Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #1

your last three non-maintenance repairs

just for the heck of it I called up US Fidelis after watching a commercial for a warranty quote. No dice. Which got me thinking in 50K miles I've only had a couple of repairs.
So here are my last three unexpected repairs with labor.

O2 sensor $200
throttle body $350
parking brake switch $5+$140 diag
Door clickers are dead -didnt replace.

That's it.
But I'm going to have to replace the starter that squeaks every fifth or sixth ignition.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #2

What the heck are "door clickers?"

My last three repairs were my front bearings and rear control arms (all four in the back). It was a LOT of money.

I was just washing the boxster the other day thinking that after the first two and a half years of replacing this or that most every other month, my car is very dependable and doesn't need much except oil changes and tires these days.

I guess when you replace every friggin' part on a car, it becomes like a new one with a scratched up paint job.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #3

Why did you need a new throttle body?

My only non-maintenance repairs since I owned the thing is the $20 H6W light bulb.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Well I haven't had any repairs per say,just regular stuff that gets replaced in time. All done at once almost 2 years ago.

Clutch,flywheel,r.m.s.,i.m.s.,oil change,front driver side wheel bearing.

$3.2k.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #5

I have had the car for about 15 months and have up about 12,000 on my 2000 base Boxster. No problems at all! Just oil changes and brake fluid change (rec by dealership). A very dependable car.
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:41 AM   #6

If your doing your starter, there are a couple of posts explaining some tricks I used.

I called US Fidelis too, they keep calling me back and dropping their price. I just keep asking for a copy of the policy before I sign up. They won't send it. So now every time they call, I keep saying "I'm just waiting for Dave to send the policy, like he said he would" ... which is a lie.

As far as non-maintenance repairs: Starter, climate control display and driver's door lock mech (dealer repair $$$)
Old 05-23-2009, 04:53 AM   #7

Smile

1 repair during my 15K miles after CPO purchase (2000 Boxster, 42K miles to-date);

Ignition switch ($35 DIY)
Mraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:15 AM   #8
bmussatti

After 27,000 miles and starting my 4th year of ownership, my non-maintenance repairs are:

$0.00

Old 05-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #9

Hardly worth totalling for me

'01S with 55k+ on it now bought with 42k on it

2 years ago a tired O2 sensor (front right)
3 years ago air leak in air induction
4 years ago seatbelt grounding per TSB

Total cost so far for 50 months of ownership averages ~$12 per month in unscheduled maintenance. I have another O2 sensor I'm about to drop in just to get their age matching but it has not yet really shown a code so I'm at a loss as to if it goes into the unscheduled, scheduled or owners paranoia categories.

I've also replaced one battery (car is probably on its third), no tires, air and pollen filters and done the once a year oil changes three times for $40 labor each and my supplied parts under the scheduled category.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #10

I've only had two non-maintenance repairs in the last 3.5 years that I've owned my Boxster:

Rear wheel bearings - $70 in parts, $260 for the special tool, I supplied the labor

Rear CV boots - $50 in parts, DIY labor

Overall I think our Boxsters are relatively cheap to run. I just bought a 996 and this is the biggest reason why I bought that car, because of my positive experience with the Boxster. I really wanted a Maserati Coupe GT (about $30K used), but there is only one Internet source for discounted parts and they don't carry much. Plus even with the discount you're still buying Ferrari parts. So the rear wheel bearings for the Maserati would have been $630 each!!! I figured down the road I was going to pay $10,000 more in gas (thirsty V8) and $10,000 more in maintenance and repair parts for a Maserati that was about the same cost up front as a 996.

I think we have to count ourselves lucky to have beautiful cars, with excellent German design and engineering, and still be able to run them relatively cost effectively. How many great resources do we have on the Net for help with repairing our cars? How many great resources do we have for cheap parts? How many resources do we have for great aftermarket parts and mods? Again, all of this I found lacking with Maserati. So I stayed in the Porsche family and I'm glad I did! I think we're pretty lucky with the Boxster support that is available on-line.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #11

Oil Change, Manual Trans Fluid Change, Front Motor Mount (Pedro Enthusiast's Mount, highly recommend), soon to do a clutch and tranny (G-Box) rebuild R&R. The Boxster has proven to be an extremely simple to DIY car to work on.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #12

I don't even want to answer this question... makes me too mad to even think about it! Let's just say... A LOT. Feels like at least one part quits on a bi-weekly basis. Porsche's create a desire that's hard for to replace though... do I really want an S2000? Not really.
Arctic Silver /Black interior
Desnorkled then REsnorkled (planning on Revo flash & prob B&B Exhaust)
mylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylamb
I don't even want to answer this question... makes me too mad to even think about it! Let's just say... A LOT. Feels like at least one part quits on a bi-weekly basis. Porsche's create a desire that's hard for to replace though... do I really want an S2000? Not really.
Do you have a Finland build?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #14

I wouldn't classify these as repairs, but:

LN billet oil filter adapter (with Mobil 1 fine mesh filter)
LN magnetic drain plug
LN 160* low temp t-stat

Hopefully with these additions, I won't be needing to repair my engine anytime soon.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Do you have a Finland build?

yeah, Usapuniki, or whatever it's called. I have read in numerous publications that this makes no difference.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #16

2000 S, Finland build, 20 months as 2nd owner, 10K miles under my butt, 102K total miles. $0 in repairs.

I have done some DIY upgrades, however. Optima battery, bright white headlight bulbs, PSE muffler, ROW M030 springs, struts, and sways, and adjustable sway bar drop links.

I do plan to do all 4 wheel bearings next Winter -- left rear and right front are both starting to go. However, given my mileage I wouldn't classify wheel bearing replacement as a repair.

~~~~~

My previous Porsche was an '86 Carrera. That was probably the "cheapest" car I've ever owned. Sold it for $2K less than my purchase price. I did put about $4K into it over 7 years of ownership and 35K miles, many of which were on track at DEs. Less than $1K per year in depreciation, upgrades, and maintenance -- pretty amazing, actually.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:14 AM   #17
Track rat

Garage
98 Boxster 2.5l 5spd Finland build. Bought in 2005 from Carmax with 63k miles. A one owner sweetie. I gladly paid top dollar for her at the time (about $20K) She now has 80k miles and a dozen track days. Never a drop of oil on the garage floor.

Unschseduled repairs to date:
1. New Bosch battery $90(sort of normal maintenance as the battery in the car was original).
2. Cracked coolant tank- approx. $600 including labor.
3. Changed MAF. DIY, $290ish for the part.
4. Top would not move after spirited AX day, getting cold, long drive ahead. I unplugged the top relay and plugged it back in... Shazzam! It just rattled loose. Zero $.

That is it. Pretty darn reliable car. I have owned Toyotas with more issues than this. Oil changes, filters, tires and brakes I consider normal maintenance.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #18

Some of these low maint. stories are pretty impressive. I'm glad you're having very few issues. Mine was apparently built by apes. Stoned apes. I have probably been in the shop 13-14 times in just under 3 years & 25K miles. The dealer actually comps me some because they're like "dude, sorry... we'd hate to see you move to another brand..."

A.P.E.S....
Old 05-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #19

2000 S (Finland)
Owned almost 2 years. 42000 miles

recharge AC $90
water pump (inc. thermo, belt) $950
ignition switch $450 ( I think)
axle boots $500

the water pump was a surprise
sepia2.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #20

I have mentioned it before, that except for mod issues and basic maintenance, my 2000 base has been very reliable. I bought it three years ago with 43K on it, it now has over 87K and is going strong.

I just got 29.4 mpg crusing at at 75 mph on a 750 mile road trip. Which pleased me after hearing how messing with exhaust systems can bugger up the mileage on our cars. I am also amazed at how little oil the car uses, maybe 1/2 a quart maximum between oil changes (5-7K). Mine seems very well put together and brings the Boxster smile to my face every time I get in it....

Ed

:dance:

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote