Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #1

Thumbs up Ferrari 360 vs Boxster/Cayman

With Ferrari prices falling faster than a corn fed cow off a Grand Canyon cliff :ah:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245514

the idea of comparing these cars is not anywhere near as far fetched as you might think. Well, at least purchase price wise that is.

The 360s can be bought, no stories, for approximately $75,000, soon to be pushing the $50,000 mark. As we know, a 2008 P-Car can be had for a comparable amount.

No doubt, the 360 is an awesome car but is it truly one you could see replacing a potential Boxster or Cayman purchase?

Last edited by Estranged Kitten; 06-04-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Estranged Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #2

I guess you don't have much of an idea of how much it costs to maintain a Ferrari every year...

Starting from 360 cost of maintenance have gone down but we're still not talking about Pcar cost here.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
I guess you don't have much of an idea of how much it costs to maintain a Ferrari every year...
Actually, I do, I have had three.

Quote:
Starting from 360 cost of maintenance have gone down but we're still not talking about Pcar cost here.
No but it doesn't make the comparisons any less purposeful.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #4

Also you should look at those 360s that are going for that much, they're not exactly in mint shape.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #5

Don't feed the trolls.

Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Also you should look at those 360s that are going for that much, they're not exactly in mint shape.
I have looked at several in near mint shape for the numbers I originally posted. The premise is sound, the cars can be compared and there will be buyers who will put them on the same list when looking to spend near the same dollars. One is my wife.

The driving experiences are not at all similar which I believe will mean that there may be a clear distinction between the buyers of each car. But whodathunkit, a Ferrari at the price of a Cayman S?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #7

Although an awesome car, you better be real careful getting into the Ferrari realm unless you have deep pockets.

Personally, I think Porsche cars are engineered a whole lot better and stay "in tune" alot longer.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade
Although an awesome car, you better be real careful getting into the Ferrari realm unless you have deep pockets.

Personally, I think Porsche cars are engineered a whole lot better and stay "in tune" alot longer.
In some ways, I would agree but the 360 hasn't had the engine issues the early, 2005 and 3.2/3.4l cars have.

Then a Cayman doesn't have a $5,000 windshield either

My 360 was rock solid, except for warranty work, ne'er a problem, sold at 30,000 miles. It was a coupe, wifey wants a spider.

From a cost of ownership perspective, Porsche wins hands down. From a driving experience factor, nothing beats a F 360/430 series. YMMV.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estranged Kitten
In some ways, I would agree but the 360 hasn't had the engine issues the early, 2005 and 3.2/3.4l cars have.

Then a Cayman doesn't have a $5,000 windshield either

My 360 was rock solid, except for warranty work, ne'er a problem, sold at 30,000 miles. It was a coupe, wifey wants a spider.

From a cost of ownership perspective, Porsche wins hands down. From a driving experience factor, nothing beats a F 360/430 series. YMMV.

The Ferrari is the more capable vehicle IMO. However and it's a big however, anyone who thinks they can compare the service costs and not see dramatic differences is fooling them self. I'm sure a clutch job is around ten K if you can find someone competent where you live to do it. I hate parking my Porsche now, having a Ferrari would be nerve racking in my city of jealous, key the rich man's car, angry residents.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 06-04-2009 at 01:27 PM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #10

I guess it depends what kind of driver you are.

Most Ferrari guys (if the ones for sale are any indication) are afraid to drive their cars or are too busy to. How many time have you ever seen a Ferrari in the parking lot of PepBoys or 7-11? The owners probably spend more time drooling at it than sitting in the driver's seat. Not that it isn't drool worthy...

A 430 Scuderia probably ranks as my Dream car. Funny how many people stopped me in my car to tell me mine was their dream car.

btw, a 360 owner on another Porsche forum does his own work and couldn't believe how poorly assembled the inner workings of the car were. He said he tossed a bucket full of random fasteners and things were just slapped together.
Beautiful on the outside but still a long way to go before being as tidy as a German vroom vroom party startar.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #11

I think I'd look more to F355. Similar or lower price range. One of the best looking and reliable of Ferraris. my group leader at work has one and drives it to work a LOT.
CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #12

I doubt a Ferrari is poorly assembled, neither would I believe that of a Lamborghini.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #13

^ It's in the Italian DNA to be messy where no one is looking. It's in the German DNA to be meticulus in case someone is looking...
That first hand story about the 360 didn't surprise me one bit. Ferrari came a long way in the early part of this decade but I doubt the transformation was total. Just about everything mechanically speaking from Italy eventually has issues because they don't have that ethic of the Japanese and Germans to make things as water tight as possible. They work to live and not live to work....flame suit on
Old 06-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
I doubt a Ferrari is poorly assembled, neither would I believe that of a Lamborghini.
Oh it's not they're poorly assembled, it's just that every part starts at $1000 so when stuff breaks (and they do) prepare to take out your credit card.

Then again, if you're rich this is not a problem.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I guess it depends what kind of driver you are.

Most Ferrari guys (if the ones for sale are any indication) are afraid to drive their cars or are too busy to. How many time have you ever seen a Ferrari in the parking lot of PepBoys or 7-11? The owners probably spend more time drooling at it than sitting in the driver's seat. Not that it isn't drool worthy...

A 430 Scuderia probably ranks as my Dream car. Funny how many people stopped me in my car to tell me mine was their dream car.

btw, a 360 owner on another Porsche forum does his own work and couldn't believe how poorly assembled the inner workings of the car were. He said he tossed a bucket full of random fasteners and things were just slapped together.
Beautiful on the outside but still a long way to go before being as tidy as a German vroom vroom party startar.
Low mileage Ferrari cars held their resale numbers well....until now. They were typically resold to the dealership before the 7.5K maintenance which is expensive. The dealer would re-shoe, perform the maintenance, re-pad, do warranty work, possibly a clutch....make the car mechanically as new, then resell it. The previous owner would be buying a new one and taking as little of a hit as possible. Them days are gone.

I'm looking for a 430 Scud myself. Or will be if the wifey goes Boxster.:dance:
I agree with your mechanic friend, btw. You ought to see inside the asbestos of a 430 manifold/exhaust header set. Which are going to burn up eventually. They are truly garbage.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #16

I dunno if you can swing it and have taken some good position in the market, actually you shold be selling by now...and the retirement's all secure and what not...I don't think there's been a better time to buy a Ferrari even if only for a year. I have a feeling that once you've gotten used to it going back to Porsche is not such a big deal. Kinda like going out with a supermodel, ok now you know what it's like....NEXT!
Old 06-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Poorly assembled may not be the exactly correct choice of words but the parts which are fabricated and brought together as a whole can leave much to be desired for a car that runs mega thousands of dollars. In terms of quality not driveability.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #18

There is a crossover point where a savvy Ferrari 360 buyer could justify, financially, it v.s. say a Cayman S 2008.

Find one which has its 30K service
Older 360s typically have had all their bugs out of them
In warranty with new F1 clutch
Drive it for 20,000 - 30,000 miles

If you get the right 360, then the cost of ownership should be close to the same. You have to avoid major mechanical, non warrantied work and hope the electronics stay in place.

Never before could one make this statement but today, it is true.

Makes you think, doesn't it?
Old 06-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCGuy
I think I'd look more to F355. Similar or lower price range. One of the best looking and reliable of Ferraris. my group leader at work has one and drives it to work a LOT.
The 355 is a great choice in this comparison but the 360 pricing will soon be at the same entry point. Note the pricing in this thread and these cars are not, repeat, not being sold at $75,000. The market is swelling with more 360s every day. :dance:
Old 06-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Put a Ferrari up on a lift. Then say whether it's poorly assembled. The build quality on a Ferrari is awful compared with any of its Italian competitors. I've seen a Testarossa, F355, and a 360 Challenge on a lift. The Testarossa was pitiful, I can't believe those cars sold for what they did, not a single weld on that thing is good. The fins on the side appear to be an afterthought, they're held on to the side via a 10mm silver hex head bolt that can clearly be seen. Although they were able to that because the only person to see that would be the guy you just ran over.

The quality got better through the years but, not good enough to drop $100K on one.

You can't really even compare Ferrari and Lamborghini anymore. The Gallardo is German/Italian built. As is the Murcielago now.

An F355 is an amazing car to drive, just think 400hp go kart. Nothing and I mean nothing sounds like a Ferrari and it has a breathtaking exhaust note. Given the choice between Lambo or Ferrari, I'd chose the Gallardo. Gallardo with Egear and a Tubi is a close second.

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote