986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Which Zaino products for Seal Gray? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/20697-zaino-products-seal-gray.html)

yimmy149 05-19-2009 12:45 PM

Which Zaino products for Seal Gray?

I want to try claying and waxing my Seal Gray Boxster. The car is garaged on rainy days, and I'm hoping I don't need to wash it too often.

a) Is Zaino the right choice?

b) Which products should I use - I see some are better for light cars or dark cars, Seal Gray seems to be right in the middle.

Thanks.

-james

bmussatti 05-19-2009 04:00 PM

I have been using Zaino for 3 years. Great stuff. Good choice. I think you will be very happy with Z2 or Z5.

Mike_Yi 05-19-2009 04:00 PM

Zaino is generally deemed better for lighter colored cars rather than dark cars. Zaino will make your car very shiny, which most people find more appealing on lighter color cars. On dark color cars, most people go for a deep look. AFAIK, you can only get that with waxes. Zaino is not a wax, it's a polymer polish/sealant.

Having said that, I use Zaino on both of my cars. My Boxster is black, and my Firehawk is a medium, metallic orange (on the dark side of medium). I am very happy with the results. It gives the car a "candy coated" look. The main reason I use Zaino as opposed to wax on my cars is to save time. Zaino last around six months. Wax generally doesn't last that long. It takes me about 4 hours to do a "quick" wash on my Firehawk. A good wash with two coats of Zaino will take me all day. Therefore, I don't want to be doing that once a month.

Z-5 is usually what you use first. Z-5 helps hide minor scratches. Z-2 does less scratch hiding, so you use that when you get the car looking they way you want it with Z-5. Most people say that Zaino looks best with at least 5 coats of Z-5, then follow it up with Z-2. Of course, you want to use ZFX so you don't have to wait as long between coats. Z-6 is kind of a finishing/detailing spray. It is recommended to wipe the car down with Z-6 after every coat of Z-5 or Z-2.

fatmike 05-19-2009 06:49 PM

Some good advise right there from Mike_Yi.

I use Zaino & like it. There are other products that are good too -- but I am satisfied with the results from Zaino and have no reason to look elsewhere.

In addition to claying, I recommend the ZPC on an random orbit buffer. The ZPC is a gentle polish. With the buffer it will remove all swirls and all but the worst scratches. Its a lot easier than you think and this is the critical step in making the car glow. You don't need to use the polish everytime. Once (or once a year).

Good luck. Post some pictures!

Mike_Yi 05-20-2009 07:37 AM

If you use the ZPC, make sure you get the right pads for your paint. My car is black and when I used ZPC with the orange and yellow pads, it made the swirls worse. I have to redo it and finish with the white pad to get rid of the swirlds. It does make a difference though.

Remember that any time you use ZPC or the clay, you are removing the polish. So you basically have to start over. On my Firehawk, I clay my car every other year or so. The Zaino lasts long enough, and I've got enough coats on that it looks great that long.

If you read the "application", "FAQs", and "tips & tricks" sections on the Zaino Bros' website, that should provide you with enough info to get you going.