarantee, however, that if I have to drive to the Stealership for help, it will be with both lids unlocked.

Thanks,
Don

greesedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #2

Question

Still looking for some help on the post below if possible.
Thanks,
Don
greesedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #3

Wish I could help, but would recommend you post on www.renntech.org

The forum is much more technical in nature (though I enjoy this for entertainment).

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote