Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #1

Question Brakes Boxster 2001

I'm getting ready for replace my front and rear brakes include the pads(thinking to use ceramic pads).My question after reading the service manual it is If I have to replace all the caliper hardware(I mean the pin, the clip ,the retainer and the caliper fastening)?and which tools do i need to make easier on me have some skill but no experience.My is a Boxster base 2001

andre69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:34 PM   #2

Tools? That's easy. A pair of channel-lock pliers a drift pin of some sort (a #2 phillips screwdriver would work too). That's it.

Use the channel-locks to remove the little cotter pin. Push down the clip with your hand and use the drift pin/screwdriver to push out the pin. You may need to use some force to get it out (hammer), but hopefully not. Then open up the channel-locks a bit and squeeze the pad and the caliper. On the pad, put the pliers on the part that sticks up for the rod to go through. Put the pliers on the outside of the caliper where the rod goes through that. Squeeze a bit to compress the cylinder. Then do the other one. You will notice that when you compress the second one, the first one may come out a bit. You want to find a spot where they are both as compressed as possible. Pull 'em out, put the new ones in (make sure you don't mix front and rear). Put the clip in, push it down with your fingers while you slide the rod back in. Replace the pin. Done.

You may have to clean up the rod a bit. One of mine tends to collect brake dust and I have to give it a light sanding every time.

If you have the wear sensor, you will have to unclip the old one, and clip the new one in. Since I track my car, I don't use that anymore as I'm always changing pads (and looking at their wear).
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre69
I'm getting ready for replace my front and rear brakes include the pads(thinking to use ceramic pads).My question after reading the service manual it is If I have to replace all the caliper hardware(I mean the pin, the clip ,the retainer and the caliper fastening)?and which tools do i need to make easier on me have some skill but no experience.My is a Boxster base 2001
Here's a good resource: http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:15 AM   #4

Porsche also recomendd replacing the bolts fastening the caliper to the car, if you need to remove them to change rotors. I know that it sounds like overkill, but that's what is recommended. Yeah...I'd change the hdwr kit. I'd hesitate to change the wear sensors if they seem good. Can do that easily if they fail when replaced.