Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 11:03 AM   #1

Sold my '99 now what?

I just sold my '99 Boxster with a manual transmission in order to replace it with something with an auto so my wife can drive it. She knows how to drive a manual, but refuses to drive it in town out of fear of rolling back etc....

I am torn between a heavily optioned '05 Boxster S with the tiptronic and a well optioned 911 Cabrio with the same tiptronic transmission. I realize this is a Boxster forum, but what do you guys think? Both cars about the same money, but the Boxster being 3 years newer is a good argument. And the additional 40 hp in the 911 is in it's favor. It seems to be a lot harder to find a low mile 911 as opposed to a low mile Boxster. Apparently the 911 guys tend to use them more as a daily driver where I see a lot of Boxsters with extremely low miles. Just a guess!

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Tony

lotecredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #2

Ask yourself the questions: Do I need four seats (911)? Do I need "practical" (Honda Accord)? Will I be employed in 6 weeks (1995 Ford Pick-Up)?

My thought is that the more options you have, the more break/fail. So with the choices you posted, I would go with the stripped 911.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
Ask yourself the questions: Do I need four seats (911)? Do I need "practical" (Honda Accord)? Will I be employed in 6 weeks (1995 Ford Pick-Up)?

My thought is that the more options you have, the more break/fail. So with the choices you posted, I would go with the stripped 911.
I don't need four seats as we currently have a Toyota Avalon, a 4 door Wrangler Rubicon and a crew cab Ford diesel pickup. I am self employed (motorcycle dealer) so employment is not an issue. Just torn between the two models. It is simply a toy for me as I have started riding motorcycles a lot less than I used to.

Tony
Old 05-31-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
The Boxster is simply more fun. The Carrera has more panache. Pick your pleasure.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:01 PM   #5

I've a novel idea for you.

Let your wife drive both without saying a word about your likes and dislikes and listen to which car she talks more about and then buy that one.

I'm betting she will go for the heavily equipped Boxster. More doodats on the dash and his and hers trunks! None of your other cars have that.

You really can't go wrong between your choices though. Just make sure you get a nice CPO warranty with the car so PCA has to foot the bill when something breaks.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I've a novel idea for you.

Let your wife drive both without saying a word about your likes and dislikes and listen to which car she talks more about and then buy that one.

I'm betting she will go for the heavily equipped Boxster. More doodats on the dash and his and hers trunks! None of your other cars have that.

You really can't go wrong between your choices though. Just make sure you get a nice CPO warranty with the car so PCA has to foot the bill when something breaks.
+1

Smart man, that Randall.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:51 PM   #7

own the best of both worlds... 911 Cabriolet! Its basically a faster boxster

Last edited by nola911; 05-31-2009 at 08:54 PM.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #8

I come from a Porsche family and I have driven many Porsche's over the years. My mom has an 03' 996 Cab and personally, I don't enjoy driving it as much as my own car. I'm not a fan of the tiptronic unless it's a Turbo. I think it's sluggish and a bit notchy at times. Her car doesn't handle as good as mine and even with the added hp it doesn't make up for the added weight.

"There's no compensation for more weight"- Alois Ruf

Last edited by yellowboxster01; 06-01-2009 at 09:20 AM.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Great advice, and it's actually why I now have a Boxster. I went through a Miata, a BMW, and a Lexus SC430 in little more than a year. My neighbor has a Maserati spyder, and I was looking at everything from older an older Ferrari to a Lotus, a couple of friends have Carrera cabs, and none of those made any impression on my wife. She thinks Ferraris look like Mustangs. She did like the Maserati Qutroporte in "Entourage" because it had 4 doors. But she likes the Boxster because it "looks like a car that Grace Kelly would drive - it doesn't look like a sports car". I told her not to ever say that around other Boxster owners
CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:29 PM   #10

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to go with the '02 911 Cab over the '05 Boxster S. I have always wanted a 911 and I hope the 40 extra hp will help with the tiptronic. I will probably look for a manual Boxster S once I get past this deal with her.

Tony