Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #1

What is a multi point inspection

I just got a coupon from my local Porsche dealer that offered the following. My question is two fold 1) what is a mutipoint inspection and 2) do you think this is a good deal?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only $39.95 A/C System Check
Multi-Point Inspection
Battery Test
Set Tire Pressures
Top Off Fluids
Courtesy Car Wash and Vac
Offer Expires 06.30.09. Must present coupon upon arrival to ensure savings. Offer not valid on previous service. Cannot be combined with any other offer. See Service Advisor for details. Valid at Leith Porsche. #897739346

ChefCarnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCarnivore
I just got a coupon from my local Porsche dealer that offered the following. My question is two fold 1) what is a mutipoint inspection and 2) do you think this is a good deal?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only $39.95 A/C System Check
Multi-Point Inspection
Battery Test
Set Tire Pressures
Top Off Fluids
Courtesy Car Wash and Vac
Offer Expires 06.30.09. Must present coupon upon arrival to ensure savings. Offer not valid on previous service. Cannot be combined with any other offer. See Service Advisor for details. Valid at Leith Porsche. #897739346
Ask the dealer what it means to them. Usually, it's a quick visual of fluids, filters, joints and rubber bits, about 10-15 mins of looking around.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:55 AM   #3

If your car was at 30K and the AC was cool, I's say forget it. But with an older car like yours, it may be good to get an expert to poke around under it and advise you on what you may soon need. However, I'd expect an estimate from these guys of over $500 for stuff that "you gotta do" that will need to be carefully considered and perhaps turned into a DIY project.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:04 AM   #4

It's the dealer's way to get you in the door so they can find a hundred ways to spend your money. Do yourself a favor and take the car to an independent; it's not under warranty anyway.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:38 AM   #5

Dealers in Dallas occasionally have free inspection weekend events, complete with catered food and sweet cars on display. Results have been mixed. One dealer tech said my brake pads needed to be replaced soon but the pads actually had several thousand miles of life remaining. They pointed out obvious stuff like tire wear but missed both rear wheels rubbing against the e-brake cable. It could be beneficial if you have a particular concern or don't know what to look for, but otherwise in my experience you can do just as well on your own.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
It's the dealer's way to get you in the door so they can find a hundred ways to spend your money. Do yourself a favor and take the car to an independent; it's not under warranty anyway.
In other words: Cha-ching.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote