Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
cartagena

I Need Some Help with a Repair

I am trying to install new headlight bulbs. I got everything done so far but I just cannot seem to get the cluster back into the fender. Is there some secret way to line up the electrical plug on the back so it goes in? Cause it aint working for me after an hour of wiggling it around.

It is a 987.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #2

Are you having problems with the locking mechanism to secure the headlamp housing, the electrical connection or both?
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:19 AM   #3

These can be an SOB. First, after all that pushing and shoving attempting to get the thing back in, you may have damaged the electrical connections, so check the plug and sockets carefully. Also make sure that you did not dislodge the socket in the fender (compare the left and right).

When you remove these in the future, carefully note the exact path that they slide out so you can mimic that when replacing them. You can twist the special wrench around 75% and then refasten it to see the exact path the unit slides on.

But for today, I can only advise taking a rest, being very patient, and NOT FORCING (oh, is is tempting!). Look at the tracks under the lamps and the mechanism that catches and pulls the unit into place for a better understanding of the path.

And good luck!
Old 05-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
cartagena

I got them in tonight. The problem resulted from myself not lining up the little plastic things that stick out with the track. And you kind of have to push down at the same time you are pushing it in.

Porsche made this whole process far too complicated. I use to work on my own cars 20 years ago and cannot remember anything this confusing about changing a simple light bulb.

For those who have not had the experience there is a little spring like thing that holds the bulb in place firmly so it does not rattle. Well this spring is held in place by a screw that is so tiny that it only covers about 1/2 of the spring. So you have to sit there with one hand pushing very hard to keep the spring in place while using your other hand to try and put the tiny screw in. Now, if they had made the screw about 2 millimeters larger it would have been 10 times easier. Five times the spring went flying out into the air and, of course, landed in the grass. If my maid was not there to find it for me I would have went NUTS. I also need my secretary to get me a shot of rum twice due to frustration so this definitely is a 3 person job. Note: when you remove the screw to take off the light remember to put your hand out to catch the spring because it goes a good 20 feet. It could probably take out an eyeball as well.

And what is up with the headlamp "tool". If it was not for this forum I would never have figured out there was a tool. My owners manual is not in a language that I read well. They could have just had a rod coming out that we could twist. But I guess that would have added a whole 10 grams to the car.

I bought these "white" bulbs while back in Canada that the guy told me were "really bright". Well they were pretty much EQUAL to the bulb already in there except a little more whitish. I decided to leave the original lights in it and put these lights in my new armored Land Cruiser that I am getting tomorrow.

So this whole experience has been a giant waste of my time. Thanks Porsche. And thanks to the loser who sold me the lights.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #5

Fog light is fun as well

I just changed mine tonight - be nice to your assistant you will need small hands and good eyes to reach in there and pull it out.

Perfect job for a dental assistant I used to date.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #6

I think part of the complication was that at one point the litronics assembly were easy to steal... you can take them out without getting in thru opening the hood.

As for the headlight "tool", it's the same as a 5mm socket, at least for the 986 it is.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote