Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #1

sound help

I just got a 2000 Boxster S. It came with a Kenwood 5120 head unit. It already has the rear speaker kit. It says MB Quart on it but can"t find any specs on it.
The doors have DKE 113 MB quart 5.25 speakers already installed.
The car originally came with no speakers I believe, therefore there is no insert in the doors that came with the 5.25 speakers. The person before me just installed them and is using the whole door interior as a box. Is this OK?
Also there are no speakers in the dash. Is it better to put 4" full range speakers in there or would it be overkill. The existing speakers and the ones in the dash(If I decide to install) will be power by a 5 channel amp. I am planning to make or get made a fiberglass box for a subwoofer in the passenger side kickpanel. Would love to find a place who sells them but can't find any.
TIA

aqus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #2

Door speaker install sounds like it is fine. You will probably need to run new speaker wire to the trunk if that is where you intend to put the amp.

Full range 4" for the dash is a good idea. There are no direct drop in 4" speakers though. You will need some kind f retaining ring. Be careful on depth. Not a lot of room there. DB401's fit BTW. See here:

http://www.directcircuit.com/products/Porsche-Audio-Speaker-Upgrade-Kit.html

There is a kick panel enclosure made by a company called Monney, but I have written and called them several times and gotten no response.

Take a look at this. It may interest you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280305308681

funkdefino is offline   Reply With Quote