Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:59 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to AWay
997 Shifter on sale at Suncoast.

I'd planned on replacing my stock 986 S shifter with this 997 version after reading the DIY on this site. Supposedly it makes for a much smoother gear change and also slightly reduced throws. It's a drop in part as well so, just a simple job of removing and replacing. When I emailed Ric at Suncoast this morning he offered to put it on sale until the 18th for anyone else interested. Just thought I'd pass the info along.

Search "GB510" on the parts page to find the 997 shifter on sale.

AWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:19 AM   #2

I bought a 997 shifter from them about a month ago for $169.99. How much are they going for now? I was also wondering why it's always referred to as a "997" shifter? Isn't the 987 shifter the same as the 997 shifter?

Last edited by Adam; 06-12-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #3

Same, $169.99. I think regularly it's $180 thought it says on their site.

How did you like the upgrade? I also have an 03 S and think my stock shifter is quite poor. The shifts aren't smooth, sometimes they're clunky and I feel the gates could be better defined. Hoping the 997 shifter would remedy the situation.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #4

The 9X7 shifter is an upgrade to the 9X6 part...slightly shorter throw than it's predecessor, but not nearly as short as the B&M (my preference).

I felt the stock 9X6 sifter was way too long and vague; the 9X7 is improved and liked by those who don't like the aftermarket shifters.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWay

How did you like the upgrade? I also have an 03 S and think my stock shifter is quite poor. The shifts aren't smooth, sometimes they're clunky and I feel the gates could be better defined. Hoping the 997 shifter would remedy the situation.
The throws are noticably shorter, but not drastically so. The shifts feel about the same going into the gates and shift effort remains the same so I feel it's a good upgrade but not perfect. It has a slightly more positive and precise feel, but again nothing night and day. Nothing is going to transform the box shifter into a S2000 shifter, so I've come to accept this is probably as good as it's going to get which isn't half bad.

Last edited by Adam; 06-12-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

Quote:

There might be one of a few things going on with your shifter.

1. Shift action becomes more difficult when the front motor mount deteriorates due to cable routing.

2. The 2nd gear syncro on our transmissions has a tenancy to wear out. The gears will tend to grind a little going into second, especially cold, or will even pop out in extreme cases.

3. The bushings in the shift lever wear out, making the shift action "sloppy". The new shifter will fix this.

The shorter shift mechanism of the 987/997 does not make shifts smoother or less notchy than the 986/996 mechanism if both mechanisms are in good shape. The 987/997 mechanism shortens the shift and actually increases the actuation force a bit, but not to levels that most of us would find objectionable.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #7

I ordered one this morning.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
There might be one of a few things going on with your shifter.

1. Shift action becomes more difficult when the front motor mount deteriorates due to cable routing.

2. The 2nd gear syncro on our transmissions has a tenancy to wear out. The gears will tend to grind a little going into second, especially cold, or will even pop out in extreme cases.

3. The bushings in the shift lever wear out, making the shift action "sloppy". The new shifter will fix this.
Nice info regarding the motor mount. I wasn't aware of that. It definitely feels "grindy" going into 2nd and oddly enough 2nd gear has popped out twice now... This isn't sounding good for me. Are either of those two items easily replaceable? The motor mount sounds it, but the synchro does not.

Oh and I ordered the 997 shifter just now as well.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Nice info regarding the motor mount. I wasn't aware of that. It definitely feels "grindy" going into 2nd and oddly enough 2nd gear has popped out twice now... This isn't sounding good for me. Are either of those two items easily replaceable? The motor mount sounds it, but the synchro does not.

Oh and I ordered the 997 shifter just now as well.
Motor mount is a pretty simple job, especially if you have ramps and a jack.

Syncros, as you guessed, is not a small job. Porsche used to replace transmissions, they now rebuild, I think. there are other companies that now rebuild our transmissions too. You can get different gear ratios and they probably upgrade the syncros too.

http://www.****************************************.com/ShowItem/208345%20Porsche%20Boxster%20Rebuilt%20Transmissio n.aspx

http://www.motormeister.com/suz/trans/clutch_trans.htm

Hopefully the new shifter takes care of your issue.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #10

I've always been more interested in the 9x7 SHORT shifter - tighter and shorter yet not too stiff.

Previously the best price I could find was about $450, but I see Suncoast are now offering it for $290. Financial issues at the moment (i.e. no job) prevent me from going for it, otherwise I'd have one of those on order.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #11

9X7 Shifer

Another vote cast- I put a 9X7 shifter in my '02 S this weekend (about a 4 hour job with the B&M generic instructions), and I love it! Nice upgrade, not too stiff. I chose wisely (was thinking about a $$ 9X& Porsche short shifter).
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #12

I also put this in my car...the $169 987 shifter...(NOT the $350 987 short shifter)

my car has 75k miles. overalll, the shift action was reduced to the point that I coudl clearly tell it was shorter and better - and since the whole assembly was new, it felt tighter and more precise than my 10 year old part with 75k miles and who knows how many thousands of shifts....

it is NOT what I would call a "short" shifter - but it's "shorter" than what I had, and for $169, a great bang for the buck mod. I'll bet the $350 feels a lot shorter, but - but for the money, the regular one is just fine.

relatively easy DIY with the B&M instructions. set aside half a day or more to do it. i was anal and put the little bolts into bags, labeled them, laid them out all overt the garage floor, etc..to make sure everything went back in the exact hole it came out of, etc.....

one suggestion - if you ever think yo umight do a painted center console, buy it when you do the shifter, as yo uhave to pull that out at the same time - you coudl do two mods in one day.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #13

I too just purchased the 997 standard shifter from Porsche in Australia. I paid $340 from Porsche dealer in AUS as it would have cost me $180US to ship the part from USA.

I did the engine mount last weekend, what a difference that made! Doing the shifter this weekend, can't wait bring it on!
kouks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:34 AM   #14

997 Short Shifter on Sale!

After reading this forum, I started checking out the 997 short shift kit and found it listed with an internet special price of $305 at Carlsen Porsche (link below).

Part number is 997-424-983-00, but they specifically list it as 2005+ 911, whereas they list greater vehicle compatibility for some of the other shift kit parts. Based on this thread, it sounds like it'll fit my '03 S, so I think I'm pick one up at this price.

Anyone ever order anything from them?

http://www.carlsenporsche.com/accessories.php?action=details&catalog_id=73&category=4
19" black 997 Turbo wheels
Litronics
Fully De-Ambered
BumperPlugged
Painted badges
CSE Exhaust Mod
De-Snorked
FVD Headers and cats on the way
Dension GW 500 on the way
Bumperettes on the way
GT_YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_YellowJacket
After reading this forum, I started checking out the 997 short shift kit and found it listed with an internet special price of $305 at Carlsen Porsche (link below).

Part number is 997-424-983-00, but they specifically list it as 2005+ 911, whereas they list greater vehicle compatibility for some of the other shift kit parts. Based on this thread, it sounds like it'll fit my '03 S, so I think I'm pick one up at this price.

Anyone ever order anything from them?

http://www.carlsenporsche.com/accessories.php?action=details&catalog_id=73&category=4
That shifter will fit in your car. It's the one I want. Check out geoff's posts at Renntech.

Per my post above from the link in the thread starter, Suncoast are offering it for $290:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=GB510

Last edited by clickman; 06-18-2009 at 07:54 AM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
That shifter will fit in your car. It's the one I want. Check out geoff's posts at Renntech.

Per my post above from the link in the thread starter, Suncoast are offering it for $290:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=GB510

Thanks for the link to the discounted 997 kit. I saw your post up above, but I went to Suncoast's website directly last night, and they have the 997 short shift kit listed elsewhere on there for $350 still. Thanks again for the link!

19" black 997 Turbo wheels
Litronics
Fully De-Ambered
BumperPlugged
Painted badges
CSE Exhaust Mod
De-Snorked
FVD Headers and cats on the way
Dension GW 500 on the way
Bumperettes on the way
GT_YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote